BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be a good GPS to look into if I want to use it outdoors (kayaking for example) and also for our motorcycle trips? My SO can navigate if need be via the intercom, so it wouldn't have to be one that is hard mounted on the bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Joe,

I can recommend the Garmin Quest. Small like a mobile phone and can also be used on bicycle and by feet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Outdoor GPS

I have had a Magellan Meridian for over a year and love it. Water proof and it is suppose to float, although I have never tried it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Brucev said:
I have had a Magellan Meridian for over a year and love it. Water proof and it is suppose to float, although I have never tried it.
Check out the Garmin 76cs and the Quest. 76cs better for hiking and outdoors, Quest better for driving and motorcycling but both are great units.

I have a 76cs I may be interested in selling.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I love my Garmin Etrex Color Legend. I bought it for the same reasons your looking for a multi-purpose unit. I use it sailing, biking, finding addresses around town, and touring. I like the Etrex package size because it is small enough to lock in the tank glove box. I also use a Saeng mirror mount to mount the unit to the left handlebar. This helps for reading the smaller screen. Although the larger units are more functional, I don't like the larger obtrusive size. The mapsource software works great with this unit. In addition it is water proof. I currently use only NiMh batteries which last 2 days before needing recharged, I actually switch between 2 sets of batteries each day. I plan to wire a 5 volt supply in the future, but the battery operation is just fine for now. If one wanted to, they could use a cigarette lighter adapter with the power outlet. Too much cabling for me though.

Hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts