BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the route to CCR 2012 and plan to ride the Mississippi River on the Great River Road, but notice routes along both the Wisconsin and Iowa/Minnesota sides.
If you had your choice from Dubuque, IL north to St. Paul, MN, which side would you take based on ride and scenery qualities?

Thanks for any input,
Jer

·
Registered
234 Posts
Allow a lot of extra travel time.You won't believe how many 25 mph little towns there are.Last spring most of them seemed to have detours to keep you in town longer hoping you'll stop.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, guys. Very helpful info to my question.
Google has me going on hwy 61 on the MN side from Wabasha to La Crosse. Perfect!
If I'm not in the twisties or sweepers, I just love going through small towns. Seeing the old architecture and looking for a great hot dog place are a big interest to me. :)

Thanks again,
Jer

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
If you are planning to take the Great River Road (GRR) through IL. make sure to follow GRR from Nauvoo, IL to Hamilton, IL. great 12 miles that is right along the river with lots of pull off rest areas.

Hwy 79 S. from Hannibal, MO. to Louisiana, MO. is a great road. Hwy. 79 was closed for a couple of years but re-opened this fall. Nice section of sweepers with senic overlooks for great views of the Mississippi River.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Both sides, one on the way to StPaul and the other on the way home would be my choice.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ride2Ski said:
If you are planning to take the Great River Road (GRR) through IL. make sure to follow GRR from Nauvoo, IL to Hamilton, IL. great 12 miles that is right along the river with lots of pull off rest areas.

Hwy 79 S. from Hannibal, MO. to Louisiana, MO. is a great road. Hwy. 79 was closed for a couple of years but re-opened this fall. Nice section of sweepers with senic overlooks for great views of the Mississippi River.
I'll be riding Dubuque north to Duluth and will miss a great deal of the GRR. I do hope to travel it south sometime soon as the literature I've received from www.experiencemississippiriver.com is very luring.

Thanks,
Jer

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jaskjb said:
Both sides, one on the way to StPaul and the other on the way home would be my choice.
I'm just going one way this time, but will take my time going up to Duluth. Trying to make the most of the GRR that I'll be riding. Hoping there's a few breweries on the way to spend the night near. I'm thinking LaCrosse for one night.
I'll be racing it back home on the slab after CCR 2012.

Thanks,
Jer

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
One brewery just north of Dubuque, IA is Potosi Brewery, Potosi, Wi. Lots of great side roads in Wisc. to ride. The Wisc. DOT has some great bicycle maps (county); also great for motorcycle riding. Just google "wisconsin bicycle maps"

·
Registered
234 Posts
A few miles SE of Lacrosse is Wildcat Mountain state park.Well worth the detour.Awesome twisties.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ride2Ski said:
One brewery just north of Dubuque, IA is Potosi Brewery, Potosi, Wi. Lots of great side roads in Wisc. to ride. The Wisc. DOT has some great bicycle maps (county); also great for motorcycle riding. Just google "wisconsin bicycle maps"
My timing for the first leg of the ride puts me in Dubuque at lunch time. Perfect!

Thanks,
Jer

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ChiefMn said:
A few miles SE of Lacrosse is Wildcat Mountain state park.Well worth the detour.Awesome twisties.
Yep, I know what you mean. Really nice roads in there. DIdn't this years BMWMOA rally in WI plan a tour through there?
I get into WI quite often as there's not much good twistie riding in IL, besides the Starved Rock/Princeton and Galena areas. A bit off the path for the GRR ride thought.

Thanks,
Jer

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I'm planning my route to CCR as well, excited for my first attendance... I planned on Picking up the GRR at Davenport and returning through Canada around the Lake Superior and down through Michigan along Lake Michigan. Here is a link to the Google Map I'm working on for the route.

Goole map route

·
Registered
234 Posts
Jay Cook State Park just south of Duluth is probably one of the best roads you'll encounter your whole trip.Last Sept.with the leaves turning color it was awesome.It's not very long but it's packed with twisty banked corners.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts