BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a Garmin GPS and plan to install it on the right side handlebar just above the brake reservior. The GPS maunfacture recomends installing the GPS to the battery. I would rather run it to a key powered source.

I spoke with CC BMW and they concur with the GPS manufacture, adding that I have to remove all the tupperware, the gas tank and run it the same path as the wiring harness.

I know that many of you have been through this before and what I want to know, is do I really have to remove all the tupperware to wire the GPS from the handlebar to the battery or can I snake it through?
Any infomation would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Phil D.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Others have successfully snaked wires from the handlebars to the battery. I'm not one of them -- yet. Gave up after a couple of tries a few days ago but I'll hit it again after CCR.

I used a coat hanger (stiff) and floral wire (very flexible) as fish tape to pull wires between those 2 locations but I couldn't get a PTT switch to fit; I'm pretty sure I'll have to remove tupperware to get that big button where I need it to.

I'll be watching for other replies to your question, as I just bought a GPS and will need to install it, also.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
hschisler said:
Others have successfully snaked wires from the handlebars to the battery. I'm not one of them -- yet. Gave up after a couple of tries a few days ago but I'll hit it again after CCR.

I used a coat hanger (stiff) and floral wire (very flexible) as fish tape to pull wires between those 2 locations but I couldn't get a PTT switch to fit; I'm pretty sure I'll have to remove tupperware to get that big button where I need it to.

I'll be watching for other replies to your question, as I just bought a GPS and will need to install it, also.
Howard, remind me during the tech sessions, and I'll show you the "secret passage" ;)

·
Registered
704 Posts
There is a small passage almost from the battery to the front of the bike. A coat hanger can be used to fish the wire through with the right side fairing removed.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
removing the tupperware is pretty easy after you've done it a few times. if you want to run a power line direct to the battery you will want to take off the tupperware on the left side.

your challenge will be integrateing the audio into your intercom system. BMW does not make this easy. i was lucky ... my bike came with GPS cabling. when i upgraded to a new GPS i just used the old power/audio cabling.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
mneblett said:
Howard, remind me during the tech sessions, and I'll show you the "secret passage" ;)
You got it. You'll want to catch my current arrangement: 15 yards of cables coming up from beneath the seat to the tank bag. Looks like an electrician's nightmare.

Looking forward to it. Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
mneblett said:
What I wouldn't do to know about this "secret passage." I've had the tupperware off twice so that's not really a problem...........but a "secret passage?" Would you mind sharing this? d.

·
Registered
975 Posts
You can do it!

dwillie said:
What I wouldn't do to know about this "secret passage." I've had the tupperware off twice so that's not really a problem...........but a "secret passage?" Would you mind sharing this? d.
Only thing I could find was some space under the tank alongside the airbox.

I could never find it (or trust myself that I did find it!)... So I ended up taking off the gas tank and routing cable where I could actually see where it went... There really is a lot of room in there and, once you trust that the cable is where it needs to be, you can snake it through there without taking off any of the plastic bits...

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Gino said:
Only thing I could find was some space under the tank alongside the airbox.

I could never find it (or trust myself that I did find it!)... So I ended up taking off the gas tank and routing cable where I could actually see where it went... There really is a lot of room in there and, once you trust that the cable is where it needs to be, you can snake it through there without taking off any of the plastic bits...
This is a *much* better way of doing things -- for my own bike, except for one time with my '02, I *always* remove the tank to see exactly where things are going; the extra effort to remove the tank is more than worth the effort usually expended in routing things with the tank in place.

FWIW, most wires I route between the airbox and the electrical box, and route along the right side of the steering head. The "secret passage" really isn't a secret :) -- it's just not immediately obvious. You can route a coat hanger down the left side of the steering head, under the air box, despite the appearance that it's not possible. It is, however, not easy to do without the hanger and/or the wiring bundle hanging up on various ridges, edges, etc. A pita; if the tupperware's already off, it's much easier to pull the tank.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GPS Tuperware removal.

Thanks DaMan 858,

The map light worked great. You saved me lots of time

1 - 12 of 12 Posts