BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down to the local BMW dealer for a quote on tires. They quoted a pair of PR3's at $544 tax included for my 2010 RT. Labour quoted at $163.00. I talked to them and now the labour is reduced to $70.00. (If the wheels are off the bike). I am wondering what others in Canada, specifically the Toronto area, usually pay.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Oh, but look what you save in gas!

Kills me when friends make a big deal about the MPG we get on bikes, but when you factor in the cost of tires and how often they are replaced, the savings is next to nothing. Probably cost more per mile...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Brother, buy same tires on-line. Many tire deals now-just google. PR3's (both) for less than $300 US (on par with you now) and some advertise free shipping and no tax (VAT to u). Your dealer price for tire and mounting is outrageous but about what they charge.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Don't forget that's $544 CDN which equals......oh, wait. Never mind. :(
where are those nitro pills?

·
Registered
444 Posts
As it happens I was phoning around for tire prices this morning. Most bike places around here will charge about $40 a tire to install if you do not buy the tire there. It is worthwhile bringing tires up to US Border cities

The best price I found so far was at a place in Clinton, Ont. A bit of a ride for you,
http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php

Quote was installed on rim Z8- $360. plus tax( these are about $307 at the Motorcycle Superstore, so better than bringing them in and having installed). PR3- $441. plus tax. He said I could pull the wheels at his parking lot or he would do it for an additional$35. Was thinking originally on the PR3's but might see about the reviews on the Z8's as there is such a price difference on the PR3's up here.

Owners name was Donald seemed like a nice guy. Maybe if you are interested he might be willing to discount for 2 pairs if we went in together. Or anyone else wanting to get together for a group order.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You think you need to medicate yourself over the cost of tires. Wait till your bike comes off warranty and you have to start paying for service work!!!! Great bikes but owning anything with a blue propeller on it ain't cheap.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to locate PR3's at Dual Sport Plus in Stoney Creek. They had a sale going so I have the pair for $358 + tax + installation. I don't know what they charge to mount the tires. Anyway so far I've saved more than $120.00 just on the tires and tax. They will ship the tires to me for about $25 but I think I will drive down and take a look at their store. I do as much service as I can myself and take the bike into the dealer only if needed. I'll probably get the extended warranty before the three years are up. It's worth the cost to me. I don't mind paying a fair price for service but in this is not a fair price. I don't know what kind of business model they have. But it seems to me $163.00 to mount two tires will not grow their customer base for service. I would like to know if this is the going rate at area BMW dealers or is this only one dealer. A few years ago the motorad manager at this dealership told me BMW stood for Break My Wallet.
@Nick .. I read your post too late. Sorry. I will post next time for anyone wanting to get into a group buy.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,994 Posts
DanDiver said:

Kills me when friends make a big deal about the MPG we get on bikes, but when you factor in the cost of tires and how often they are replaced, the savings is next to nothing. Probably cost more per mile...
When I added up every cost last year I was under 11 cents a mile. If I ever drive a car again for a year I'll keep track of the cost per mile on it too but I'll be surprized if I can match the cost of riding a motorcycle. I use my bike for work quite often & I get reimbursed at 50 cents a mile. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
saddleman said:
When I added up every cost last year I was under 11 cents a mile. If I ever drive a car again for a year I'll keep track of the cost per mile on it too but I'll be surprized if I can match the cost of riding a motorcycle. I use my bike for work quite often & I get reimbursed at 50 cents a mile. :thumb:

Please don't tell my friends...:)

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,994 Posts
DanDiver said:
Please don't tell my friends...:)
Ok, But how about a picture the next time I haul seven sets of rods to the shop from the manufacture on my LT ?.

·
Cat Herder
1,516 Posts
That's $548 US... Got to motorcycle superstore and see if they can ship to Canada cheap... If not get a PO Box in Buffalo NY and ship them there. Drive across the border when you have time.

(the family does it all the time)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
DanDiver said:

Dan...Dan you are leaving out the fun factor...no fair...recalculate.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone ..... Just to finish up. Dual Sport Plus charges $30.00 to mount each tire. Total saving by not going to the dealer is well over $200.00

Dan ... It's not pennies per mile. Its value per smile!
Peter

·
Registered
186 Posts
My local dealer won"t install tires that weren"t purchased at their store.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've never asked but suspect my dealer wont either. The last two pairs of tires I had on my LT were installed by Honda dealers. One near here and the other up north while I was on a trip. Both times they did a good job and at a much lower price than the "Break My Wallet" dealer where I bought the bikes. It's not just tires and service either. $40 + tax for a container of oil for the RT transmission from the dealer and $17 tax included for the exact same thing at the local NAPA store.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am very lucky. My local BMW dealer charges only $20 a tire off the bike.
I bought PR3's last year on line from Motorcycle Superstore for my ST and saved about $120.00 on the tires. The BMW dealer was less expensive to mount and balance than any other place in town. I think they get the customer retention idea.
They will change the oil in my ST for $40.00 parts and labor.
I like working on my bike but the ST is not an easy bike to change oil in. Not to mention the OEM filter was $18.00 alone. By the time i add in the cost of oil I am inclined to let them burn their hands on the exhaust.

·
Registered
114 Posts
barryRT said:
My local dealer won"t install tires that weren"t purchased at their store.
Which dealer would that be OGC?

It is a shame that dealers are happy to never grow because they dont want to do a higher volume at lower price.

Superbike Pete (google) in Vandrieul(sp) Que has about the best prices I have ever found in Canada. "They will ship or you can make appt and ride in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
FWIW, I just picked up a set of Michelin PR3's for my RT from Tri City Cycle in Waterloo (Yamaha dealer). They priced matched an internet quote of $362.82 + tax for the set and included installation and balancing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts