BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Got shamed into cleaning the black

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  fpmlt 
#1 ·
I was going through a couple'a threads, and saw a picture of LAF's bike, and those black tip-over wing covers were soooooooo purdy!!! Went out and looked at mine, and felt really bad. So, head hung low, I went and got some Mothers "Back to Black". Spent a couple hours waxing and polishing, and I'm no longer ashamed of myself. That stuff works pretty good. I'd been using Armorall on them, but it never really did much. One of the things that always bugged me was the white speckled look from dried wax that would come off. It's all gone now.
If LAF has shamed you as he did me, try it, I think you'll like it.
And to be honest, had Mothers not worked, I would have tried AMSOIL. That shtuff will do ANYTHING.

#2 ·
fpmlt said:
I was going through a couple'a threads, and saw a picture of LAF's bike, and those black tip-over wing covers were soooooooo purdy!!! Went out and looked at mine, and felt really bad. So, head hung low, I went and got some Mothers "Back to Black". Spent a couple hours waxing and polishing, and I'm no longer ashamed of myself. That stuff works pretty good. I'd been using Armorall on them, but it never really did much. One of the things that always bugged me was the white speckled look from dried wax that would come off. It's all gone now.
And to be honest, had Mothers not worked, I would have tried AMSOIL. That shtuff will do ANYTHING.
Could be from a competitor. From an Amazon Review . . .

I have read all the reviews for Mother's Back To Black, and frankly, I am a little surprised that no one has mentioned the "rain factor" with this product. I used to use this on my Volvo bumpers because over the years, they had faded from black to grey. The Back to Black did make the bumpers look nice; however, as soon as the next rainfall, the stuff would run off the bumpers and cause really ugly streaks. Likewise, every time I washed the car, applications of the Back to Black became an additional step during the washing process. Well, I got tired of that really fast.

For those who use this product and love having to continually apply and re-apply it over and over again, enjoy! However, for those who are looking for a permanent remedy to your faded trim, use Forever Black. It is also available here on Amazon. I applied 6 coats of the stuff back in September of last year (2007). As of right now, the bumpers on my car look BETTER than they did on the day I bought the car (3 years ago). The bumpers look fantastic and the Forever Black is not affected by rain, or any other weather conditions. Actually, I am quite shocked that Forever Black is not better known that it is.

:corn:

#4 ·
I found Turtle Wax ICE works wonders on plastic and rubber parts, and lasts a LONG time. I too had had problems on my cars for decades with rubber and plastic trim parts getting that mottled grey look, with little white specks in the rough surfaces. Read something on another site about the new at the time Turtle Wax "ICE" product, stating that it could be used on the whole car, rubber and plastic trim included, so tried it. Holy Cow, it worked like magic. Now it is the only product I use on my cars, and do not need to do it very often either. Great thing is that you do the whole car with one product, and do not need to be careful around the plastic and rubber like other products. Makes it easy.

#7 ·
:worthless

I really don't spend a lot of time shining the bike, riding is more fun!

I am a firm believer in 303 for plastic/vinyl. http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/65/303-aerospace-protectant.cfm Back to Black has done amazing things on discolored plastic for me. I do rub it in and it does need time to dry. However using 303 I really don't have any faded black on my vehicles.

Still need pictures as proof of said work :D

#8 ·
Time to add to the complaint - my experience form.

Own a first year Avalanche (2002) with all the Tupperware - 303 runs and streaks after exposure to rain ^%$@$&*@%^$* :( . . . back to your what you were doing in the first place!!

#9 ·
fpmlt said:
Gets better gas mileage cause it cuts through the wind easier!!!!;)
Thats my story & I'm stickin' to it.

#10 ·
:wtf: First Lee shames me, now he demands photos to prove I actually did it? And on top of that, he promised to tell me what speakers he used for his stereo upgrade, but didn't?!?

I'm going to take a nap. I just hope life is better when I wake up.

#14 ·
fpmlt said:
:wtf: First Lee shames me, now he demands photos to prove I actually did it? And on top of that, he promised to tell me what speakers he used for his stereo upgrade, but didn't?!?

I'm going to take a nap. I just hope life is better when I wake up.
Wow your nap did make life better you posted a pic :histerica

Man, speakers yes I am old and do suffer from Halfheimer's :rolleyes:

I did not know (remember) you had her stripped down and waiting to order the speakers :p

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26002&highlight=speaker

Post 16 and 17.

And for all those got 303, and Back to Black running, not sure what to tell you? The 303 will wash off but I have never experienced runs. It is not ArmorAll trash, it is a UV conditioner for rubber, plastic, and vinyl. I use it on all side walls of tires, all dashes, all rubber door seals, it is most excellent on rubber tires and hose, plastic connectors. It will also rejuvinate what UV robs from rubber, plastic, and vinyl. My 7 year old door rubber in my car looks better then new, and are very pliable. Remember this is really a non porous surface your dealing with here on the wing covers. I usually wipe them 5 or six times as I do the bike.

I like Ron's idea and have been toying with spraying them also.

#15 ·
dshealey said:
I found Turtle Wax ICE works wonders on plastic and rubber parts, and lasts a LONG time. I too had had problems on my cars for decades with rubber and plastic trim parts getting that mottled grey look, with little white specks in the rough surfaces. Read something on another site about the new at the time Turtle Wax "ICE" product, stating that it could be used on the whole car, rubber and plastic trim included, so tried it. Holy Cow, it worked like magic. Now it is the only product I use on my cars, and do not need to do it very often either. Great thing is that you do the whole car with one product, and do not need to be careful around the plastic and rubber like other products. Makes it easy.
+1. I started using ICE a couple of years ago and it works great on both the paint and plastic with no white residue anywhere. My only complaint is that I don't think it is nearly as durable as a regular old paste wax, but it is so easy to apply that this isn't a big deal.

#16 ·
Just an update on the Mothers Back to Black. While it did a nice job, it never ran as some reported, but it also did not last, like some reported. I think it did a nice job, more or less, of restoring the black, but it fades quickly.
I tried the Turtle Wax Ice as some recommended, and I'm sold on that. Works really well, and easy. I also have tried lots of stuff on the seats, and so far Pledge works as well or better than most.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.