BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I get around to greasing my side stand the hole is so plugged with dirt that I have to get out the drill bit to clean it out.

Does anyone have a method to keek the dirt out???

I have thought about tapping the hole for a every small screw. Just would like to get a little feed back first.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I wish I had a better cure, but I always just disassemble the stand and grease it manually. I have never had luck with the grease port.

Your post made me wonder if a small piece of duct tape over the hole might work. Of course you would have to have it really clean for it to stick.

Ron

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
kellenbenz said:
I wish I had a better cure, but I always just disassemble the stand and grease it manually. I have never had luck with the grease port.

Your post made me wonder if a small piece of duct tape over the hole might work. Of course you would have to have it really clean for it to stick.

Ron
x2 ..........that is the method I use.........I really haven't figured out a better way but, you can always just hit it with a little 'White Lightning'............it will soak in and it will make things slippery, for a while....................I just include the tear down in the scheduled maintenance............ :cool:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I just sprayed some white grease in it the other day. I was going to post this question, but since this post came up, here it is. While on the center stand and with the side stand down, should there be approximately 1-inch of play in the side stand? I can grab the bottom and move it (out towards me) up about 1-inch and am just wondering if this is going to fail, or is this normal?
Thank you!!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,779 Posts
mtrevelino said:
I just sprayed some white grease in it the other day. I was going to post this question, but since this post came up, here it is. While on the center stand and with the side stand down, should there be approximately 1-inch of play in the side stand? I can grab the bottom and move it (out towards me) up about 1-inch and am just wondering if this is going to fail, or is this normal?
Thank you!!
Mine was like that from day one. It appears normal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
While on the center stand, pull the side stand down, stuff a lot of rags below and spray underneath with a can of brake cleaner till all the gunk runs out ,(on the rags) Then spray with white lithium grease. Works like greased lightning !!
Do the same with the shifter linkage before it breaks.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
+1 on the brake parts cleaner.

If you grease the sidestand well, the grease acts like a dirt magnet and it gets very gritty and grimey.

I blast the whole thing with a can of brake parts cleaner. Periodically pump grease through the grease hole and that forces out more grit. More brake parts cleaner until all the grit is flushed out.

Moving the sided stand from extended to retracted, and up and down over the the range of the stand on its pivot shaft allows getting the cleaner in there.

A shot of grease and then spray with some good old chain lube (remember that stuff?). NAPA has a Chain and Cable Lube which penetrates well and then dries and leaves a thick grease. Great for getting grease into areas where the grease gun doesn't force it.

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Charlie, I have a can of lithium grease that sprays out in liquid form and then becomes grease. Any problems using this stuff?

Loren
No problems I can imagine.
I figure if the sidestand goes up and doesn't get stuck halfway, it's all good.
The spray lithium is pretty easy to find and easy to use.
I have both spray lithium and the NAPA Chain and Cable Lube, the chain lube leaves a thicker, heavier grease than the lithium so I suspect is may last a little longer, but I'm just guessin' there.

The reason I spray in addition to lubing at the grease point with a needle adaptor on the grease gun is that the grease gun applied grease always seems to end up in the lower part of the sidestand joint, no matter what position I hold the sidestand I can't seem to get the grease to inject into the upper part of the joint. So I spray it with the cable lube too.

I probably do it once a year. And I'll be there are few folks who spend as much time on dirt roads as I do. My sidestand get DIRTY :)

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,963 Posts
Just don't do what I did. I knocked my drill index off the bench & put all the drills back in the index that didn't snap in two when they hit the floor. The next time I used a drill that I turn by hand to remove the grease from the hole it broke off. I couldn't believe it broke off just by turning it with my hand until I remembered that the whole index had fallen on the floor. One of these days I'll have to take it apart to get the broken piece out. I'm thinking of trying Anti-seize next time I lube it to see if it last any longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts