BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first of all I made. I departed Dublin Ga. 4 days ago. it was a benifit ride for the united way. over 5000 was pledged for me making it. The mission was a sucess.

The bike performed great. the Lt is the true king of the road. today was a 12 hour day with over 6 miles traveled. the winds were bruital in Texas:)

Question. the bike developed a clicking noise in the front wheel area. It is speed related. I can not hear it at highway speeds but it is pretty loud at parking lot speeds. I did a visual, and did not see anything. I tried to spin the front wheel but could not duplicate it. "any suggestions??"

I changed the front wheel last week. It was not doing it when i started, but has done it for the past 2 days. 1000 miles.

I'm leaving the bike here in san diago for my buddy to drive back, He paid me $1000 for the oppurtunitity and I dont want the bike to let him down. "He's going to attempt a iron butt."

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Nail in the tire???? At parking lot speed, do you hear the click when you're riding straight ahead, and/or leaned, leaned right OR left? Good luck in finding the cause.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
You said that you changed the wheel last week. Why? And where did the "new" wheel come from? Doesn't sound like you can change back now, but that's the first -make that second - thing I'd try. First I'd try Dick's idea, then swap back and see if the noise is wheel related.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I had the same experience with my rear tire and indeed it was a drywall screw that needed the speed of rotation to hit the inside of the fender. Look inside that fender and see if there is any abrasion.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did a good inspection on the tires and front fender today. nothing there. I think that one of the brake pads is clicking. reason being, when a slight amout of front brake is applied it seems to stop. is that an issue? when i had the wheel off last week for a new tires i looked at the brake pads. they were slightly worn, as they only have 5 or 6 k on them. it is intermitent now. I dont want to leave my buddy stranded. once again he paid me 1000 for the use of bike and his cross country trip. "worried" :(

·
Registered
679 Posts
Wow! You made it all the way across country with just a clicking front tire? Congratulations on a successful trip!! Whats with the clicking already? :)

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
dnifong said:
i did a good inspection on the tires and front fender today. nothing there. I think that one of the brake pads is clicking. reason being, when a slight amout of front brake is applied it seems to stop. is that an issue? when i had the wheel off last week for a new tires i looked at the brake pads. they were slightly worn, as they only have 5 or 6 k on them. it is intermitent now. I dont want to leave my buddy stranded. once again he paid me 1000 for the use of bike and his cross country trip. "worried" :(
What brand of brake pads were installed? Many of the aftermarket pads do not have the anti rattle springs on them. This would be the first thing I would check. If that is where the noise is coming from then there will be no problem other than the noise can be annoying.

Jim

·
Registered
929 Posts
If it breaks down give your buddy his money back...:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts