BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Morning I Rode through a pretty strong Thunder Storm

I have heard that you dont get too wet but i was shocked ....My Jacket sleeve got a little wet .....
I have a Nolen Helmet.....I lowered the Winsheild down and the wind blow dryed the faceshield....it was kinda fun :) .....i know it is not smart to ride in the rain ...but i wont be so freaked out about the thought of it next time...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nothing wrong with riding in the rain. Just about anytime I have been on a long trip, I always run into rain. Had a Honda Valkyrie and it would handle rain pretty good. Had to ride in the hail / rain once on that one, and that was a booger. But it handled it well. So far, on my LT, I have been lucky. So, it sounds like you don't get too wet on the LT, is that your take on it? Any feeling of hydroplaning?

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
I've found rain accumulates on the seat. Good to have water-resist pants and remove puddle frequently with hand. No hydroplaning that I've ever noticed with the Metz.

Jer

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I think you guys need to live in the UK for a few months. I ride in the rain often, whats the problem? just slow down a little and watch out for the drain covers and white lines. Good tyres work well in the wet.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Absolutely correct! If you don't ride in the rain where I live you don't get too much opportunity to ride! I swear that the collective Departments of Transportation have collaborated to make the white lines out of a material that undergoes a phase change when it gets wet. Seems to change to ice.

Be careful out there guys!

Loren

myk_edwards said:
I think you guys need to live in the UK for a few months. I ride in the rain often, whats the problem? just slow down a little and watch out for the drain covers and white lines. Good tyres work well in the wet.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a wiper with delay and all... what can I say, I an Oregonian.

I get a few laughs but when your passing Semi's on the interstate in a downpour its worth the mod.

·
Registered
676 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Absolutely correct! If you don't ride in the rain where I live you don't get too much opportunity to ride! I swear that the collective Departments of Transportation have collaborated to make the white lines out of a material that undergoes a phase change when it gets wet. Seems to change to ice.

Be careful out there guys!

Loren
Geeze Loren, I thought there was something wrong with my tires, So it is the white line...Rode home from work the other day in the rain, and got on the white line on a curve, and OOOOhh a little butt pucker, and a quick slide sideways with very cool recovery :cool: I will ALWAYS avoid those slippery white snakes from now on!!!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Mike! Must have how to article! A wiper would be the cat's meow!

Loren

BaronVonGregg said:

I get a few laughs but when your passing Semi's on the interstate in a downpour its worth the mod.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'll see what I can come up with... it was awhile ago.

·
Registered
505 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Mike! Must have how to article! A wiper would be the cat's meow!

Loren
How about a roof? and a couple of extra wheels for stability? what about a wheel instead of bars..........oh, hang on a minute........

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
:rotf:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I think you might have sonething there. Kind of like an in-line rickshaw. Got any plans for one?

Seruously though a wiper sounds like an awesome farkle here in rain country!

Loren

simon said:
How about a roof? and a couple of extra wheels for stability? what about a wheel instead of bars..........oh, hang on a minute........

·
Registered
616 Posts
I am new to the LT and the Forum, but have been riding a long time and lurking here for a while.

I try real hard to avoid the rain, but not because I don't feel comfortable handling the bike in the rain (+1 on avoiding paint and tar snakes). It's the other folks on the road that scare me.

My only off happened a few years ago on my morning commute when I began turning into the 2nd half of an S curve in the rain and dark and discovered a pair of headlights right in front of me. A driver coming from the other direction had lost control and was sliding across the road. She ended up going head-on into the guard rail on my side of the road and collected me on the way by.

I was incredibly lucky, as she caught my bike just right to shunt me off to the side; I basically did a nice low side and slid down the road. As I was sliding, all I could think about was getting out of the road before I got run over by the next car. I jumped up, hopped over the guard rail, and other than a couple of bumps and bruises was unscathed (I'm an ATTGATT rider). My bike was a total loss.

Anyway, I gained a real lesson in "trip management". I made a decision that morning to take the fun, curvy road that I usually used instead of the straight one that was actually shorter but boring. I remember thinking about which route to take, and thinking "I'm a good rider...I can handle the rain and I need the practice in the wet". I was right about my end of the deal, but neglected to factor in the other folks and the lack of visibility.

So thanks for hanging with the story...my takeaway from that experience is to remember that riding safety involves a lot of decisions, some of which are made when we're not even on the bike.

I promise...this will be my one and only "preachy" post. :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
wa1200lt said:
I think you might have sonething there. Kind of like an in-line rickshaw. Got any plans for one?

Seruously though a wiper sounds like an awesome farkle here in rain country!

Loren
Too late. BMW has it already covered (pun intended).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JimE said:
I am new to the LT and the Forum, but have been riding a long time and lurking here for a while.

I try real hard to avoid the rain, but not because I don't feel comfortable handling the bike in the rain (+1 on avoiding paint and tar snakes). It's the other folks on the road that scare me.

My only off happened a few years ago on my morning commute when I began turning into the 2nd half of an S curve in the rain and dark and discovered a pair of headlights right in front of me. A driver coming from the other direction had lost control and was sliding across the road. She ended up going head-on into the guard rail on my side of the road and collected me on the way by.

I was incredibly lucky, as she caught my bike just right to shunt me off to the side; I basically did a nice low side and slid down the road. As I was sliding, all I could think about was getting out of the road before I got run over by the next car. I jumped up, hopped over the guard rail, and other than a couple of bumps and bruises was unscathed (I'm an ATTGATT rider). My bike was a total loss.

Anyway, I gained a real lesson in "trip management". I made a decision that morning to take the fun, curvy road that I usually used instead of the straight one that was actually shorter but boring. I remember thinking about which route to take, and thinking "I'm a good rider...I can handle the rain and I need the practice in the wet". I was right about my end of the deal, but neglected to factor in the other folks and the lack of visibility.

So thanks for hanging with the story...my takeaway from that experience is to remember that riding safety involves a lot of decisions, some of which are made when we're not even on the bike.

I promise...this will be my one and only "preachy" post. :)
thanks for for sharing your story and glad your here to share

·
Registered
832 Posts
BaronVonGregg said:

I am still trying to figure out that seat arrangement..........

·
Registered
710 Posts
kk610lt said:
I am still trying to figure out that seat arrangement..........
you noticed that too, eh?
looks like the pillion seat is removed and the top case is moved up against the pilot's seat.
at first I thought I was looking at an MC Escher drawing or something.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
myk_edwards said:

What tyres do you folks find to work better in the rain? I run Metzlers and have had them scare the soup out of me more than once in rain.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I use Plexus to clean my windshield.
I always clean the windshield before I start out, then at every stop.
On a trip in rain, I'll stop every hour or so to refuel, stretch and reapply the Plexus.
Keeps the rain from sheeting on the windshield.
Slowing down and starting up from the stop are when I can get wet,
not during the ride.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have heard people talk about Metzelers with low grip for years but having tried the other options, Dunlop, Bridgestone etc. I have never experienced less traction with the Metzelers than the others. I agree with others regarding paint stripes etc. but never experienced anything that I could attribute to the tires. I have never had them slip when leaned over and scraping on both sides in the dry and I don't ride like that in the rain.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts