BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Grand Tour Ramblings

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Gene_Chapman 
#1 ·
While Judy was out of town at her mom's, I took a little 1300 mile ride around the state collecting GT checkpoints. Thought that I would pass along some highlights.
I blasted down "scenic" I-5 to Roseburg to start my route. Pretty drive and fun road, probably even better when its dry, on 138 up to the Steamboat Inn. It looks like a beautful spot to spend a weekend with your SO.
Next, to the west side of Klamath Lake to Odessa. Odessa will not come up on your GPS, but if you plug in the street address from the passport book that will. If you are coming from the north like I did, after you go thru Fort Klamath follow the sign to Rocky Point and then turn right on Seven Mile Lane. This is a forest service campground with a nice restaurant overlooking the lake. I had a leisurely lunch there and kicked back. If you make this trip a little later when the road is open, you will be treated to a great ride and view as the most direct way is to go over Crater Lake on the North highway.
Oh, did I mention wind? Man was it blowing as soon as you got down into the basin. It was serious wind all the rest of the day!
From Odessa it was down to K Falls and then over to Lakeview on 140 and up to Paisley on 31. Again a fun road except for the wind. Nice little homecooking restaurant for the Paisley checkpoint, but I did a "stamp and dash" and headed for Hines/Burns. Two choices on routes from here. North on 31 and then east thru Christmas Valley or back track on Hiway 31 for 22 miles to Valley Junction. I figured that as I had not been the Christmas Valley route I would go that way, but when I crested the hill outside of Paisely and saw and felt the cold wind and dark clouds, I figured that I would save that route for another time, so back to Valley Junction and then the 100 miles or so up to Hines. Fun road along the lake and NO traffic. In the hundred miles I saw maybe 10 cars. Set the cruise on "slighly above the posted 55 mile limit (LOL)" and was at the Apple Peddler checkpoint in Hines by 7:00. Found the Silver Spur Motel there for the night. Clean, American family run, and $40.00 per night. I recommend it.

Sunday morning, clear, still windy and 40 degrees! Cranked up the Gerbings and off to Jordan Valley. Great ride thru varying desert terrain, snow still on the mountains (where is my camera when I need it), and then you drop down into the plush Jordan Valley. Pull into the JV cafe restaurant and as I am getting off the bike I hear "Jeff!". Now understand that Jorday Valley is the farthest town in SE Oregon that you can get to by paved road and it is 9:00 on a Sunday morning! I guess you just have to appreciate these LD riders, as here in the middle of nowhere is Tobie and Lisa Stevens from Washington also getting an early start on their Grand Tour points. It figures that I would run into them at some remote location, as the first time that I met them was in 03 in Hyder, Alaska! We had a 10 minute catch up conversation about our respective bikes and the upcoming Iron Butt Rally (that both of them were fortunate enough to get into) and then they were off to the next checkpoint and I went in for breakfast. We hope to visit again in St Louis in August at the end of the Iron Butt Rally.
Fully fueled, both me and the bike, it was off to Baker City via the lush farming areas south of Boise. Temperatures now into the 60's and I thought about sheding a layer, but glad I didn't as once I started climbing up out of Ontario, it dropped down into the low 50's again. WOW...The Oregon Trail Interperative Center checkpoint on a hill overlooking the Baker City Valley is well worth the trip and the time to walk thru. Reading some of the history and the diary quotes of some of these early travelers really puts things in perspective and helps you realize how spoiled we are. We talk about how many hours less than a 100 it took to do a CCC and these people only went have way across the US and it took anywhere from the record time of 141 days to six months. WOW! The exhibit is very well done and from the center you can actually look down on a portion of the worn trails from the actual wagon trains. Very Cool.
Home stretch now, up and over the hills, spectacular views of the valley, to lunch in Pendleton and finally time to shed a layer of clothing. From there back into the wind and the gorge (synonomous) and on to Rufus. Perfect timing as the headwind definitely impacted my fuel mileage so my fuel light arrived at the same time as Rufus. Great looking food at the BBQ place and I will make a point to try it next time thru, but on the "home stretch" I just got my book stamped and an ice tea and it was back on the road home.
I had had enough of I-84 so crossed the Biggs Bridge to the Washington side and Hiway 14. This portion of 14 is high up on the hill above the Maryhill museum and you get a great view of the gorge. Note to self: it is also windier up here! 14 is a fun road and definitely not the drone of I-84. It bobs and weaves up and down and in and out along side the Columbia. It was a great way to finish the trip and I was home by 7:30.
A great weekend and a great ride. Thanks for coming along with me if you endured reading thru my ramblings and this whole travel log.
Jeff

See less See more
#2 ·
Great Report

Jeff,

Thanks for your great report. I broke down and joined the Grand Tour this year. If you are ever looking for someone to join you on a checkpoint ride, just let me know. :D

Dan

#4 ·
Tks for taking the time to post the details Jeff! They will help out once we finally get started on our GT riding. I am heading into the blast furness myself (solo) this Saturday. Heading for Laughlin Nevada! By way of Reno.

seems there is a bunch of old retire Coasties that want to get together and rehash sea stories. Figured I'd join em. Marilyn is not into the heat or the gambling, so this ride will be on my own unfortunately.

See you around,

John

#5 ·
AlaskaFish said:
Tks for taking the time to post the details Jeff! They will help out once we finally get started on our GT riding. I am heading into the blast furness myself (solo) this Saturday. Heading for Laughlin Nevada! By way of Reno.

seems there is a bunch of old retire Coasties that want to get together and rehash sea stories. Figured I'd join em. Marilyn is not into the heat or the gambling, so this ride will be on my own unfortunately.

See you around,

John
John,
It is a "dry" heat. Have a great ride!
Jeff

#6 ·
Thanks for Asking

black1200lt said:
Hey Jeff,
How was your BUTT? :) Not to mention all the other ergos? What did you do to make it comfy?
Thanks!
I know that you are definitely feeling better when you are asking about my BUTT, LOL! My butt actually did fine on my Mr Ed's Moto seat. Thanks for asking!
As far as the other ergos, the second day was actually better than the first. I need to remember to bend at the waist to keep the weight off my wrists, as well as keeping my shoulders back and not hunching. It is definitely a different riding position to our beloved LT that takes a conscious effort to get accustomed to, but once done is very comfortable. The bike is pure pleasure to ride but certainly not perfect. Definitely more wind on the arms and shoulders and on the long rides, really miss some sort of highway pegs. In spite of that, I would not want to have missed the time that I have had riding this, but will be interested to compare the new generation LT whenever that comes out. By then I am sure that you will be riding again and will want to check it out as well, especially if it is using this motor and suspension technology.
Glad to hear a smile back on your face and have you "posting" with us.
We missed you,
Jeff

#7 ·
Great to hear from you, Coni. :D

I'm also on a GT now. Rocky Mayer did my seat the first day I had it. With the peg extenders and bar backs it is fairly comfortable. Still searching for the perfect windshield though.

Let us know when you're up for a visit. I'm sure we could convince a few folks to head north for a day ride. :)

#8 ·
Thanks Jeff...and Connie too

:) Awesome report Jeff. It's nice to see Connie back onand checking out your butt! Gosh we miss "Miss Manners" around here.:D

We were on 97 heading north saturday when you were at the Odessa checkpoint. We hit Tumulo and Gvmt. Camp on the way home. The wind across the reservation was way strong! It also got a little cool and wet over the top of Hood.

I turned around and headed back down scenic I-5 to Redding. Not much has changed down here.

As far as the GT checkpoints: I want to make the SW Oregon loop before it gets much warmer. Perhaps over Memorial Day weekend? Dan? Ken? John and Art or Denny? It could be Hines on Friday night, Jordan Valley-Baker City and the Idaho checkpoint for Saturday, Montana on Sunday and home via Rufus or Revelstoke on Monday.

Sound fun to anyone? Just idea kickin'

PS

It really is great to see you back online Connie. Let's RTE soon. We all would love to see your smiling face!:)

#9 ·
Nice write up Jeff, Your road trip sounded like fun. I wish I knew the feeling. I have been in a riding funk lately. I have only ridden 6.5K since Nov! I put the final touches on the LT this afternoon. Now I'll have to decide which bike to take.

#10 ·
sanjaun2 said:
Nice write up Jeff, Your road trip sounded like fun. I wish I knew the feeling. I have been in a riding funk lately. I have only ridden 6.5K since Nov! I put the final touches on the LT this afternoon. Now I'll have to decide which bike to take.
Brian,
Did you ever sign up for the Grand Tour?

#11 ·
Ernie,
I have not signed up yet, But I really did enjoy the places it took me to last year. So I am game for hitting as many points as I can anyway. I'll try and pass on the ones with all those high winds that you and jeff encountered!

#14 ·
ErnieA said:
PS

It really is great to see you back online Connie. Let's RTE soon. We all would love to see your smiling face!:)
You know I'm just about ready to get out on the road. A RTE sounds like a real easy idea, plus we have meeting the gang to look forward to when we get there.

I'm so happy to report that I am down in Los Angeles right now to attend my daughters graduation from Loyola Law School. I can tell you that there were a few days when I was questioning if I could be here for this. After what we put that poor child through this year I am very proud of her to have made this.

So, I'm gonna COWGIRL UP and make the decision to get my butt back on a bike. You guys decide on a date *after* Memorial Day weekend, and where and I will be there. DEAL?

#15 ·
Again, excellent news Coni, and congraduations to your daughter. :)

I'm sure we can find a time & place for a good RTE. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.