BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
I would like to install a GPS on my LT. I am not looking for a cheap one but for a good one, easy to use and reliable, at a reasonnable price (quite original!). I am leaving in France so I am looking for a brand that is distributed in my country. Any suggestion and advice?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
The majority of the GPS users on this forum use a Garmin product...mostly the older SP III, the 2610, or the 276c. In fact, the BMW GPSes is nothing more than Garmin units. And, Garmin has full map sets available for France.

I own the 2610, and LOVE it. I don't know how I traveled without it for so many years.

As for the "reasonnable price" part, that's relative. What's reasonable for me might not be reasonable to you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Garmin Quest

I am using the Garmin Quest. It has a memory of 100+ Mb, and should handle all the maps for France, and some of the surrounding areas. The unit has internal battery and works for about 20 hours if you dim the background lighting. I suggest buying the Garmin motorcycle mounting kit, and either a ram ball mount or an angle plate from BSR to mount the unit to the bike. I powered mine from the dash light.

Sine Garmin has introduced the Quest 2 which has more memory, the Quest has been discounted about $200. It looks like a bargin right now and the memory is sufficient to do most of what you will need. Long trips may require that you have access to a laptop for additional maps.

Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Joe,

A BMW unit costs here arround 2000 Euro (= 2400$ at the moment). I am expecting a lower price. I will have a look on Garmin website.

Thanks anyway,

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Carl,

You are the 2nd member advising Garmin. I will try to get more infos locally.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Salut Christian,

j' habite en Allemange et je peus te recommender aussi le Quest.

Next in English because my french is too bad.
I have also the Quest with the mount through the maplight. There is a small company close to Hamburg offering a special kind of clamp which fits perfectly.
By the way: The Europen Quest has a 250 MB capacity. 10, something is already full with the base map. So about 240 MB is available for planning your trips. As far as I know they are developing a new Quest with higher capacity. For my personal use the capacity is enough.
The unit can also be used on bicycles and is as fast as the 2610 by recalculating the routes.
If you want I can send you some pictures about the setup.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Ralf,

And thanks for your contribution. I have been on Garmin website and the price is fairly interesting, 750€ instead of 2000€ for the BMW device.

Le bonsoir de notre bonne vieille France,

·
Prodigal Son
1,297 Posts
I understand that TomTom is the Euro leader in sales and a good product.
Personally have Garmin products here in the USA.
Also , you might loook @ the Lowrance I-Way , some of the group loves it.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hi Christian,

If you want to come over to the house and check out my GPS, you are are welcome to do so. I live very close to Dampierre (78) and it is only a 10 min. ride from Elancourt.

I use the BMW GPS equal to a Garmin SP III for my vehicles.

Not too long ago I bought another one at Eldorauto in Coignieres for €390.00.

Not the latest model any longer, but they work fine.

I also looked at the Tom-Tom rider GPS at the motorcycle fair in Paris yesterday and it seemed nice. The price for it was €799.00. The screen had touch controls and the display about the size of the SPIII.

Stefan

·
Registered
434 Posts
Garmin Quest

Another vote for the quest!!
check out www. buyeretail.com
I bought mine in the US for only $335! (this was after the intro of the quest2)
If you buy it in Europe it comes with the Europe CD, I've read in Garmin's literature.
I'd be interested in knowing more from the 2 guys who permanently mounted it:
Do you mean that you can still remove the unit from the mount so you can take it to another vehicle?
Did you get the cord from Garmin to provide the 'juice'.
Is the mount the 'cradle' type with the connectors set up to recieve the unit?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hallo,

my Quest is not permanently mounted. The mount I am using is the original Garmin mount for motorcycles

http://www.garmin.de/Photos/Zubehoer/016978.jpg

This mount is screwed onto a LT specific clamp which goes through the maplight. For details please see following link to the German BMW bilderpool. I put some pictures there. If you cannot have access I can also send the pictures by mail. Negative point: No maplight nomore. But be honest; do you really need it?

http://www.bmw-bilderpool.de/Quest-Montage

This clamp is offered from a small german company (www.motorrad-herden.de). That guy modified a baehr audiocable with a 3,5mm stereo plug to fit into the 3,5mm socket from the Garmin cable. So the sound goes through the baehr intercom. For power supply I used the existing power supply from the maplight. Advantage is that the power is cut if you lock the bike. (conection red-violett/ black-brown). The location is perfect. Even if the sun is nearly down you can see still everything without problems.
The protection is better then on the handlebar even if the Quest is designed for outdoor use. (I am not sure if the TomTom can also be used for rain wether)
There is a small lever on the mount which locks the Quest if it's in. I am also using the unit in my car with the car adapter coming in the OE package.

Hopefully this answers your questions. From pricepoint I payed for all the stuff including clamp and cables about 650 €. Unfortunately this was before the Quest 2 introduction. I did the setup by my own.

Main difference between US and europe version is the basemap on the unit and the capacity. Basemap is either US or Europe and cannot be changed. So be carefull by buying a US version for the european area. And the capacity of the european unit was already 250MB before the Quest2.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everybody for your kind contribution. You have brought a lots of interesting informations which will be helpfull in my future choice.

Best regards,

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm using a TomTom. I had it installed in a Dell PDA and it worked pretty well - with a couple of reservations:

1. PDA's aren't very waterproof :( (I was out in some heavy rain a couple of weeks ago and it got wet - It's not completely dry yet.)

2. Although a PDA works well in a car, it isn't at all good in bright sunlight (not that I spend a lot of time looking at it - I tend to rely on the voice directions.)

Tom Tom were supposed to be bringing out a GPS designed for bikes - the Tom Tom 'Ride'. I may well get one of those when it eventually coomes out.

Garmin GPS systems are very good (I had a Street Pilot Mk ll on my R1100RT for a few years) but the prices - particularly for the European model - are too high, IMO.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a Street Pilot III mounted on a Touratech lockable mount which fits on a bar (also from Touratech) that bolts thro' the hole for the spare rear view mirror on the L/H side of the bars. I got BMW to connect it up when the bike was serviced.
Regards
Terry

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi Christian
I've used the Garmin StreetPilot III in France, a wonderful tool, so if you are on a tight budget, try and find one of these discontinued models. Colour screen, talks to you, and is fully waterproof, superb for biking.
Took me round the boulevarde pheripherique and to the Eiffel Tower from Maastricht without putting a foot wrong! A journey of some 555 miles and not one wrong turn, not even in the city, with it's underground motorways and junctions every 10 metres. Long in the tooth but a worthy tool all the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was using a PDA with TomTom software, but finally got fed up with fiddling about with a Bluetooth connection to the GPS receiver, and worrying about the poor weatherproofing.

Garmin 2610 units were selling at a very good price in the UK earlier this year (around £500/700 Euros) and there will still be bargains around.

Touratech (www.touratech.de) make a sturdy mount for the 2610 - far more secure than the thing Garmin themselves sell, and also do a bracket on which it can be mounted. The bracket fits the redundant mirror screw hole in the clutch level assembly.

I still use TomTom in the car, but I am very pelased with the Garmin on the bike, after some 10,000 miles around Europe in the last ten months.. See photos.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts