BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way I can wire into the oddments box to power my GPS? I don't use it much but when I do I just mount the suction cup on the cover of the box. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Sure. Just run a fused 12v to the box and connect your GPS to that. Put a relay on it so only hot when ignition on (I drive the relay off the seat heater circuit to do this). Come on over and I will do it with/for you. Drop me a PM to make arrangements if interested.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Should be easy enough to find a switched or un-switched power source under the stingray and have the wire come out through the handlebar rubber gasket. You could fold and velcro it underneath when not in use if it doesn't interfere with the steering. I believe that is where the factory pre-wired bike had the power wire. If you want voice commands, well, that's a bit tougher. I installed a 12v power outlet on the left cockpit side and have the speaker plugged in there but I mount the GPS on a shelf.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm using the RKA in-power tank bag system with my own custom brackets so I can use my non-motorcycle gps.

The bracket is plexiglass I bent and fastened to the accessory rail on the tank bag. The cover is also plexiglass and slides over the top of the GPS to make it usable if it's raining without wrecking the gps. Power comes from inside the tank bag, which is wired to the battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
JoeTerry said:
I'm using the RKA in-power tank bag system with my own custom brackets so I can use my non-motorcycle gps.

The bracket is plexiglass I bent and fastened to the accessory rail on the tank bag. The cover is also plexiglass and slides over the top of the GPS to make it usable if it's raining without wrecking the gps. Power comes from inside the tank bag, which is wired to the battery.
That's a pretty slick setup, but how do you see your instruments and get to the stereo functions w/ all that in the way? Or is it? :confused:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Having it slid to the right gives me full view of all the dash lights, speedo, and tach. I can't see the clock or gear indicator. I cannot see the radio buttons, but for the most part I only use the handlebar controls when riding, so that's no big deal for me.

I thought about doing it dash-mounted, but I don't use the GPS often, so I wanted a system that I could remove and keep the bike otherwise looking totally stock. (No holes drilled, etc.)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
rattler50 said:
Is there any way I can wire into the oddments box to power my GPS? I don't use it much but when I do I just mount the suction cup on the cover of the box. Thanks.
I'm in Burkburnett now, so we should get together for a lunch ride sometime.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello there Munson. A local riding buddy and I do a Saturday morning breakfast ride most every weekend. You'll have to come with us. He's retired and has nothing better to do. We'd enjoy the company........ :D

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
rattler50 said:
Hello there Munson. A local riding buddy and I do a Saturday morning breakfast ride most every weekend. You'll have to come with us. He's retired and has nothing better to do. We'd enjoy the company........ :D
Thanks! When my schedule permits, I will join y'all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts