BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently added the Voice II and the Navigator 3 plus to my '09 LT. I have not been able to get the gps to talk to me either over the speakers or thru the headset. If I put it in the family cage, it talks at every opportunity. The service guy told me that he thought I had to have the Voice II set at a certain setting (Intercom, Aux etc) but he didn't know what that setting was? I've tried several combinations and can't make it speak on the bike.

Anybody know the answer?
Thanks

·
Registered
656 Posts
Do you have to switch it over to Aux?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
KRA961

Maybe I wasn't clear in the initial question. I've tried it in just about every mode I can think of and no matter what...no verbal directions while on the LT. In a car, it talks out the speaker that you plug into the cigarette lighter, just fine. There is some problem with the verbal directions not coming out of the speakers or thru the headsets. I was just wondering if anyone else had encountered the same thing and figured it out.

I searched the archives here and found other gps questions but not this particular one.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the Navigator 3 on my 08 LT which came with the Voice 2 intercom already installed. It was also prewired for the GPS.

The GPS overrides all of the intercom modes no matter what is selected as the input. (Aux, Radio, etc). However, the GPS only comes through the riders intercom headset, not the speakers nor the passengers headset.

If your intercom is working correctly (so you know that the volume levels are correct) can you hear the GPS instructions through the passenger headset? That would indicate that the passenger and rider connections are switched - just an thought.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
Iron_Horse said:
I recently added the Voice II and the Navigator 3 plus to my '09 LT. I have not been able to get the gps to talk to me either over the speakers or thru the headset. If I put it in the family cage, it talks at every opportunity. The service guy told me that he thought I had to have the Voice II set at a certain setting (Intercom, Aux etc) but he didn't know what that setting was? I've tried several combinations and can't make it speak on the bike.

Anybody know the answer?
Thanks
I may have the answer. I am hoping this thread reference comes through OK. If not, search the GPS forum using these keywords: "strange navigator problem" and you should find my thread.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54729&highlight=navigator+voice

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Voyager,
Thanks for the thread. Everything checks out except the "motorcycle mode" mentioned in the thread. I don't know where to find that mode. I can't find anything about car or motorcycle mode scrolling through the menus on the unit itself. I'll keep working on finding that mode.

I really appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
Iron_Horse said:
Voyager,
Thanks for the thread. Everything checks out except the "motorcycle mode" mentioned in the thread. I don't know where to find that mode. I can't find anything about car or motorcycle mode scrolling through the menus on the unit itself. I'll keep working on finding that mode.

I really appreciate the help.
I think it is under settings-navigation-vehicle. I think you have four options from which to choose.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're right but when I checked it was already set to motorcycle. No problem, I emailed garmin support with the question so maybe they'll be able to help. Worse case scenario, I have to read the display instead of listen. I can live with that.
thanks for everything

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I know this sounds stupid but you did correctly wire The GPS into the intercom unit. Didn't you? And the volume on the GPS is turned up.
My Garmin 276C overrides everything in all modes.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Iron_Horse said:
You're right but when I checked it was already set to motorcycle. No problem, I emailed garmin support with the question so maybe they'll be able to help. Worse case scenario, I have to read the display instead of listen. I can live with that.
thanks for everything
There is a mute selection, so just make sure it isn't on.

Also, I would definitely NOT just live with it. The unit should be giving you instructions through the headset and if it isn't, it either needs to be repaired or replaced. I've had very good luck working with Garmin customer service over the years.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
Iron_Horse said:
thanks for everything
You hear other sources such as the radio OK through your headset? Are you sure the GPS volume is turned up and the sound is not disabled? I turn mine off now and then as I get tired of every GPS command muting my music for several seconds.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, everything else comes through the voice II headsets. No, the mute button is not on. I didn't wire any of it. The bike comes with the mount and the prewiring and the dealer installed the voice II. Like I said, everythng but the verbal commands work on the bike. In the car, the verbal commands are fine, almost annoying but still it would be nice if it worked.

Garmin support gave me a wrong answer and didn't seem to understand so I sent a reply with more detail...still waiting on that response.
thanks for all the help

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Double check the wire going into the intercom unit. Some how that is in the wrong place or isn't connected. Since the GPS works properly everywhere else that has to be it.
Or.......I could be wrong.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bblalock said:
Double check the wire going into the intercom unit. Some how that is in the wrong place or isn't connected. Since the GPS works properly everywhere else that has to be it.
Or.......I could be wrong.
I hope that's it, thanks. I'll take it in to the dealer in the near future. I'm not smart enough or mechanically inclined to do it myself

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
What cable did you use to connect the GPS to the comm system?
IIRC it needs to be a mono cable as the stereo won't work.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
zippy_gg said:
What cable did you use to connect the GPS to the comm system?
IIRC it needs to be a mono cable as the stereo won't work.

Dealer installed everything but I'll use your question as well as a couple of others next time I take her in.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently had a NAV IV installed on my '09 LT. No problems. However, I did notice that the NAV IV must be in motorcycle mode to operate correctly on the bike. Is there a similar setting for the III?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts