BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sure and I will be purchasing my first BMW tomorrow. It is the Elite model and has the bracket and wiring for a GPS. Question I have heard the GPS that was probably on it was a Garmin Zuno 550. I am wandering if it was some kind of GPS model that BMW sold with this bike since it is the Elite model. I have heard that the Elite came with a GPS when purchased.

Anyway anyone know if I purchased a Garmin Zuno 550 if it should just plug in?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Congrats on the new to you LT.

My BMW GPS knowledge is limited, but from what I THINK I know, the BMW units are Garmin units similar to the StreetPilot line. Nav Series I, II, & III, probably depending on model year. I'm not sure if the Zumo was an option. Might have been. As to if the Zumo would fit where a BMW Nav had been, I don't know, but someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.

BMW mounted the GPS units pretty low. My StreetPilot is on the stingray too. Another Lee, LAF, moved his from the stingray to a BMR Co-Pilot shelf that mounts above the instrument cluster. I planned to do this at some point. The pictures Lee posted and the ease of installation of the shelf prompted me to go ahead and order one. It is set to arrive tomorrow. Here is a link to the thread with the pictures. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48323&highlight=shelf+gps Mounting the GPS on the shelf, shades the gauges and keeps you from having to look far away from the road. The screen is right there just below your line of sight.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
There is a good chance the GPS was mounted with the map light bracket. That was the Garmin steet pilot series. Possibly a 2610 or equivelent. No, I take that back probably a steet pilot 3. Zumo wasn't around back then and won't plug into the same space. But you'll figure it out. You can remove the old stuff and get a BMR shelf and wire it up yourself.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The 2002 came with a BMW badged Streetpiolt III. There were no Zumo then. A Zumo will not just hook up you will have to do some wiring mods and a bracket mod as well.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have the ZUmo 550 (BMW) and recent upgrades allow me to have the XM and weather alerts. It does cost a bit, but I have been having a ball doing the geocache while riding about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts