BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever replaced the entire grip assembly on the LT? My throttle grip slides completely off exposing the metal underneath. I guess this would also be a good time for the throttle cable upgrade (I have a Y2K).

Any help/insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Darryl, can you add a little more text to describe what is coming off? Is it the whole grip assembly all the way down to the chromed handlebar?

Loren

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
If it is the rubber part over the heater element ,you could try some grip glue . There are a few out there, Honda makes one , & I have bought at least one other brand . A little dab will do ya.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If the grip rubber is all that is slipping off I agree, just reglue it with some all purpose cement but make sure you don't get any glue down at the bottom of the grip where it can get in between the grip shell and your handle bar and cause sticking.

If the grip rubber came loose because your throttle is stiff then yes by all means do the throttle cable update. I did mine this summer on my 2002 and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. The action is much lighter and I doubt it puts nearly as much force on the rubber grip.

If your grip rubber and the inner grip shell are coming off you have an entirely different problem. Normally to get both parts off you have to remove some of the plastic housing that covers the throttle cable ends then rotate the throttle to a specific position to pull it off. If this is the case chances are something is broken and will need to be replaced. While you are in there it would be a good time to do the cable update.

Steve

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Loren,

Sorry for the REALLY late reply. Yes, it comes off down to the chrome (metal) bar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts