BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any places to ride to and visit within 100 miles of San Bernardino? We've been to Tom's Farm, Big Bear, Pioneertown, 29 Palms, and many others. We're looking for other places to ride to with about 15-20 bikes and 20-30 people. We usually ride on Saturdays or Sunday afternoons. We're a church group with both couples and singles. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Death Valley is very pleasant right now. Rode through yesterday (10-23-05), temp was about 89 around 2:30 pm. There are many ways in the park, most scenic is from the west: US 395 to Cal 190 in Olancha. Trona entrance is somewhat non-descript as is Baker. Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input so far. Elton, we've been to Joshua Tree, but Borrego is a possibility. George, Death Valley is a place we will go to, but not on a >2 hour drive, and that's what I'm struggling with. And Meese, Pashnit is a great resource. We've taken all of their local stuff for us. We're even interested in good places to eat for a group, where we can all sit together, and it's not driving in traffic. I'm still looking and will monitor this post.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
thumbs screws?

George_LT said:
Death Valley is very pleasant right now. Rode through yesterday (10-23-05), temp was about 89 around 2:30 pm. There are many ways in the park, most scenic is from the west: US 395 to Cal 190 in Olancha. Trona entrance is somewhat non-descript as is Baker. Ride safe.
Are you guys just trying to torture me?

The temps was 104 at midnight in BAD Water, Death Valley the night Ali lost his engine 8/22/05.

That sure sounds like a nice ride. Have fun!

Eating my heart out,

·
Slow Old Guy
2,012 Posts
Gary,

You could try Julian. Lots of places to eat and kind of a neat town to walk around, although quite small. It is a little further than you wanted. Streets and Trips makes it 120 miles, but something to consider.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Two good rides I love include DeLuz Road in Temecula. It goes from I-15 through two lane avocado country roads and ends up in Fallbrook in San Diego Co. Make Sure you take Scandia Creek road so you won't have to deal with crossing three streams on Deluz Rd. Secondly, the Pines to Palms highway out of Idlywild to Palm Springs is a must do.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the added info.

I've been to Death Valley when it was over a hundred and another time when it was under thirty. I remember it as a place of extremes!

We rode to Julian a few months back. We ate at the restaurant out of town that's next to the Julian Pie Company. A great ride and place to visit. Parking in town was a problem on the weekend we went.

We've been to Idyllwild also. A great ride. We made a loop of it by way of Mountain Center, through Idyllwild and down to the 10 Freeway. It was a great ride.

The DuLuz Road is new to me. I'm going to google that and learn more about it. Sounds like a good ride.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Gary, make sure you google "Deluz"

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Those three streams on De Luz Road can be treacherous! At times the water is flowing across the road slowly, but a lot of "green stuff" (Algae) in it makes the surface slippery as grease! BTDT :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Algae

David is correct.Bikes are going down on a regular basis in Deluz.My buddy joined the list a couple weeks ago on his Harley.They tried to drift through at 2 mph but it didnt matter,Bike just slipped out from beneath them.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Yep. My wife and I had our only "get off" on Deluz Rd in May. Went down going walking speed. No injuries or damage just confirmed our bikes don't walk on water. The Deluz area can still be enjoyed by taking I-15 to the Rancho California exit. Whichever direction you come, go west on Rancho California. This turns into Deluz at the top of the hill. Scandia Creek Rd is on your left. Turn left and follow Scandia Creek for about 22 miles. It will join up again with Deluz and you end up in old town Fallbrook. There is a restaurant on you right in the downtown core that has been there for over 100 years. I think it's called The Steakhouse. Great groceries.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
madmaps.com buy the socal map. Buy two and keep on on the bike. 22 great circular day-routes. Angeles Crest, Ojai, Palomar, Mulholland, Orgega highway from San Juan Capistrano to the outlook, etc.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Gary,
people here told you about DeLuz road. Hei! they were 100% right. The right is great and I'm sure your group will love it too.
I just rode it yesterday and worth the detour going south.
I can see that those water pass would be a problem if we had rain days before, but yesterday they were just fine. We could cross it almost w/o water.
And we had a great breakfast in Escondido :) (see picture).

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts