BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the "free" GPS when I purchased the bike last month. I have no problems until it comes to running the wires to the connectors through the instrument cluster. I have followed the instructions to the letter and cannot get the wires to run correctly. Anyone install their own units? If so, any ideas/hints would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never-mind.. the only problem I had was running the cables. Instructions said to run them down the front and pick them up underneath, and connect. My problem was that they kept hanging on something.. most likely the wind deflector mechanics. I was giving up and the wife helped, suggesting I route cable around the front, beneath the instrument cluster, then, drown and make the connection. Worked well... So, all is good in the garage and in the house. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
went through the same drill yesterday. Instructions lead me to believe you can actually thread cables through the rectangular hole and behind the instrument cluster. not going to happen without pulling instruments forward and i wasnt up for that. I ran them just as you discribed around speedometer under the cover. works great. had i known it would have saved about two hours although project was perfect for the rainy day we had here.

Here are a few photos. Once the instrument cover is back one cable is completely concealed. Any cable you see looks like all the other wires and hoses from controls.

Larry

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Take a look here.

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=2798.msg22843

Wire routing depends upon on where and how you mount the GPS unit, but it is not technical... I strongly suggest not trying to route any wire throug/in the wiring cluster for the instrument panel.
You do not need to do that... just read this link to the Zumo Forums... which you need to join anyway...

Your bike may be newer but the ideas are the same and the 12v. supply is in the same place...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I cant disagree that the installation should be proper. That said, can anyone confirm that the cable can be routed behind the instrument cluster on a 2012 RT? If so can you explain the routing? I can drop a string with washer through very easily and can see light but no way could i find a place large enough to allow the connectors to pass. Even taped them so no rough edges would catch.

I'm not unhappy with the result of routing behind the cover. The only place you see cable at all is directly below the speedometer and it looks like all the other cables, wires and hoses that are going to same place.

Connection to audio and power are absolutely according to the manual and unit works fine.

Larry

·
Registered
158 Posts
While I don't have a 2012, routing the wiring should be no different than on our 2006. I just took out a few screws that hold the dash in place, and pulled it forward to allow me get the Zumo's connector through. I ran the cable through an opening by the windshield mechanism and it doesn't interfere with the movement. I had this setup for a couple of years and have had no issues. I didn't want to start making holes anywhere and it makes for a clean install.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Stephan, if the third photo, one to right, is finished installation then the 2012 model is diferent. 2012 has a silver plastic cover that surrounds the instrument cluster and is secured with 4 screws. once cover is off you can see at least 4 brass screws that seem to hold the instrument cover in place although you can't get to two of them without removing more plastic. This might allow more room behind instruments to route cable. Regardless there are significant changes from earlier model based on your photos.

I'll post finished photo in a couple of days and this will probably make more sense.

Larry

·
Registered
158 Posts
Larry

I think that maybe were talking about two different procedures. I pulled the whole dash forward, the instrument cluster and speakers all come forward. I didn't mess with the instrument cluster itself. You have to pull the windshield off and pop the mirrors. Behind the mirrors are I believe two screws on each side and then there's the two on top where my Wunderlich bracket mounts. It comes forward enough for me to get my hands in there and tie wrap the Zumo cable. There might have been a few more screws and tupperware to take off come to think of it. It's been a couple of years and like my age I find my memory slipping away. It's good to learn how to remove the tupperware since so much of what you do on the bike requires that.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Stephan,

This is good info. I agree learning to remove the tupperware is smart. Wasnt quite ready for it on this project but when i get the chance i'll rework properly. I could see a few screws but it was obvious there were more hiding and I really couldnt tell how to deal with the mirrors. Thanks for pointing this out. I can promise you the install instructions didnt go into this detail. Basically it said fish the cable though the hole and down behind the instrument cluster and good luck. In all fairness, the rest of the instructions were quite clear and worked fine. In the end i'm happy with the install and final appearance.

thanks
Larry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts