BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys ... Has anyone else had this problem?!?

I've got an 06 Ocean Blue K12lt with grey seats and pads and the top case arm rests (that surround the rear speakers) are developing a brownish spotting... Looks almost like mildew.

Bike has only been in rain a couple times and I've always cleaned her up. Tried a number of products to clean this up and nothing is working. It appears the armrests are so porous that moisture trapped in the rubber or whatever this stuff is ... is allowing mold/mildew to develop and it seriously looks like $#!t...

ANY help, solutions, similar experiences would be greatly appreciated. This is pathetic to happen to a bike of this caliber and age.

I tried cleaners like Armorall Cleaner, a 3M cleaner and protectant and even Lysol to try and kill the mildew?

Just keeps coming back.

The alternative is buying new armrests for $600 a pair and THAT's not gonna happen...

Help me out ... please...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry for the double post ... original timed out so I backed up and submitted again.

Please delete one.

·
Premium Member
7,822 Posts
The passenger arm rests on my '05 became discolored/faded, and had lots of small cracks in them. I always assumed this was because ti was parked in the sun every day at the open parking lot at work. Sorry - I don't have solution for you, others probably will. I tried protecting it with ArmorAll, etc., but short of putting a cover on it every day or changing jobs to an employer that provides covered parking I had no success.

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
317 Posts
My 06 Grey armrest did the same thing. I took the side off that was having the problem, cleaned it good and then painted it with some Sem vinyl dye that I purchased locally.

That stuff is great and really works well.

They can be found at www.semproducts.com or by calling 800-831-1122.

Try to find a local shop that will mix you a spray can of paint/dye if you don't have an air sprayer. I think my can was $18 mixed and loaded into a spray can.

Hope that helps.

Sammy

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
What you are describing is uv damage, and it's most likely the plasticizers leaching out - not mold.

I don't think that 6 years is bad at all... BMW's vinyl - for the most part - is excellent, top shelf quality. They have started to use less expensive stuff the last couple of years on lower tier bikes, but all years of the LT are really good.

If you have a local auto trimmers shop you should be able to get close to the color, but make sure you take it outside in bright light to compare. I've looked at literally hundreds of samples trying to match it - I did find a recent year Lincoln vinyl that was whisker close in color, but not grain. It was stoopid silly expensive too. I seem to remember $50 a yard, and you can buy low grade leather for that. ;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
If its not cracked I'd be tempted to spray it with vinyl spray which can be often from Auto Zone for under $10 a can. I just sprayed my black backrest grey to match the seats and it looks excellent. HTH.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts