BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which Garmin model fits the BMW mount on the K1200LT? Is there a way to mount the ZUMO is the same location as the BMW Navigator?

·
Registered
533 Posts
The ZUMO 550 fits as well as the later models of the ZUMO to the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have had the Zumo 550 and now the 665 fit on the GPS mount using the supplied cradle. The problem is the BMW power/audio connector will not work on a Garmin. With the 550 it is simply solved by clipping the BMW connector off, isolating the power wires and putting a new plug for the Zumo 550. The 660/665 is a little more problematic as the wiring bundle (power, audio, mic & sat antenna) are integrated into the mount. To do it cleanly and safely the bundle needs to be routed under the gas tank, which requires removal of both forward side panels and the stingray. I had a local independent BMW mechanic route the bundle for me. If you have the time and inclination you can do it yourself. I had him route it so the wires come out under the rear part of the tank and under the seat. From here I connected the power to a fuse block and the audio to my Starcom which lives under the seat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How did you get the mount painted? I was thinking about an accessory shelf, but the flat black "I added this so make something of it" look isn't my preference.

Thanks,
--jim

HarryM said:
Here are some photographs of my Zumo fitted to the LT using a Touratech lockable mount. The power lead is connected on the RH side and the audio into the Autocom system. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
HarryM said:
Jim,
The painted part is from the orginal BMW Navigator 2 preparation kit. Harry
Well darn... I suppose I could get the paint codes somewhere and order some touchup paint. I've seen an outfit online that will fill a spray can with what they claim is decent-quality matched paint.

--jim

·
Registered
42 Posts
I made a custom mount for my gps out of some old plexiglas. Came out very nice. I went to Pep-Boys and got Dupli-Color Truck,Van &SUV spray paint. ( Color - T408 Pewter ). It matches the dash beautifully on my 2005 LT. Harold

Attachments

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Looks great! Nice job.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Harold-NY said:
I made a custom mount for my gps out of some old plexiglas. Came out very nice. I went to Pep-Boys and got Dupli-Color Truck,Van &SUV spray paint. ( Color - T408 Pewter ). It matches the dash beautifully on my 2005 LT. Harold
Harold,

That has got to be the best looking custom mount, congrats.

I am wondering how you attached it to the dash? :confused:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Most here seem to like the centered position of the GPS, or even on a shelf. Just to offer a different opinion, I prefer off to the left side and closer, within easy reach. For my Zumo 660 mount, I used the "affordable" GPS mount from Touratech: http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-040-0652/Touratech-GPS-Mount-Adapter-K1200LT-K1200GT-R1100RT-and-R1150RT. In this position, I can see the GPS quite well, perfectly positioned under the sun shield of my Sheuberth C2, without having to glance down and I don't have to reach down into the instrument cluster to control it.

Edit: I also needed this to attach the RAM mount included with the Zumo to the handlebar adapter: http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1753/PN-GRAHA/RAM-Crossbar-Adapter-for-GRAH-068-0018

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nice! Are you taking orders?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cut plexiglas to size and used a dremal tool to custom fit edges. I used a thicker piece on the front side so that I could sand it down to make it curve with the dash. 2 screws hold it onto the curved edge. 2 srews to a stainless steel bracket to the front of the cowl. It needs a 3 point connection to make it stable.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can anyone maybe help me with where to connect the wiring of the Garmin Zumo 590LM to the harness? I have a 2007 K1200lt.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts