BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past year that I've been watching this forum, I've read about a lot of you having problems with the top trunk latch breaking. A couple of weeks ago there was a thread about this again and a mention of a website LTtrunklatch.com. So I checked it out and was impressed. I bought a kit called "Fix it before it Breaks" and just finished installing it. WOW this thing Rocks! It was pretty easy to install and really beefs-up the vunerable hinges. The parts were first class and everything installed perfectly. The trunk didn't have to be removed, and I didn't even have to get the hammer out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
I will soon open the sub-forum for the product on the Vendors' section of the Home page here. It will include advice, buyer's comments, and answers to questions. Both Roblee55 and ilpo have written that it took them an hour. I'll bet if they did a 2nd one, they would be down in the 15-20 minute range.

I can install in 10 minutes, but then I've LIVED with this thing for a couple of months, designing, programming, machining and all of the iteration to produce a product that CAN be installed "on the bike". So suffice to say, I know this thing pretty well.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll get the sub-forum going within the next couple of days.

Thank you,
Evan Guy :dance:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Yes, the hour on the 1st time included also reading the very good instructions through couple of times and translating them from English to Finnish... that was the second tricky part as the language we usually use does not includes this type of words...

And waiting for my wife to bring flashlight to take those 2 small parts away, could not really see anything where they were until I got that.

But if all the tools are ready, instructions already read and understood that 15 minutes is pretty close on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
I installed this kit. Good instructions and pictures. I did have to turn the pics upside down as I took the trunk off and worked on the bench. It took about 1.5 hours including removing and installing the trunk and lubricating parts. I think it would have taken a lot longer if I were trying to look and reach up in with the trunk still installed. Latch is very solid feeling now. Nice kit.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
Although I appreciate replacement parts with CNC engineering behind them, why did the OEM parts break in the first place? My vanity mirror broke at the hinges because I had the trunk overloaded and the helmet inside put pressure on the mirror, hence broken hinges.

An ounce of prevention . . . . And thank you for the replacement parts.

Curt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
roblee55 said:
For the past year that I've been watching this forum, I've read about a lot of you having problems with the top trunk latch breaking. A couple of weeks ago there was a thread about this again and a mention of a website LTtrunklatch.com. So I checked it out and was impressed. I bought a kit called "Fix it before it Breaks" and just finished installing it. WOW this thing Rocks! It was pretty easy to install and really beefs-up the vunerable hinges. The parts were first class and everything installed perfectly. The trunk didn't have to be removed, and I didn't even have to get the hammer out!
I also ordered and installed one this weekend !! Super work.. I did take the top pack off and flip it upside down and this actually made the install even easier than working upside down.. Of course I had to flip some of the instructions over in my head, but the time to flip the top pack made it faster in my opinion. The toughest part is getting 2 old e-clips off so the install can proceed, and that was not bad.. The latch on my 05 has always been a bit hard, so I am really happy that I now have a strengthened latch assembly. I would recommend anyone get one of these to prevent the latch failure!
 

·
Registered
1999 LTC
Joined
·
14,456 Posts
wacolt said:
Although I appreciate replacement parts with CNC engineering behind them, why did the OEM parts break in the first place? My vanity mirror broke at the hinges because I had the trunk overloaded and the helmet inside put pressure on the mirror, hence broken hinges.

An ounce of prevention . . . . And thank you for the replacement parts.

Curt
Hey, Curt - that's what the guys at the dealership 'suggested' to me about ole Toad's mirror hinges that broke. Phooey - I never put my helmet in the trunk, AND never packed it full enough to put pressure on the mirrors nor the hinges.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,424 Posts
billd said:
I also ordered and installed one this weekend !! Super work.. I did take the top pack off and flip it upside down and this actually made the install even easier than working upside down.. Of course I had to flip some of the instructions over in my head, but the time to flip the top pack made it faster in my opinion. The toughest part is getting 2 old e-clips off so the install can proceed, and that was not bad.. The latch on my 05 has always been a bit hard, so I am really happy that I now have a strengthened latch assembly. I would recommend anyone get one of these to prevent the latch failure!
You flip lots of things upside and over you head, so what's new? :p :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Steve_R said:
You flip lots of things upside and over you head, so what's new? :p :D
True.. Because gravity works... and most often that is an advantage.. Just thought I would try something new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Count me in for another "fix it before..." happy customer. It took me about 30 minutes to install. The only hard part for me was getting the little keys in place. The instructions said to push them in with a screwdriver. That wasn't happening. I had to tap them in using a solid punch and rubber mallet. Other than that installation was a snap. Now I can sleep easy...at least until I dream of FD and transmission woes... ;)
 

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
Joined
·
267 Posts
Just ordered one of these replacement kits for my broken latch.
While I'm doing the installation, should I also do anything to change the shape of the latch that pushed up and around the pins on the top lid?
The pins appear to have been under extreme strain over the years with deep grooves worn in them.
Keir
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wkclark said:
Just ordered one of these replacement kits for my broken latch.
While I'm doing the installation, should I also do anything to change the shape of the latch that pushed up and around the pins on the top lid?
The pins appear to have been under extreme strain over the years with deep grooves worn in them.
Keir
Keir,
If your latch is already broken, you need the "fix it after it's broke kit" and I think it comes with everything you need.
 

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
Joined
·
267 Posts
roblee55 said:
Keir,
If your latch is already broken, you need the "fix it after it's broke kit" and I think it comes with everything you need.

That's the one I bought (not here yet). Didn't realize it includes the pins for the bits on the top lid too. Thought it was just the mechanism for the handle and some of the moving pieces on the bottom lid.
Live and learn.
Thanks for letting me know.
Keir
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wkclark said:
That's the one I bought (not here yet). Didn't realize it includes the pins for the bits on the top lid too. Thought it was just the mechanism for the handle and some of the moving pieces on the bottom lid.
Live and learn.
Thanks for letting me know.
Keir
I'm sorry Keir, I misunderstood you. I thought you were refering to the pins inside the latch assembly. I don't think the kit includes the pins on the lid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
wkclark said:
Just ordered one of these replacement kits for my broken latch.
While I'm doing the installation, should I also do anything to change the shape of the latch that pushed up and around the pins on the top lid?
The pins appear to have been under extreme strain over the years with deep grooves worn in them.
Keir
Keir,

Your Replacement Latch Handle was shipped today. Roblee55, you're a funny man, it took me a minute to catch the humor!

I would advise to lubricate the latch hooks and pins with a waxy lubricant, like what you would use for the door latch strikers and door detent mechansim on your car. I have a waxy lube stick here called "Door-Eze", or something like that. Or don't use lube. The worn pins already provide some relief, keep 'em!

The part you bought should be sufficiently strong that you will not have to deal with it again. The kit does not come with those pins. It's on the way! Thanks for your business, all of you guys!

Evan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Evan

Received and installed the "fix it before it breaks kit" today on an 05 with CLS, (Central Locking System). It took me about 2 hours since I removed the top case. It takes a little extra time as when you remove the top case you will need to reconnect it to the power points so you can first lock it with the remote the first time and do a test as recommended part way through the assembly. Everything went well, excellent design, machine work, quality and instructions.

As for doing it in 15-20 minutes and leaving the top case in place I hope you guys will be at the CCR as I will bow down to you and pay homage as some type of mechanically inclined Gumbie super hero! :D

Take care.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
696 Posts
Received my "before break" kit today and installed it in about 2 hrs time. My clock started when walking into the garage and ending as i washed my hands. I also removed the top case to make the job easier. I don't see how this mod can be done while the topcase is on.

I needed my stronger pair of reading glasses for up close work.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
41 Posts
Received mine this week and installed it yesterday. Taking the top case off is a must, especially if you have the locking system. Plus, you can take it inside and work on it in a cool house rather than a garage. True for me at least.

This is a great product. Well made and fairly easy to install. Certainly worth the money and time for piece of mind.

Ken
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top