BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 1200RT with a Motorad IV GPS installed by the dealer using the BMW mount. It works great, and turns on when the ignition is switched on and off when I turn the ignition off. I also have one of the BMW trickle chargers that connects through the power connector at the base of the audio panel and use it when not running the bike.

I leave the GPS in its mount since the bike is secure in my garage, and it's one less thing to remember when I'm heading out for a ride. I've noticed that at random times I'll go out into the garage and notice that the GPS has turned on, even though there's no key in the ignition. I'll turn it off, and a couple of days later I'll see that it has turned itself back on again.

My question - is the canbus system periodically switching power to the GPS circuit, which turns it on? If so, is this because I am using the BMW charger? Any ideas? Granted, I've simply removed the GPS from its mount and leave it in the house so it's not an issue, but I am curious as to why it does this. Anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
127 Posts
srgilmore said:
I have a 2011 1200RT with a Motorad IV GPS installed by the dealer using the BMW mount. It works great, and turns on when the ignition is switched on and off when I turn the ignition off. I also have one of the BMW trickle chargers that connects through the power connector at the base of the audio panel and use it when not running the bike.

I leave the GPS in its mount since the bike is secure in my garage, and it's one less thing to remember when I'm heading out for a ride. I've noticed that at random times I'll go out into the garage and notice that the GPS has turned on, even though there's no key in the ignition. I'll turn it off, and a couple of days later I'll see that it has turned itself back on again.

My question - is the canbus system periodically switching power to the GPS circuit, which turns it on? If so, is this because I am using the BMW charger? Any ideas? Granted, I've simply removed the GPS from its mount and leave it in the house so it's not an issue, but I am curious as to why it does this. Anyone else experienced this?
You got it -- the BMW charger periodically powers up the bus, and that turns on the GPS. Perfectly normal if you're using the BMW charger.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I too use the BMW charger, and have seen the same thing with my bike, so I also remove the unit from the mount when using the charger. But I have additionally taken power from the GPS plug to also trigger my Fuseblock when the key is on. I simply installed a small switch to interrupt power to the Fuseblock relay when using the charger, so that my Hyperlites aren't on all the time during the charge. It is one additional step, but no issue for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts