BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gather from posts on this site (and other research) that Garmin's Window's-only software does not play well with Mac OS X.

As best I can tell, there are three other options:

1. Lowrance: mapping software is also PC only.

2. Magellan: stand-alone GPS unit that does not interface with a computer.

3.TomTom: stand-alone GPS unit that is capable of backing data up to Mac or PC via USB cable. TomTom appears to have some interesting features including adding weather and traffic information at little or no additonal cost.

Am I missing anything? Are there any GPS units that work with mapping software compatible with Mac OS X?

Does anyone have enough experience with both the Garmin and TomTom or Magellan to comment on what capabilities, if any, are lost by using a stand-alone unit?

Thank you in advance for helping me wrap my brain around this issue.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
nath3an said:
3.TomTom: stand-alone GPS unit that is capable of backing data up to Mac or PC via USB cable. TomTom appears to have some interesting features including adding weather and traffic information at little or no additonal cost.
I got the TomTom for my wife and she really likes it. No buttons, except the on button. and you have all the US preloaded on an SD card.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andy,

Thanks for the note on the TomTom. Based on your comment about the SD card, I'm guessing your wife has the Go 300 unit. I have a few quick questions about it:

- Is the unit weatherproof?
- Can the touch-screen be used while wearing gloves?
- Is it difficult or laborious to program in multiple way-points or to make complex changes to the route in the middle of a ride?
- Have you used any of the PLUS Services such as weather or traffic? Do they provide enough useful information to adjust your route on the fly? How easy is it to change your route based on this info?

Thanks,
Nathan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts