BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry Chrismas to all.

Santa delivered a GoPro camera so where would be the best placement for the camera on the LT? Mounting solutions?

·
Premium Member
7,828 Posts
Brett,

Congratulations on the new LT-cam.

At SMFR (Oct. 2012) Dan Finazzo showed me what I think is a great place to mount it - on the front of the LT, on the bodywork beneath the windscreen just below the cutout. Use one of the permanent mounts (not the suction cup). He showed us several video clips he had taken that way; they worked out very nicely.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Nice got my contour camera mounted on my BMR shelf. Only problem with that is the camera shows the bug splatter on the windshield. I also picked up a holder that fits in the unused mirror hole, I may try to see if I can position outside the windshield envelope but then I imagine the lens will get dirty. Love taking short movies, I got some of the California Redwoods. Good luck with it. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
hschisler said:
Brett,
At SMFR (Oct. 2012) Dan Finazzo showed me what I think is a great place to mount it - on the front of the LT, on the bodywork beneath the windscreen just below the cutout. .
I have one mounted there too. It works fine, but I've found that videos that show, or partially show, a speedometer and/or tachometer, are more fun to watch. Even capturing a moving wheel in the video is kind'a cool. Hard to do on the LT though. Maybe down on top of the tip-over wing?
If you can, mount one on the rear also. You can get fun videos of your buddies following you. Otherwise, all you get are shots of their "better sides".

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
fpmlt said:
If you can, mount one on the rear also. You can get fun videos of your buddies following you. ".
Hey, this is Bret we're talking about! Maybe you meant to say "videos of all your buddies passing you!!:histerica Merry Christmas Bret

·
Registered
73 Posts
I put one mount on the front fairing just outside the windscreen and one on top of the trunk looking AFT.

Funny to see people getting closer and closer till they figure out it's a camera,,,, then you have all sorts of room behind you!!!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Lynn_Keen said:
Maybe you meant to say "videos of all your buddies passing you!!:histerica Merry Christmas Bret
Lynn, you read my mind!!! :histerica

Merry Christmas Brett! :wave

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Merry Christmas to a bunch of wise-guys ! :histerica

The mounting device, I was not sure about the suction cup but everyone says it works, but suction cups would not be my choice; if I were to mount the camera below the wings, what would work?

I agree with all of the comments of where to mount, especially below the tip over wings. I remember seeing Dan's camera at Ironhorse; oh and to my good buddies Lynn and Joe, the AFT placement would be priceless as I could see the look on Joe's face as I blow by him! :histerica

Y'all have a Merry Christmas. :bmw:

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have one mount on the mirror arm of the GTL. Disadvantage to that is it picks up noise of the plastic mirror arm while riding, otherwise a great place because I can reach the record button easily while riding.
Another mount is attached to my helmet. Can get some great shots from that perspective.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I don't know specifically with the LT buty I tried all kinds of places on my '09 RT and you get great results from many spots, including - side plastic facing forward, front around lower windscreen, rear trunk facing backwards to shoot friends riding, on left pannier, which gives an interesting perspective as well.Just have some fun with it.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Lynn_Keen said:
Hey, this is Bret we're talking about! Maybe you meant to say "videos of all your buddies passing you!!:histerica Merry Christmas Bret

I do believe that the gauntlet has been thrown down!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,828 Posts
Be careful with the suction cup mount, Brett. Every time I've used it, it failed. I tried inside and outside of the windscreen (probably too many curves) and on the gauge cluster itself, which has a perfectly flat surface. There may be tips/tricks to making it work, like wetting the suction cup before using it.

If you haven't already opened the packaging consider returning it for the new model, out just a few weeks ago. It includes the remote controller and wireless operation capability; this is just what I wanted - to be able to take snapshots as I'm going down the road. You can do that with the Hero2 but you have to buy the wireless controller combo.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have mounted my HeroHD in two places....first was on the BMR shelf. It mounted easily with the regular sticky mounts but I really didn't care for that position as the view through the windshield is too distorted with glare and reflections.

Position 2, mounted using Delkin Fat Gecko Mini....here ....under the winglet on left side of fairing. So far, this has been my preferred mounting location. I do use a tether cinched around the winglet base. Sample video here

If the OP has the HERO2 or 3, purchasing the wi-fi bac pac is a helpful tool. Once set up, you can see your camera's view plus use several other functions using your smartphone or Ipod touch. For my HeroHD, I can only use the remote control with the wi-fi bacpac kit for power and shutter...no live view in I-touch.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Do a search on youtube for GoPro & Motorcycle, to bring up clips other people have shot, and check what sort of angles and views you see. There's also some links in the "photography" forum to people's ride videos. That might help you decide what sort of shots you want to take.

I run my Hero2 on the BMR shelf every time I commute, in narrow view... use it as a crash-cam that way so if anything happens it's the closest to a 1:1 view (non-wide-angle) that you can get.
Mounted in the front fairing just below the windshield is about the cleanest video you'll get, wind noise is high even through the fully waterproof mounting. I've got 2 x HD Hero's that I can occassionally mount also, but I find a lot of the mounting points have too much vibration to be very useful.
You can stick the various mounting points on the paintwork and get them off later if you don't want it there anymore... but you really want a solid/stiff panel to mount to.

You need to find a spot that minimises vibrations... vibrations kill the ability to watch the video later without feeling sick trying to watch it..

Here's a mates youtube channel with lots of clips from various positions on the bike (F800GS mainly), plus a chest mount that works pretty well.

Have fun...

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies; I have a few ideas but this is not one of them! :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
fpmlt said:
I do believe that the gauntlet has been thrown down!!!!
There ain't no gauntlet. Brett is a really fast rider. He must be. I have to downshift just to pass him. :cool:

·
Registered
847 Posts
I know most people would not recomend suction cups to hang a video camera on;but I just run across a site (www.stickypod.com) .I was pretty impressed,I think am going to order just the two single cups;put a handle bar size across the two of them ;then put the handle bar mount that came with the camera and mount that on bar.
I thinking I can hang the camera any where I want ;;MAYBE :dance:

Go ahead;; let me have it;I can handle it.

Gary
2003 LT1200

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
messenger13_ver2 said:
There ain't no gauntlet. Brett is a really fast rider. He must be. I have to downshift just to pass him. :cool:
:histerica :D

Your ******* friend has slowed down SOME since last year as I am trying to avoid speeding tickets! :bmw:

Uhhh, enjoy your cold snowy weather Yankee boy! :D

·
Registered
698 Posts
GaryEm said:
I know most people would not recomend suction cups to hang a video camera on;but I just run across a site (www.stickypod.com) .I was pretty impressed,I think am going to order just the two single cups;put a handle bar size across the two of them ;then put the handle bar mount that came with the camera and mount that on bar.

Gary
2003 LT1200
The Delkin Fat Gecko Mini, which is a single cup, works fine on many of the LT's surfaces. But I ALWAYS use a tether just in case. I also have removed its three inch extension, which has helped reduce any vibration.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
Brett can hold his own in the switch backs despite being able to just see over the instrument panel. :rolleyes: :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts