BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I just bought a 07 RT. The original owner had a Garmin Zumo 550 mounted on it. Unfortunately for me he kept the GPS. All I have is the mounting cradle which is connected to the bike. Is there a way to use the power cable attached to the Zumo cradle and adapt it to fit my Nuvi 360 mini USB connector or do I have to get a powerlet to mini USB and use the auxilary socket?

Thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
Dann323 said:
Hi
I just bought a 07 RT. The original owner had a Garmin Zumo 550 mounted on it. Unfortunately for me he kept the GPS. All I have is the mounting cradle which is connected to the bike. Is there a way to use the power cable attached to the Zumo cradle and adapt it to fit my Nuvi 360 mini USB connector or do I have to get a powerlet to mini USB and use the auxilary socket?

Thanks
You could get a powerlet socket and cut the wire to the cradle and fashion you own power cable then use the powerlet mini usb cable to plug in your Nuvi. This is basically what I did to hook up my Nuvi except I had to buy the BMW "repair" connector since I did not already have a power cable from a previous GPS install. It's important to make sure whatever you decide that the power to gps is stepped down to 5 volts so it will recharge the battery properly. The thing I like about the mini usb cable is this step down is built in and I can also use it to recharge my smart phone if I am not using the GPS. All works great but the CAN-BUS does shut the power down a couple minutes after you turn the bike off.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answer
I don't really like cutting cables. Is there any adapter out there from the 4 pin Zumo cable to mini USB?
I've been trying to find one but my searches didn't bring anything up.
If I end up cutting the cable do I only have to change only the connector at the end or do i need some kind of transformer to step down to 5 volts?
Can I assume that there is already one on this line since it was connected to a Zumo?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.