BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit it took me a while to get through the text below, and then I fought with myself for some time if I should post that or not. But in the end I decided it is well worth it. It will take you some time to follow the thoughts and follow where the data leads us (or seems to lead)

Ever heard of an information singularity? Want to know where we (as in human race) are heading? here is an interesting though process. Actually he did WAY more than having an interesting thought process. A far as I can tell he did not make mistakes from what I remember. While there are some facts that may be discussed that does not change the overall and bigger picture.

WARNING: The above linked article may take some time to read AND UNDERSTAND, and may be viewed as heretic from some members. If you fear your faith in Ceiling cat/Allah/Yachwe/Buddha/ whomever could be challenged do NOT read the text linked above.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I'm supposed to be impressed. And what's to fear, but fear itself.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am going to get a fembot to read it to me

andy said:
WARNING: The above linked article may take some time to read AND UNDERSTAND, and may be viewed as heretic from some members. If you fear your faith in Ceiling cat/Allah/Yachwe/Buddha/ whomever could be challenged do NOT read the text linked above.
I think your cat ate your homework!

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KMC1 said:
What the hell is that for Andy? :confused:
Ceiling cat himself told me to put that into my signature.

·
Registered
345 Posts
KMC1 said:
What the hell is that for Andy? :confused:
If he won't tell you, I will. Cat language!
Salāmu= Shalom= Peace

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
That all sounds suspiciously familiar, now where have I heard it before, oh yeah, I remember now.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
andy said:
Ceiling cat himself told me to put that into my signature.
Andy, well....I don't know how to tell you this, but, when I sped up and swerved....well, I had no idea it was your ceiling cat....and now it's sorta under my tires....sorry!

Speaking of pondering....what happened to the asian chick's rack? Sorry....again.
hoog62 said:
Imagine the paradigm shift when the gravitational force is harnessed, at that point everything changes.
So she won't have to worry about anything orbiting her knees! :D

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Imagine the paradigm shift when the gravitational force is harnessed, at that point everything changes.

·
Registered
302 Posts
andy said:
I have to admit it took me a while to get through the text below, and then I fought with myself for some time if I should post that or not. But in the end I decided it is well worth it. It will take you some time to follow the thoughts and follow where the data leads us (or seems to lead)

Ever heard of an information singularity? Want to know where we (as in human race) are heading? here is an interesting though process. Actually he did WAY more than having an interesting thought process. A far as I can tell he did not make mistakes from what I remember. While there are some facts that may be discussed that does not change the overall and bigger picture.
Pretty interesting stuff. It will be interesting to see if the human race achieves the expected level of techno-evolution, or if we go the way of the dinosaurs, committing collective suicide fighting for energy reserves and/or religious/cultural differences.

Thanks for posting this.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, it will be very interesting. Be it that we can harness the power of gravity (which I personally see a little bit farther out the horizon) or archieve the menioned levels of techno expertise .... Either way we are in for some interesting times.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Flawed hypothesis.

Probability of a monkey wrench in the gears of technological growth is infinitely greater than the possibility of continued exponential progress.

We live in a physical world. There is a limit to how fast new stuff can be made and information converted to the foundation for newer stuff -- but that assumes continued growth. Not a likely scenario.

There's nuclear catastrophe , supervolcano, meteor/comet impact, biological threat, collapse of essential resources, on and on just waiting to set mankind back a hundred years or so.

Alton

·
Registered
333 Posts
CycoMoto said:
Probability of a monkey wrench in the gears of technological growth is infinitely greater than the possibility of continued exponential progress.

We live in a physical world. There is a limit to how fast new stuff can be made and information converted to the foundation for newer stuff -- but that assumes continued growth. Not a likely scenario.
Kurzweil is an interesting guy, that's for sure. I've been following this line of reasoning for 20 years or so (since college) and I think there's a lot to it. I'm personally hoping I get to see a lot more advancement!

Re: monkey wrench changes being "infinitely greater" than continued expansion. First, there's no such thing as "infinitely greater", and second if the odds were so high then why hasn't that happened yet? Your statement should have been just as true 1, 10, 100 years ago as it is now, yet we've seen accelerated change year after year.

Re: physical limits. That's another interesting one too. I look at Moore's law a lot (number of transistors over size at same cost doubles every 18 months) and every time someone has predicted the "end of moore's law" some new technology has come along to keep the pace going pretty much just as expected.

But on the flip side, human life expectancy hasn't continued to increase, and in the last few years has actually started to decline a bit. So maybe there is a knee in the curve.

And there's always the counter argument for crazies -- our power to change the world keeps increasing, but once it hits the point where any single person has the power to wipe out all life on the planet, it's pretty much game over.

Regardless, the next few decades should be really, really interesting. My (safe) prediction: watch for biotech changing the way we live as much or more than information has in the last 20 years. We've already started building living organisms from scratch - how cool is that?!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts