BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to do some much needed maintainance. My front speekers stopped working so I figured it was time to pull upper faring and noise cone off to chase down the loose connection on the speakers. In doing so I found more damage from when I hit the deer back in December. Nothing major but..... what I did not expect was 2 broken tabs that hold the BMW Shelf (see pics). now this is major. Now I know why my shelf seem to vibrate more then it should have. So I cut out some steel tabs , bent them to fit, and installed them (well I'm waiting on the paint to dry) I'm purty sure that this might have happened to other people, so I hope these pics will help. I also have a templet that I made if anyone needs it just PM your address and I'll mail you one. they where very easy to make. If you have steel, a grinder with cutting blade , a vice and a BFH (big [email protected]#king hammer) :D

BTW also a pics of my 2 year old grandson :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
He's a fine lookin' young lad. . . are you sure you're related? ;)

·
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
deputy5211 said:
He's a fine lookin' young lad. . . are you sure you're related? ;)
to tell ya da truth we are NOT related. he is my adopted grandson ( long story I'll tell ya sometime) :D If he was related he would be much better lookin :D

·
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

Well I got her back together and went for a test ride. NO MO VIBATATION !!!! The shelf was never this stead,and every thing worked. Sometimes I amaze myself.This was my first time that far into the dash and nose cone. I had parts all over the place. Sammie would look out shake her head and go back in.

BTW if you do this repair you will need longer mounting bolt for the shelf.I used M5-.80x30 Allen Head bolts with lock washer fron my local home inprovement center.Less then $3.00

·
Registered
989 Posts
Of course, we are still waiting for the picture of your BFH! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
rdwalker said:
Of course, we are still waiting for the picture of your BFH! ;)
What's BFH??

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I was feeling brave today -- and I had the upper fairings and nose cone off today also. A big thank you to everyone who helped me with bits of advice and tips on how to do this. With your help, and actually getting in there and doing it, I learned a lot about my LT in the process.

I had a panel lamp out, so I used the opportunity to replace all of the gauge lamps with red LEDs. I did the map lamp as well. It all looks pretty nifty. Next time in I'll figger out how to re-lamp the BC and also do the red cellophane trick on the radio control buttons so everything matches.

I ran a couple of power leads to the front, lest I tax the map lamp circuit too much. I wasn't planning on this, but I saw that the map light is fed by an itsy-bitsy little wire. One of the new leads powers the dual socket receptacle I installed on the Co_Pilot shelf, the other is a spare so I don't have to mess with pulling a wire if I need something else up there. :)

In the process I lost power to the map lamp -- but didn't worry about it -- too much else going on. I tried to use the top case light a bit later, and it was also inop. Surely it was a fuse, I musta grounded the map lamp hot lead when I was messin' around. Took me a while to figger out where the bloody fuse box was. Found it, change fuse #8, and there was peace in the land; light, too. :)

Next up, wiring the Phoenix switch for the MotoLights instead of slaving off of the PIAAs. . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts