BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.TomTom RIDER - Features
Cross-country road trips: Find your way to any town in the United States
The smartest portable navigator on two wheels : feel the freedom!

Designed for 2 wheels: TomTom RIDER isn’t just weatherproof, it also gives you a perfect view of the screen thanks to anti-glare screen technology and an integrated sun-visor
Easy to use: drive mode tailored for simple touch-screen operation, even with gloves
Clear 3D maps and spoken instructions: hear crystal clear turn-by-turn instructions in your helmet in the language of your choice using Bluetooth TM wireless headset
Home charger (battery life up to 5 hours) + battery cable (recharges from bike’s battery) means you are always ready to ride.
Door-to-door planning: Find your way to any address in the United States
Hands-free calling: TomTom RIDER routes calls from your mobile phone using a wireless Bluetooth link so that you can keep in touch safely without taking off your gloves or helmet.
Wireless headset included: Bluetooth receiver + earphone cable with integrated microphone
Mounting kit available to make RIDER fit any bike or scooter
Technical Information

Integrated GPS receiver based on SiRF Star III with 20 Channel All-in-view tracking
CPU: 300 MHz
32 MB RAM
3.5 inch, 320 x 240 TFT colour LCD touchscreen
115mm x 92mm x 58mm, 310 grams
Internal rechargeable Li-Ion giving approx. 5hours
Operating temperature: - 10 to + 55 °C
Water resistant
Memory card (SD card) with software and maps
USB port and cable for PC connection
Bluetooth headset included for clear wireless spoken instructions
Alternative power source: 12V motorbike battery
Mounting kit to fit most bikes

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I was very interested in the Tom Tom product as it was coming to market last year. Even went as far to get my E-mail address registered with them for product updates.

Never heard a peep from them. :(

I went and purchased a GARMIN 276C marine/car GPS, Could not be happier ... just LOVE IT !

Water proof, holds LOTs of waypoints, and a Bitchin screen you can see in Full daylight !

Scott

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have the TomTom software and an antenna for my Palm Zire 72. It saved our a**es last week at midnight when we got lost on a detour in Vegas. I had forgotten I had it in my bag. When I dug it out and hooked up we were unlost in 5 minutes.

I have an SPIII which I like, but I like the look of TomTom's software better.

·
Registered
64 Posts
TomTom

I've been using their GPS software on a PDA for almost two years now. I'd even worked out a satisfactory - but not weatherproof - means to mount the set up on my K1200LT. In the end, at the beginning of 2005, I moved over to a Garmin 2610, because of the price they were being sold at in the UK at the time, and because it offered a salightly mor integrated solution. Shortly after I made the move, TomTom announced the TomTom Rider.

Initially I was annoyed, but about eleven months later, I'm not, because it seems no one has seen anything of it, except promises and media hype. I am wondering whether it will make an appearance at the UK National Bike Show starting next week, but I'm not holding my breath.

If it comes with software similar to the current stuff on the PDA, it will be good, especially if it is the fully integrated and weatherproof package promised. One hopes that the software will have been properly tested, though. On forums like www.pocketgps.co.uk you will find many threads suggesting that TomTom is more than a little bit prone to releasing stuff with major bugs in it. The well known shortcomings in UK mapping and address look up seems to have been resolved now, but I'd advise anyone thinking of going the TomTom route (no pun intended) to do their on-line research first with some of the many users contributing to GPS forums that cover TomTom and its products.

Tom Phillips
Maidstone, Kent
UK

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just to add to this, I've been to the UK Motorcycle Show today, and finally seen the mythical TomTom Rider on display. Seems there were none for sale, but the varous dealers with it were all keen to take orders. Hmm..

The thing is as described. Screen size is the same as a PDA in landscape format. Overall unit is taller and flatter than a Garmin Streetpilot, but looks to have a similar standard of construction. Software is clearly very similar to what I have on my PDA. The mounts on display all looked like versions of RAM mounts. Takes maps on SD cards and says (for UK models) that the UK postal code system is hard-coded in. Hmm...

While the trade stand monkeys had clearly been taught their script, none knew anything about integrating it with the sort of set up typical on a K1200LT. The thing comes with a Bluetooth headset as an option, but apparently no simple way to integrate with, say, Autocom systems - except perhaps via the Nokia Bluetooth adapter sold by Autocom.

I am sure someone will crack the problems, but I wonder how much longer until the thing hits the stores. The Show was the "Official Launch", but there were no bets being taken on delivery dates. Hmmm.

Sorry, I didn't get to take any photographs, and didn't bother to pick up the official technical spec.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts