BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a proud owner (since new) of a 2009 K1200LT, currently about 78K miles. I've ridden it coast to coast, trouble free! About half of those miles two up, with my spouse. To date, dealer maintenance cost about a nickle a mile! As I would like to retire someday, I recently have begun self maintenance, oil, tires and brakes so far, and gaining confidence. With the forum's help, I recently fixed the erratic speedo problem by rewiring the rear ABS sender. The cable break (in my case) was at the top-most brakeline tie wrap. What a great feeling of accomplishment that gave me! Now I'm back to see if I replaced my front rotors properly. They passed inspection, but the EBC rotors don't have the rivets, and it doesn't seem right that the bolts alone (without some kind of bushing) are used to fasten the rotors to the wheel. I can't find anything on the web about this.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Welcome Zeek, you came to the right place if you need assistance and a great forum. I seem to remember some issue on EBC not having a proper fitment for the front of some of the LT's but I could also be drinking too much. If memory serves, it was TeddyTelco who posted something about it so I am going to invoke his name here to see if he was the one who recently dealt with front replacement and fitment.

Calling Teddy Telco

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the research. I've ordered a Wunderlich fitment kit, that you can find under the Lucas rotors for the 2009. It's a set of bushings, spring tensioners and washers. If they don't seem to fit perfectly with the EBC MD616 rotors, I'll buy the Lucas rotors and call it a lesson learned. I think I will still be under the cost of the OEM rotors. I'm sure floating rotors shouldn't just bump against bare bolt threads.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Hi Zeek.
Wondering why you didn't just re-use the OEM bolts, washers etc when you swapped out the discs?
Did that when I replaced mine with a matched disc set supplied by EBC UK, after some drama getting some non-matched ones from a US supplier :(
Had no issues with the re-used washers and bolts.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. This sight doesn't do AOL anymore. The 2009 brake discs have supposed non reusable bobbins for the "floating". I bought the EBCs they look usable. But I lost some of the parts from the stock bobbins so I ordered the lucas discs and mount kits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts