BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I pre ordered, I was one of 6 locally to get to take the bike for several hours. I rode through the city, on back streets, on a few twisties and on the interstate for about 2 1/2 hours. The only downside was the temperature was in the mid 90's. At one point it registered 98.7 and I thought it was taking my temperature.

Overall, the bike is amazing. If I were to list the things I didn't like about the K1200LT and then list what it didn't have that I wish it did, the K1600GTL is the answer. Way too many things that I like.

Just one in particular; This bike LOVES twisties and simply craves a winding road. It does not like a straight path. Hard to describe, but it just handles like a sport bike. Moving more than one MPH and it feels like it weighs 350 pounds!

Several thinks that I did not like. The initial sound from the exhaust. Sounds like a cheap can installed on a Honda Civic low rider. Past 10 MPH, I love the sound. Low speed sound is horrible!

Riding position. I'm 5-10/30" inseam and my legs were crunched up. On my K1200LT I've added the 1 1/2 pedal extensions and will have to do the same on this bike. I like the low seat and will have to modify the peddles. Raising the seat would help, but I prefer to be closer to the ground.

The handlebars have counter weights on the end and I prefer a complete throttle that twists like the K1200LT. Don't know if that can be changed.

My demo seemed to larch when I slowed down by reducing the throttle. Not sure if I am describing this correctly, but it was annoying. It would not coast smoothly when decelerating.

I'll probably come up with a few more little things. I'm about 99% sure that I'll accept the bike when it come in. Don't have a date yet and will probably give it a few more test rides when I get the time.

The picture was taken in the driveway with 1/2 helmet that I wore riding through the neighborhood with my wife on the back. Still felt like the K1200LT! Once I left the neighborhood and completed my test ride I wore my full face helmet. I didn't have the intercom hooked up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Nice write-up, Dan. Thanks for taking us along on your ride.

When you say the bike lurched when decelerating, were you feathering the throttle back bit by bit, or closing it completely? My LT doesn't like me to close the throttle either. If I'm slowing due to traffic, red lights, stop signs, etc., I roll off slightly for engine braking, apply brakes, and drop a gear if needed. Part of it may be the viscosity of the engine oil. I use 20W/50 which isn't energy conserving. Oil that is labeled energy conserving won't produce as much engine braking, therefore no/not as much lurch when rolling off the throttle.

How the hairy did I turn this into an oil thread? :confused: :histerica

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lee,

The throttle lurching seemed to be excessive. It happened when I used the throttle as a break to slow down. Kind of hard to describe, but only slowing down and in traffic. Seemed like I could not "reduce the gas" as a way to smoothly slow down. It was smother to downshift.

Now back to the oil thread...... Damn!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Lower gears make the lurch much more pronounced if on and off the throttle. In slow moving traffic, I ease the clutch in and out to control the speed. Isn't riding in walking-speed traffic FUN!

·
Registered
519 Posts
The throttle by wire has a slightly different feel than a cable and so I too noticed that there was a bit of on-off-on-off when at very low speeds and feathering the throttle between closed (idle) and slightly open. I noticed it got better as I started to get used to the different feel in the drive-by-wire throttle. In my opinion there is anything "wrong" with the bike in this regard, but rather just getting used to the throttle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How did your wife like the back seat, compared to the LT? Was it just as comfortable?

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
dmacd said:
How did your wife like the back seat, compared to the LT? Was it just as comfortable?
My wife thought it was as good if not better then the LT
She liked that the seat was more narrow & the foot pegs are in a better position for her. She did miss the Arm Rest that we have on the LT but found holding onto the grab handles easy & made her fill planted in the seat. She also like that she was up a little higher or I was lower & could see over my head better.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks, that's exactly the feedback I need. My wife always complains that she can't see over my head, and it looks like the passenger seat is about 2 inches higher on the GTL than on the LT, so that will please her. Happy wife, happy life!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Coming from a K12GT rather than an LT, I was underwhelmed by my 1/2 hour test ride. The first disappointment was sitting on the bike, raising it to a vertical position off the sidestand. Heavy - much heavier feel than the K12GT. You might not notice this, coming from the heavier LT. Next, they've changed the position of the rider's footpegs. They're slightly more forward than those on the K12GT. At a stop, the pegs on the K12GT fall just behind my lower leg. On the K16GT, the pegs are right in the middle of my lower leg. I have to stretch out a bit more with my legs to get secure footing. Power-wise, I noticed no difference; you'll note a BIG difference coming from an LT. The engine of the K12GT spins a lot faster at a given road speed, in 6th gear, than does the engine of the K16GT. Perhaps because of this, and the lower weight, I felt that in a high-gear roll-on from 60 mph, the K12GT would be faster than the K16GT. I frequently pass in this manner, so this is a real-world concern for me, not just another statistic comparison. The handlebars are buckhorn-style, like the LT - for me, that makes you sit too straight-up. I much prefer the slight forward lean of bars on the K12GT. And the on-board computer was showing 41.2 mpg - well below the 47 mpg on my K12GT. All in all: disappointing.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks Dan for sharing your ride, nice report. The GTL is oh so tempting, but I just purchased my 09 LT in November.

·
Registered
49 Posts
On my LT, I don't mind having to downshift to pass slower traffic. The other day, I needed to get around three cars on a two lane stretch, and they were doing about 55 mph. Down a couple of gears, give her full throttle, and by the time I got in front of the third car I was just over 100 mph. This on an LT! Who really needs more than that? Oh yeah, that was two up as well. I thought my wife would give me heck, but she found the whole thing rather thrilling. As far as seating and handlebar positioning, the GTL is quite similar to the LT, so that will not be a problem for me. I can see how it might not compare to a K1200GT, but for that type of riding the 1600GT would be a closer match I think.

·
Registered
223 Posts
bob_menton said:
Coming from a K12GT rather than an LT, I was underwhelmed by my 1/2 hour test ride. The first disappointment was sitting on the bike, raising it to a vertical position off the sidestand. Heavy - much heavier feel than the K12GT. You might not notice this, coming from the heavier LT. Next, they've changed the position of the rider's footpegs. They're slightly more forward than those on the K12GT. At a stop, the pegs on the K12GT fall just behind my lower leg. On the K16GT, the pegs are right in the middle of my lower leg. I have to stretch out a bit more with my legs to get secure footing. Power-wise, I noticed no difference; you'll note a BIG difference coming from an LT. The engine of the K12GT spins a lot faster at a given road speed, in 6th gear, than does the engine of the K16GT. Perhaps because of this, and the lower weight, I felt that in a high-gear roll-on from 60 mph, the K12GT would be faster than the K16GT. I frequently pass in this manner, so this is a real-world concern for me, not just another statistic comparison. The handlebars are buckhorn-style, like the LT - for me, that makes you sit too straight-up. I much prefer the slight forward lean of bars on the K12GT. And the on-board computer was showing 41.2 mpg - well below the 47 mpg on my K12GT. All in all: disappointing.
I like the K12GT. But the in-line buzz on "All" I've ridden puts my right hand to sleep....and sometimes numbs my feet. My wife thinks I'm much to wussy....... Actually she said I was a big sissy.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Dan, for the throttle off lurching try putting the engine mode in "Road". This gives you full power but does dampen the throttle inputs and is supposed to give a little better fuel economy. When I did my test ride I pulled out of the dealer and was pleased with the power but it was not intoxicating. After a short run down the interstate I wasn't too impressed at all with the power. After a little hunting, I found the ECM mode button and discovered it was in the "Rain" mode. Switched to "Road" and things were much improved. After some time there I switched to "Dynamic" and things got REAL good!! Several motorists were being pestered by two Mustangs playing bumper tag on the freeway and when they got out ahead of me a bit I let the big girl eat and passed them quite hanidly in 6th gear at only 5K. They both looked a bit surprised as they had their a$$es waxed by some geezer on a land barge. Play with the mode button on your next ride and I think you'll really like the "Road" setting. Thanks for the ride report and enjoy your new 1600. :D

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
pushin9s said:
... They both looked a bit surprised as they had their a$$es waxed by some geezer on a land barge. ...
Outstanding.

This is the Post of the Week. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pushin9s said:
Dan, for the throttle off lurching try putting the engine mode in "Road". This gives you full power but does dampen the throttle inputs and is supposed to give a little better fuel economy. When I did my test ride I pulled out of the dealer and was pleased with the power but it was not intoxicating. After a short run down the interstate I wasn't too impressed at all with the power. After a little hunting, I found the ECM mode button and discovered it was in the "Rain" mode. Switched to "Road" and things were much improved. After some time there I switched to "Dynamic" and things got REAL good!! Several motorists were being pestered by two Mustangs playing bumper tag on the freeway and when they got out ahead of me a bit I let the big girl eat and passed them quite hanidly in 6th gear at only 5K. They both looked a bit surprised as they had their a$$es waxed by some geezer on a land barge. Play with the mode button on your next ride and I think you'll really like the "Road" setting. Thanks for the ride report and enjoy your new 1600. :D
Hey thanks Greg and the others for the advise.... I did 100% of the ride in the "RAIN" mode as per the dealers suggestion and forgot to play around with it. I really do hope you are correct, because the lurching at the lower speeds and while decelerating was, in the back of my mind, a deal breaker. I mentioned the lurching to the dealer and they acted like I was the only one!

I do a lot of riding in town and on back roads and just would not be happy with that. I still have more time to play with the bike since I'm # 385 on the delivery lottery..

I checked out the Suburban Machinery web site for a "Peg Lowering" kit for the K1600, but it's not available yet. That really made my K1200LT a lot more comfortable. Hopefully they will have one out soon.

Am I the only one that thinks the sound from the muffler sounds like a cheep Honda Civic low rider muffler can (seem to be a lot of them in Tampa) at the lowest speeds? Once it is moving thought it sounds like a jet engine spooling up. Really sweet.

An old friend from WV just told me his number was 26 !!!! Bet he gets delivery soon.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Something that I noticed from my 2 demo rides. The first at 30 miles and the second at 480. The bike felt better the second time not as much low speed clunking in the trany but not as smooth as the LT yet.
Much of what we are seeing is us being critical and also new newness of the bike.
As far as putting it up on the center stand it is easer than I thought it would be but not as easy as the LT (1 thumb).
The more that I rode it the more comfortable I become. It will take some time to get used to the controls but I will manage.
I do not like BMWs default to OFF on many accessorie items, it is the same on my X3 so I will get used to it.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
bob_menton said:
I tried to NOT comment ... several times ... on Bob's post here, but I just can't help myself. :p

I haven't so much as even sat on the new 1600, but this post above is EXACTLY what I was thinking. Coming from the LT, the 1600 is going to be quite impressive in a lot of categories. But coming off of smaller, faster bikes ... no so much. And, in fact, the 1600 is still a fairly heavy bike. Sure, it's going to handle better than the LT, which was no slouch. But she still has quite a bit of heft on her ... and there's only so much a better COG is going to do for that.

And then there's the pricetag ... :eek: :crazy: But that's for another time. ;)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
DanDiver said:
Hey thanks Greg and the others for the advise.... I did 100% of the ride in the "RAIN" mode as per the dealers suggestion and forgot to play around with it. I really do hope you are correct, because the lurching at the lower speeds and while decelerating was, in the back of my mind, a deal breaker. I mentioned the lurching to the dealer and they acted like I was the only one!
You'll notice intoxicating power out of rain mode. Rain mode limits the engine to just over 100 hp, according to my dealer; just about the same as the LT.

The "lurching" effect (IMO) is because the throttle by wire is very very responsive. I'll be interested in your comments in the other modes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts