BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question to everyone concerning a 2001 LT. I have a J&M headset wired to the rear speaker harness and a Dice box for my iPod into the radio via the cd changer wiring. Great sound, and had a StarCom I unit to get the sound from my 2720 to the helmet. I know two sets of speakers, two cables..but it worked until the StarCom unit died. I really like the J&M sound quality, and have looked at the AutoCom stuff at the National rally. I have read that their speakers are tiny and small and some have replaced the speakers. Does anyone have any other suggestions at what to look at to get the GPS sound into my helmet. I had a J&M powered connection on my first LT and it caused a lot of static (alternator and spark plugs) into the helmet speakers. That's when I started wiring into the harness directly. I don't need the whistles and bells of the Baher system....so I am open to most anything else. Thanks in advance...Bob

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Almost from my beginning, and tremendous help from this group, I wired in a new, at the time, Auto Comm and Garmin 2820 GPS and have been quite pleased with the result. The Auto Com allows me to listen to music and when instructions are necessary, get muted so the GPS can come through my Nolan helmet intercom. No interference or static and the audio is quite clear. Installation of both was easy and only took a few hours.

The only thing I'm thinking of adding: http://plugup.com/cart/ earplugs with built in audio...... I generally ride with ear plugs, but find that after a few hours they hurt. Figure custom ones hurt less....

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
bobaltic said:
A question to everyone concerning a 2001 LT. I have a J&M headset wired to the rear speaker harness and a Dice box for my iPod into the radio via the cd changer wiring. Great sound, and had a StarCom I unit to get the sound from my 2720 to the helmet. I know two sets of speakers, two cables..but it worked until the StarCom unit died. I really like the J&M sound quality, and have looked at the AutoCom stuff at the National rally. I have read that their speakers are tiny and small and some have replaced the speakers. Does anyone have any other suggestions at what to look at to get the GPS sound into my helmet. I had a J&M powered connection on my first LT and it caused a lot of static (alternator and spark plugs) into the helmet speakers. That's when I started wiring into the harness directly. I don't need the whistles and bells of the Baher system....so I am open to most anything else. Thanks in advance...Bob
The J&M Integratr IV is a nice, compact unit that will integrate all of that for you and give you good quality sound for your audio listening needs. Reasonable priced, too, and with pre-made cables for integrating all of these so you don't have to muddle through finding stuff to make it all work.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I went with the AutoCom system then did the Koss/Radio Shack $19 headphone mod - which works great, then added the AutoCom earbud cable (for a scant $55).

On long trips, I use my $300 BigEar headphones which are the custom molded jobs with fabulous drivers. These sound better than my $300 Etymotic ER-4 but I'm not happy about the flimsy wire BigEar uses. The Etymotics use wire you could pull a bus with - no danger of yanking it and breaking it inside the wire. High quality stuff.

So last year, I drove around California forest country for a week (6-7 hours a day) with the Etymotics under my helmet. After a few hours at the beginning of wearing them (for the first time - not of each day), your ears get used to them (at least mine did) and they were fairly comfortable (not perfect, but pretty good) until you hit the 5-6 hour mark each day. Then it's more like fatigue than uncomfortable. I also found that the foam squeeze-to-put-in tips were a lot more comfortable than the silicone bullet tips.

In December, I got fitted for the BigEar ones at the motorcycle show. Six weeks later I got them but they had to be sent back twice for adjustment, with a 4 week wait each time.

Over the July 4 holiday, I rode 700 miles (round trip) with the BigEars to Laguna Seca (they had a booth there, too) and although they start off and stay much more comfortable (and sound great while killing almost ALL wind noise), I still got to the fatigue after about 6 hours. But hey, what do you expect for having something in your ear 6+ hours?

So clearly, I'm only familiar with the AutoCom system but I'm a geek, so I did the install and LOTS of adjusting myself. I even did the unsoldering of the resistor to get the telephone levels correct myself - with great help from the tech at AutoCom.

It's close to perfect. I have a Passport 9500 radar detector, Zumo 550 with XM and traffic, the BMW radio with the CD changer removed and the Dice with my 60Gb iPod. The only thing that doesn't work as advertised is people have a hard time hearing me on the phone over 55 mph (my iPhone is in my breast pocket and it's Bluetoothed to the Zumo), although I can hear them fine.

BTW - the reason I don't Bluetooth the headphones in the helmet is that everything I've heard sounds crappy. Stereo Bluetooth wasn't good last time I listened, but that was last year. I'm an audiophile (lifetime musician and I listen to Macitosh tube equipment at home with LP's and a turntable) so I want as high quality sound as I can get in the helmet. Can you hear the difference at 70 mph? No, but lousy quality will kill your ears. At 52 years old, I'm losing my mids in one ear and have tinnitus in it, too (I'm bummed) but good quality sound is one way to keep your ears intact much longer. Distortion is your mortal enemy.

Hope this helps - ask any other questions.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I'll preface this with "your mileage may vary"....

My LT has an AutoCom ActiveRider and is tied into the factory audio system. Like some others, I prefer not to drown out noise with louder noise. My setup is similar to mrbiker's, but with a twist... I purchased a set of Phillips SBC HN060 Active noise canceling in ear headphones, then I went to a local hearing aid firm. There I inserted the earbuds, had them help me determine which of the 3 provided ear cap sizes was appropriate. We then used their mold material to "bed" the earbuds in my ear.

I now have "custom fit" active noise canceling earbuds that I am very happy with... no waiting weeks and spending big $$. I've made several 9 - 11 hour rides, comfortably, and when I get off the bike and pull the "plugs" my audio perception is "normal" like before putting the "plugs" in. The audio quality is great, until the AAA battery powering the ANR starts to die, then you get some clipping.

I can't take complete credit, I got the idea from Fuze custom earphones, I just used the Phillips active noise canceling earbuds...

John

P.S. Would love to know more about the "unsoldering of the resistor to get the telephone levels correct "

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Joh,

How did you adapt the plug from the ear bud to your Auto Com input?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks David,
I'll check with J&M. I had something like it on my first 2001 LT and it caused static and whine from the spark plugs and alternator. Maybe that has been improved. Best, Bob

DavidTaylor said:
The J&M Integratr IV is a nice, compact unit that will integrate all of that for you and give you good quality sound for your audio listening needs. Reasonable priced, too, and with pre-made cables for integrating all of these so you don't have to muddle through finding stuff to make it all work.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mike, with the speaker switch, AutoCom may be the way to go. Best, Bob

mrbiker said:
I went with the AutoCom system then did the Koss/Radio Shack $19 headphone mod - which works great, then added the AutoCom earbud cable (for a scant $55).

On long trips, I use my $300 BigEar headphones which are the custom molded jobs with fabulous drivers. These sound better than my $300 Etymotic ER-4 but I'm not happy about the flimsy wire BigEar uses. The Etymotics use wire you could pull a bus with - no danger of yanking it and breaking it inside the wire. High quality stuff.

So last year, I drove around California forest country for a week (6-7 hours a day) with the Etymotics under my helmet. After a few hours at the beginning of wearing them (for the first time - not of each day), your ears get used to them (at least mine did) and they were fairly comfortable (not perfect, but pretty good) until you hit the 5-6 hour mark each day. Then it's more like fatigue than uncomfortable. I also found that the foam squeeze-to-put-in tips were a lot more comfortable than the silicone bullet tips.

In December, I got fitted for the BigEar ones at the motorcycle show. Six weeks later I got them but they had to be sent back twice for adjustment, with a 4 week wait each time.

Over the July 4 holiday, I rode 700 miles (round trip) with the BigEars to Laguna Seca (they had a booth there, too) and although they start off and stay much more comfortable (and sound great while killing almost ALL wind noise), I still got to the fatigue after about 6 hours. But hey, what do you expect for having something in your ear 6+ hours?

So clearly, I'm only familiar with the AutoCom system but I'm a geek, so I did the install and LOTS of adjusting myself. I even did the unsoldering of the resistor to get the telephone levels correct myself - with great help from the tech at AutoCom.

It's close to perfect. I have a Passport 9500 radar detector, Zumo 550 with XM and traffic, the BMW radio with the CD changer removed and the Dice with my 60Gb iPod. The only thing that doesn't work as advertised is people have a hard time hearing me on the phone over 55 mph (my iPhone is in my breast pocket and it's Bluetoothed to the Zumo), although I can hear them fine.

BTW - the reason I don't Bluetooth the headphones in the helmet is that everything I've heard sounds crappy. Stereo Bluetooth wasn't good last time I listened, but that was last year. I'm an audiophile (lifetime musician and I listen to Macitosh tube equipment at home with LP's and a turntable) so I want as high quality sound as I can get in the helmet. Can you hear the difference at 70 mph? No, but lousy quality will kill your ears. At 52 years old, I'm losing my mids in one ear and have tinnitus in it, too (I'm bummed) but good quality sound is one way to keep your ears intact much longer. Distortion is your mortal enemy.

Hope this helps - ask any other questions.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
dandiver said:
Joh,

How did you adapt the plug from the ear bud to your Auto Com input?
Dan,

Like Bob, I sprung for the AutoCom earbud cable, here are a couple of pics...

John

·
Registered
173 Posts
Keep in mind, the DICE unit has a AUX input that could be used for the audio from the GPS, but you couldn't listen to music and the GPS at the same time.

Just a thought.....

-Scott

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
either the J&M Interatr or Autocom. Have had both, both work well. Plus, you have an intercom when you need it. Autocom mounts to the bike, Integratr is designed to be worn on the belt. For the Autocom, you can get a J&M cable that lets you keep your current helmet headset.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Scott,
Yeah, I thought about that also, it would be inconvenient to keep switching from audio to GPS with the DICE. Thanks...Bob

scurrie said:
Keep in mind, the DICE unit has a AUX input that could be used for the audio from the GPS, but you couldn't listen to music and the GPS at the same time.

Just a thought.....

-Scott

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
May be the AutoCom cable and use the current speakers might be the way to go. Like the unit on the bike not on me. Bob

taylorjn said:
either the J&M Interatr or Autocom. Have had both, both work well. Plus, you have an intercom when you need it. Autocom mounts to the bike, Integratr is designed to be worn on the belt. For the Autocom, you can get a J&M cable that lets you keep your current helmet headset.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm curious. With all the new technology of bluetooth, and wireless, why would anyone want cables and cords all over the place? I have a Cardo system with a GPS, and cell and stock audio which does me just fine for $260 for the Cardo and $210 for the Tom Tom bluetooth. Perhaps I am not the audiophile as many others are - I do listen to talk radio :histerica

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like the idea of blue tooth, but the lack of long life batteries stops me. I'm out for up to 20+ hours and need sound the entire time. Best, Bob

BigGeo said:
I'm curious. With all the new technology of bluetooth, and wireless, why would anyone want cables and cords all over the place? I have a Cardo system with a GPS, and cell and stock audio which does me just fine for $260 for the Cardo and $210 for the Tom Tom bluetooth. Perhaps I am not the audiophile as many others are - I do listen to talk radio :histerica

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Jim,
Do you know the part number for the adaptor cable to use my existing J&M helmet speakers? Thanks in advance...Bob

taylorjn said:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts