BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
For $180 I can put the thing in a saddlebag or a pocket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Yeah, I've got one for the zumo 660, works fine, as you say it's good for going for a bite to eat and also when going to pay for fuel, just puts off the opportunist thief, Yep all good :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,047 Posts
05Train said:
For $180 I can put the thing in a saddlebag or a pocket.
Concur. Left pocket on my jacket is for the GPS, right pocket is for the sunglasses. Besides, it's good to get the GPS out of the hot sun to help save the screen.

JayJay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
05Train said:
For $180 I can put the thing in a saddlebag or a pocket.
Completely agree...but after spending 24K for the RT, $700 for a helmet, another $1000 for riding gear, $800 for navigation and so on, it's a bit too late for me to start worrying about $180.00. :) But I do get your point and it is much appreciated. Interesting to note that to save the screen, you need to keep it out of the sun. Didn't know that. I guess I could leave the Nav system in the cradle and put a $2.00 towel over it to keep the sun off of it. Thanks so much for your input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
gphusky1 said:
Completely agree...but after spending 24K for the RT, $700 for a helmet, another $1000 for riding gear, $800 for navigation and so on, it's a bit too late for me to start worrying about $180.00. .

Ain't that the truth!

:thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
gphusky1 said:
Anyone had any experience with Touratech's "Locking Handlebar Mount for the BMW Navigator IV" ?

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3191/PN-065-0560/Locking-Handlebar-Mount-BMW-Navigator-IV

I like the ability to be able to lock the Navigator IV to the mount while getting a bite to eat and not having to remove it every time I get off the bike. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Mark
I purchased the version for the Garmin 665, and I loved it. Here is why I liked it.

1. Extra security while riding. I actually bought mine because I was tooling down the road, and I hadn't seated my Garmin in completely. It would have been junk on the road if I hadn't caught it with my left hand, deftly put it in my jacket pocket, and pull over. Went online to Touratech as soon as I got home.
2. It has some cushioning while over harsh roads. I know that both the Navigator and 665 are robust products, built for motorcycling, but still.
3. The key does lock your unit down pretty securely. Would I leave it on overnight? Wouldn't even consider it. Would I leave it locked in there while running to the loo on a long trip? Or getting some munchies at the gas station? Yeah, I'd feel safe.

I've got to be honest. Sometimes, I forgot that the nav unit was there, and it was only luck that someone hadn't stolen it. I decided to get the Touratech mount just to be safe.

I know it's pricey, but if you've paid $20K (give or take) for your bike, 800 for the Navigator, and then all the other farkles, what's $180? If I had bought a used 2000 R1100RT, and were counting pennies, yeah, I'd just remember to throw it in my jacket, except I'd forget.

A couple of things. I've had the versions for both the Garmin Zumo 550 and 665. The tolerances are very very tight, meaning some of the screws and bolts just fit, especially if you're mounting it on a plate, which you will. In one case, I had to search down metric bolts (and those are not easy to find) that were precisely right. Just beware.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
gphusky1 said:
Completely agree...but after spending 24K for the RT, $700 for a helmet, another $1000 for riding gear, $800 for navigation and so on, it's a bit too late for me to start worrying about $180.00. :) But I do get your point and it is much appreciated. Interesting to note that to save the screen, you need to keep it out of the sun. Didn't know that. I guess I could leave the Nav system in the cradle and put a $2.00 towel over it to keep the sun off of it. Thanks so much for your input.
Buy some UV film similar to what some people put over their iPhones. That should block most of the heinous UV rays.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,047 Posts
As far as the displays go - I don't think it's a function of UV per se as much as temperature. I've noticed on many LCD screen devices, including the R12's display, that if you let them sit in the sun and cook they get hot and wash out. It's only after they cool back down again that the contrast is restored. Can't be good for the thing to do that.

I think that when the bike is moving this isn't really a problem because of the air flow. But after sitting in a parking lot with the sun shining is when I've had this issue. I drape my jacket over the windshield backwards to cover the instrument panel when I can watch the bike. When I can't I put the cover on.

And this doesn't address the whole issue of not being able to see the R12RT instrument panel because of the glare. Whole different (and in my mind, inexcusable on BMW's part) deal. I got a second piece of an anti-glare film that works great on my iPad to try on the instrument panel, stay tuned to see if it works.

JayJay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
JayJay said:
As far as the displays go - I don't think it's a function of UV per se as much as temperature. I've noticed on many LCD screen devices, including the R12's display, that if you let them sit in the sun and cook they get hot and wash out. It's only after they cool back down again that the contrast is restored. Can't be good for the thing to do that.

I think that when the bike is moving this isn't really a problem because of the air flow. But after sitting in a parking lot with the sun shining is when I've had this issue. I drape my jacket over the windshield backwards to cover the instrument panel when I can watch the bike. When I can't I put the cover on.

And this doesn't address the whole issue of not being able to see the R12RT instrument panel because of the glare. Whole different (and in my mind, inexcusable on BMW's part) deal. I got a second piece of an anti-glare film that works great on my iPad to try on the instrument panel, stay tuned to see if it works.

JayJay
That makes sense. I have to say that the Garmin 550 was a lot better than the 665 in terms of visibility in the sun. I've never noticed glare on my R12RT instrument panel, but let me make a caveat: I wear polarized Oakley glasses, which reduce or remove glare.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top