BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new-to-me '06 LT came with a Nav II. Since 2003 maps aren't particularly useful, and the Nav II interface is pretty minima and very dated, I have replaced it with a 7" Garmin DriveSmart 65. THis particular device has Amazon Alexa built-in, includes waypoints from the History Channel and Foursquare, and includes voice search for locations via "OK Garmin".

I mounted it on the same mount on which the Nav II was mounted -- with just a bit of additional hardware. The angle works really well, even with the large screen size!

Motor vehicle Automotive design Mode of transport Speedometer Steering wheel

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Alloy wheel Motor vehicle

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,018 Posts
Nice display but I don't see a weatherproof rating so you might want to keep a plastic bag handy if it rains.

Reactions: kbob12 and meese

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice. What ball mount bracket is that?
Arkon Metal 17mm Ball Mount

... I don't see a weatherproof rating so you might want to keep a plastic bag handy if it rains.
I do keep a baggie ready, but for several years I have purchased previous-gen units (cheap on eBay) and have ridden in lots of rain without cover. They all work... until they don't. Then I replace them with another inexpensive unit, usually with better tech. They seem to last me 2-3 years. This unit was an eBay refurb unit which I picked up for $129. This location -- centered behind the windscreen -- seems like it may be better protection than my typical reservoir-mount location. We shall see!

Reactions: djmellor

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,018 Posts
Yeah you should be alright. I have run several Motorola phones in that same area and used to bag them but stopped and they all worked just fine even in down pours.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Wow! I have a Garmin motorcycle GPS, and the Garmin DriveSmart 65... I like the bigger screen though I was not able to hear it using Bluetooth. How do you use voice search?!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
My new-to-me '06 LT came with a Nav II. Since 2003 maps aren't particularly useful, and the Nav II interface is pretty minima and very dated, I have replaced it with a 7" Garmin DriveSmart 65. THis particular device has Amazon Alexa built-in, includes waypoints from the History Channel and Foursquare, and includes voice search for locations via "OK Garmin".

I mounted it on the same mount on which the Nav II was mounted -- with just a bit of additional hardware. The angle works really well, even with the large screen size!

View attachment 175628
View attachment 175629
Kevin -
Nice job, how did you run power to the unit and integrate it into the Voice II system?

Rick G

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...how did you run power to the unit and integrate it into the Voice II system?
I actually have not run power yet. When I get a chance to remove the side panels I will install a Fuzeblock FZ-1 above the battery to run power to several accessories. That said, there is a channel up through the stock mount which will allow power to run pretty invisibly to the Garmin. I use Sena comms, so I have the GPS connected via Bluetooth. The LT arrived with a Baehr intercom, but I'm really happy with the wireless Senas so will likely let someone else use that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts