BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Magellan 6000T GPS on my LT this morning. I got this Magellan Model for a pretty good price last December as it was a discontinued model. This Magellan model has both touch screen and external button controls, which makes it pretty bulky for a car GPS ...probably the reason why it was discontinued, but which makes it actually pretty good for motorcycle operation ....although it is not water proof. I decided to install the GPS on the right side panel rather than on top of the dash board. I hard wired it so as it turns on automatically when I turn the contact on. The GPS is pretty well protected by the side screen. I rode for 30mns on the highway with some heavy rain and the GPS did not even get wet.
Next step will be to connect the audio through the LT intercom so as to get the GPS instructions through the headphone. Not sure yet if I will use the bluetooth or wire connection for this.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I bought a unit (Garmin Nuvi 360) that was not waterproof, and put it on the bike. That's not what killed it - the vibration did. The Nuvi was not rated for motocycle use because it's not waterproof, nor vibration rated.

I hope the same issue doesn't bite you!

I now have a Garmin 2730 (same as the 2820, but without Bluetooth), which is "motorcycle rated".

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been using this GPS on my bike for several trips already on battery and not hard wired. I was using the suction stand on the gas tank. Hopefully it will not get much more vibration now that installed it on the side panel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts