BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a garmin nuvi 1490LMT that I want to install on my RT.
I have a BMW mount installed between my handle bars for a Zumo 550 (The previous owner kept the GPS)
Unfortunately the holes on the 1490 cradle (RAM-HOL-GA35U) do not match the ones of the Zumo cradle which means that I cannot attach it to the BMW mount.
The holes on the cradle are more apart.
Is there any way to fit this crade on the BMW mount?

I've also seen an interesting mount that fits between the handlebars but cannot locate any info on it. http://gallery.mac.com/jkwinchester1#100037&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Can anybody help me with this?

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
For what it's worth, I found the position of the stock bmw mount totally useless if you're going to use a tank bag.
I got the Wunderlich sat nav bracket which puts it above the clocks. Comes with a flat plate peppered with holes to match most makes of sat nav.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input.
I've seen this mount before and it looks pretty good, but since I already have the stock one I would like to find a way to use it and see how it works for me before spending $130+ on a new one

·
Registered
176 Posts
Dann323 said:
Thanks for your input.
I've seen this mount before and it looks pretty good, but since I already have the stock one I would like to find a way to use it and see how it works for me before spending $130+ on a new one
Then why not simply bolt another plate to that mount with holes at correct spacing?

You could probably get $50 at least back on eBay for the old one if you decided to replace.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
My thoughts are similar to Miggs. Why not just drill new holes in the old mount? Got to be a way...

I like the old mount. I have one myself... used to hold the old Nav II system. I have a tank bag and I can see the GPS perfectly, but of course if you have a tall bag this may not be true.

The Round one with a ram mount is a Misguel or Misgel.... or some such. The guy by that name made a few for the folks over at the Zumo Forums and they became popular. Spendy but effective. I like the drill-to-fit option myself.

Not sure Misgel is still available.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'd use a round file to make the holes elongated and allow for the GPS to fit the existing mount. I did it for the mount I adapted to my Zumo

r

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all your replies
I ended up putting an extra metal plate behind the cradle to enlarge it.
Now it fits perfectly.
Only time will tell if I like the position or not
Here's a picture of the setup

·
Registered
427 Posts
No Picture?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts