BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the GPS forum but thought I may get some good information here as well.

Has anyone used a RAM mount post for the LT in the mirror hole? I have heard it can be done but may need some modification of what is offered by RAM. Any information is much appreciated.
I am trying to mount my Garmin Nuvi.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
gglove said:
I posted this in the GPS forum but thought I may get some good information here as well.

Has anyone used a RAM mount post for the LT in the mirror hole? I have heard it can be done but may need some modification of what is offered by RAM. Any information is much appreciated.
I am trying to mount my Garmin Nuvi.
Thanks
Hi, Patrick,

sorry for the delay in getting back to you. THIS is what I used to mount a ball in the mirror hole for a camera mount.

I unscrewed the stud out of the ball and then drilled and tapped it for a longer length of (I think it was)10mm studding. I bound the top end with plastic tape to give it a 'snugger' fit in the hole, and then just put a washer and lock nut on the end (all stainless). When drilling the ball, keep an eye on the temperature, so the rubber doesn't melt.

You can also get a clutch/brake master cylinder cover from RAM with a ball built on the top of it.

I hope this helps.

·
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Woolly said:
Hi, Patrick,

sorry for the delay in getting back to you. THIS is what I used to mount a ball in the mirror hole for a camera mount.

I unscrewed the stud out of the ball and then drilled and tapped it for a longer length of (I think it was)10mm studding. I bound the top end with plastic tape to give it a 'snugger' fit in the hole, and then just put a washer and lock nut on the end (all stainless). When drilling the ball, keep an eye on the temperature, so the rubber doesn't melt.

You can also get a clutch/brake master cylinder cover from RAM with a ball built on the top of it.

I hope this helps.
Wooly what is the RAM number on the stud that you use. My father in law is a machinist and he stated he can hopefully modify to fit nicely in the mirror hole.
Thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
I went to http://www.ram-mount.com and looked at the catalog.
http://www.ram-mount.com/pdf/universal.pdf

It looks like there are several RAM mounts that can be adapted.

This is the one I use with the proper bolt to go through the mirror hole and it gives me some adjustability to possition the ball out of the way.
RAM-B-252U
RAM .87 X 2.25 WITH 11 MM HOLE &
1" BALL

But here are several other options that would work without having to modify anything. Just use the proper length bolt for the mirror hole.

RAM-B-273U
RAM BASE WITH 1/4"-20 HOLE HEX &
1" BALL

RAM-A-336U
1/4" POST WITH 1/4"-20 THREADED
HOLE STST

RAM-B-126CU
RAM 1.5 X 1.75 BASE 5/16" HOLE & 1"

RAM-B-218-1
RAM SINGLE BALL WITH 1/4" NPT.
HOLE

RAM-B-272U
RAM BASE WITH 9 MM HOLE AND 1"
BALL

Good Luck. I like having my GPS mounted in that location.

·
Registered
25 Posts
RAM Mount

Have you looked at the mount that just goes in the hole on the thottle body.
Fits in a treat but put the GPS a little high and rightfor me so went back to the one over CD player.

·
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have talked with the RAM people a few times in the past.
I am going to use all of your advise and then pick one option and run with it.

The problem I had when I talked with them is that they did not have a part that would fit directly in the mirror hole, they all have to be modified.

Again thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
718 Posts

I used this mount from cycoactive in combination with a locking GPS mount for a while. Later, I decided to mount mirrors in the mirror holes, and I used a brake/clutch reservoir cover with a ram ball mount for my GPS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts