BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I began to find all the noise the cowbell makes embarrassing. I found a fellow that had an EBC rotor and scuffed in pads for sale thru the BMOA website. When the weather turns I plan on doing this myself. I do not have a heat gun and I guess I may need it to revove a couple of screws. Any hints, warnings and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Larry
2001 BMW K1200lt

·
Registered
710 Posts
I did not have to heat the bolts on mine to remove the rotor. But if you need a heat gun, they're only $20 or less.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I used a hair dryer on mine and they came out easy. I think they might have come out cold, but I didn't try them.

Clymer spec says to buy new screws, but I and a few others here, thinks it's not necessary.
You be the judge!

Just my .02 cents worth.

Hope it solves your "cowbell" effect. I just put a little goo on the rivots and it quieted it down and still floats. :bmw:

Vern

·
Registered
710 Posts
vernvernvern said:
Clymer spec says to buy new screws, but I and a few others here, thinks it's not necessary.
You be the judge!
Vern
Good point. I re-used mine with some blue thread lock. Go red if you think you might worry about it.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I have removed 3 ABS ring by drilling a 1/8 inch hole into the rotor just inside the ABS ring. Do this about every 2 inches around the rotor & the ring will just pop off with a long screw driver. After all the old rotor is trash anyway. To install ring on new rotor just put rotor on a piece of wood bigger then the rotor. Put ring in place then put a 2X4 flat on the ring & tap on with a hammer moving the wood around the ring a few inches every hit.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vernvernvern

What do you mean by "Goo"

Larry

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,934 Posts
I bought a used one with the ring already on it. Wow what a difference. I am actually using the rear brake at stop signs again with out the red face.:eek:

As far as the bolts go they only hold it on when the wheel is off, otherwise the five lug bolts do all the work.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
vernvernvern said:
I used a hair dryer on mine and they came out easy. I think they might have come out cold, but I didn't try them.

You be the judge!Vern
Where can I find "new" rotor screws?
Dealer says I must buy$$$ entire assembly, screws not listed as available seperatly.
My 02 clanks terribly and screws seem worn at 84K.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My EBC rotor came with new screws. The clanking (cowbell) is not from the screws. Its from rivets holding the rotor and the floating design. I guess that the weather is changing for the worse here in Oregon starting Thursday evening & I hope to do the work soon but I am still trying to find a new front tire.

·
Registered
710 Posts
lkniess said:
Vernvernvern

Larry
I used the blue disc brake quiet goop. A small brush to help swab it all around the rivets. My rotor was not cowbelling but the rivets seemed loose to me.
I've seen others post about using RTV silicone.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
dougholck said:
Where can I find "new" rotor screws?
Dealer says I must buy$$$ entire assembly, screws not listed as available seperatly.
My 02 clanks terribly and screws seem worn at 84K.
Now that's FUNNY! Not funny ha ha but, funny strange. When I bought my rotor from the parts department, the service department asked "Did you think to order the rotor screws also?" "Its Ok! We have some extras". Anyway, no more clanking.

·
Registered
247 Posts
As strange as this sounds, I resolved the cowbell clanging on my 01LT (94K) by taking off the rotor and inserting shoe goo into the loose rivets. See photo. Let it dry overnight (outside the garage since the goo is smelly) and the next day it will be hard as a rock. I put it back on the bike and have had no problems since (for about 2K miles so far).

Got the idea from this website.

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Photos do not work!
Larry

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sorry, cannot get photos to upload correctly. Will keep trying.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
lkniess said:
Vernvernvern

Larry

Sorry for the delay, Larry.

Nothing I've used is very long lasting. The first time I used a dab of "form a gasket". The last time I used "boot cement". It has quieted the cowbell effect the longest.

There is nothing professional about this fix. Make sure you don't use much volume of anything that might disperse and get on/under your brake pads, causing it to be a safety issue.

We old farmers use a lot of baling wire for fixes, but it won't work in this situation. LOL :dance:
Vern :bmw:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Be careful with the "goo" fix. While it will dampen the vibration, it will not make up for a rotor worn out of spec. If your rotor has significant radial or circular movement, replace it.

I say "significant" because I couldn't get my dealer to put a number on it, he just knew my rotor was "out of spec." Kinda vague, but I hope you get the difference. I posted a video awhile back on what my rotor looked like. If youv'e let the vibration go on for some time, check for wear before thinking the goo will make up for it.

Happy riding,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts