BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a nice trip to the west slopes Saturday and Sunday and took along my GPS in my 04 Toyota 4Runner. Now those people (Toyota Engineers), they know how to engineer a speedometer. I hadn't been taking notice, and then I happened to glance over at it while my cruise control was set for about 68 mph and the GPS varied from 67.5 to 68.6 I think and I attributed that to the fact that the road was not completely level. Ups and downs.
Then later, I checked it again on a fairly flat stretch and the the speedometer was reading the same as the GPS at any speed I checked from 50 to 80 mph.
Are the Germans saying they are unable to engineer the LT speedometer as well as the Japanese? Hmmmm.:(

·
Registered
318 Posts
Here is what I have found. In my 2002 Caravan (The Race Van). The speedo is dead on with the SPIII. In addition, I find that my Delorme USB gps using Street Atlas 06, tracks the same as both the speedo and the SPIII.

Jimmy

·
Registered
256 Posts
I personally think that Japanese motorcycle manufacturers boost our tiny little ego's by over reading on their speedo's, woo hoo we are doing 167mph when the GPS reads only 155mph so all the info to be taken with a tiny wee pinch of salt. :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
A couple of weeks ago the Car Talk guys mentioned that it's common for sports car manufacturers to set the speedometer to read faster than the real speed.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Noticed there was a 'Caravan' (Dodge) mentioned in the thread as dead-on accurate. My new Jeep Wrangler dead-on accurate with my Garmin 376C, also. Not just the Japanese BTW.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts