BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Returning from road trips I end up with scads of pictures of the campsite, the fuel stops, my bike, my buddy, his bike, etc., and relatively few shots of the of the road. And for obvious reasons. Often, on some of the most beautiful roads, there is either no possible way to pull over, or you'd be stopping every 10 miles! The Needles highway through the Black Hills is a great example that immediately comes to mind. Try to describe the breathtaking beauty of that road with no photos.

After a bit of research, I purchased a GoPRo HD Motorsport Hero camera. http://www.goprocamera.com/

This tiny camera takes true HD video and 5 megapixel stills with three modes, single shot, triplets, or automatic shots in 2, 5, 10, 30, or 60 sec intervals. You can also shoot either 127 or 170 degree wide angle video that looks awesome! It also shoot in either 30 and 60 fps. Check out their web site; if you are unfamiliar with the camera, the quality of the video will blow you away.

The GoPRo comes with a number of mounting options, I also purchased the suction mount and tripod mount. The suction mount is professional grade and really sticks! I mounted mine on my 2010 RT on the left handle bar using a RAM mounting system. I had to reduce the width of the aluminum bar mount on the grinding wheel to get it to fit, but it works great and with a 6" adapter you can get a great view of the road.

I took a test video yesterday and posted it. I'm new to video editing, in fact I used Youtube and my iMovie instruction manual! I'm am pretty pleased with the first attempt at shooting and editing and can see how this could become addictive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqkkKI44Avo

Lawrence

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Nice demo, and thanks for posting. This is on my list for the '11 riding season. And I liked the video editing where it looked like you were getting teleported to another place. :D

On a side note, slow down in your neighborhood. 'Nuff said.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Cool! It was especially neat to see roads I'm familiar with, including what looked like the intersection at Stull after riding around the back side of Clinton Lake.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flash62 said:
Cool! It was especially neat to see roads I'm familiar with, including what looked like the intersection at Stull after riding around the back side of Clinton Lake.
You pegged it! Even though that ride is right in my backyard, so to say, I still love DG County road 458 around Clinton Lake

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
messenger13_ver2 said:
Nice demo, and thanks for posting. This is on my list for the '11 riding season. And I liked the video editing where it looked like you were getting teleported to another place. :D

On a side note, slow down in your neighborhood. 'Nuff said.
Thanks Joe! My wife said the same thing when she saw the video of me riding into the neighborhood!
The wide angle lens makes it look faster than it really is, but I have to confess, I was a tad faster than I normally do and perhaps should have been.

Lawrence

·
Registered
545 Posts
Lawrence! Waaaaaayyyy cool. Had a smile the whole time watching this. Those who aren't in the tribe might not have a full appreciation of this - and with our temps, most of my appreciation is gonna be vicarious in the next few months.

Way cool.

Best, John

·
Registered
80 Posts
Lawrence_D said:
You pegged it! Even though that ride is right in my backyard, so to say, I still love DG County road 458 around Clinton Lake
I've been on that section of road more often on my bicycle than anything else.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trojan said:
Lawrence! Waaaaaayyyy cool. Had a smile the whole time watching this. Those who aren't in the tribe might not have a full appreciation of this - and with our temps, most of my appreciation is gonna be vicarious in the next few months.

Way cool.

Best, John
Hey John, I'm still hoping for a bit more riding before winter sets in way down south here in KS! But come January, all I'll have will be the videos until March!

This Spring we should make a point of actually meeting and do some riding together!
Lawrence

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
We had our Upstate SC BMW Motorcycle Club ("Conebutts") Christmas party last night at the Zentrum, the museum at the BMW plant in Greer, SC. And I won the Grand Prize: a GoPRo HD Motorsport Hero camera! Woo hoo! Can't wait to play with it. Nice to hear good comments about it in this thread.

- Bob

·
Registered
545 Posts
Lawrence_D said:
Hey John, I'm still hoping for a bit more riding before winter sets in way down south here in KS! But come January, all I'll have will be the videos until March!

This Spring we should make a point of actually meeting and do some riding together!
Lawrence

I'd enjoy a crossing of the paths, and a little longer ride someday. I'll confess so far it's been mostly things like trips to the Kalona Cheese factory from Iowa City, about a 15 mile ride. Let's see.... took delivery last December, roads clear around April, have around 4500 miles or so. Must eat a lot of cheese here. And as quick as these bikes are, you'd think I'd be able to manage that trip in under two or three hours roundtrip, but it often seems to take that long. Probably oughta have my displacement checked, or rotate the tire air. Yeah. That's prolly it. :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bob_menton said:
We had our Upstate SC BMW Motorcycle Club ("Conebutts") Christmas party last night at the Zentrum, the museum at the BMW plant in Greer, SC. And I won the Grand Prize: a GoPRo HD Motorsport Hero camera! Woo hoo! Can't wait to play with it. Nice to hear good comments about it in this thread.

- Bob
Bob,
AWESOME! You are going to love it! Their web site is also amazing!! Check it out if you haven't already.

Lawrence

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I am sure you can do more the 4500 a year riding in Iowa. :)

Trojan said:
I'd enjoy a crossing of the paths, and a little longer ride someday. I'll confess so far it's been mostly things like trips to the Kalona Cheese factory from Iowa City, about a 15 mile ride. Let's see.... took delivery last December, roads clear around April, have around 4500 miles or so. Must eat a lot of cheese here. And as quick as these bikes are, you'd think I'd be able to manage that trip in under two or three hours roundtrip, but it often seems to take that long. Probably oughta have my displacement checked, or rotate the tire air. Yeah. That's prolly it. :D

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ponch said:
I am sure you can do more the 4500 a year riding in Iowa. :)
Hi Ponch. I'm sure looking forward to more in the future, but in the meantime I'm lucky to get out as much as I do. When time permits, I just enjoy getting on the bike when I get home and going for a spin for a couple hours. Mighty good malt shop over in North English....

So, when I see Lawrence's video, well.... :) And you might recall Ellie put one of those up a while back. That just looks way fun.

Best, John

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Excellent video indeed, Lawrence.

I/Movie is a good video editor as well.

I have used the Go Pro - but now have changed it out to the new Oregon Scientific ATC9K in HD.

HD helmet cam video

Be careful - mobile video tends to become somewhat addictive! :rotf:

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nil_Time said:
Excellent video indeed, Lawrence.

I/Movie is a good video editor as well.

I have used the Go Pro - but now have changed it out to the new Oregon Scientific ATC9K in HD.

HD helmet cam video

Be careful - mobile video tends to become somewhat addictive! :rotf:

Cheers
Tony
Thanks Tony! I like your video! AND, I know what you mean about adictive; I'm already planning my next filming ride.

Cheers mate!

Lawrence

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Lawrence,

I love the video! Thanks for posting. One question, how did you mount it? I would love a picture of your system

Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rick,

Thanks! I mounted it using a RAM handle bar mount like this one:

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045050051049085/Default.aspx

You'll also need a camera base:

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045050048050065085/Default.aspx

And, and adapter: UNPKD RAM DOUBLE SOCKET ARM FOR 1" BALL
Product Number:RAM-B-201U

The bar mount doesn't really fit on the 2010 RT, but the handle bar base mount that they list for the 2010 was not to my liking at all. So, I ground down the width of the mount base to fit the space available on my left bar side.

I'll take some photo and post them. I like the RAM system. If you have a pre-2010 RT there is a mount that bolts to the top of the clutch fluid reservoir.

You can also use some of the available GoPro sticky mounts or suction mount which can be mounted on any number of sites like luggage, windscreen, body panels, etc.

I personally like the cockpit view; it gives you the feel of riding.

Lawrence

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lawrence_D said:
Returning from road trips I end up with scads of pictures of the campsite, the fuel stops, my bike, my buddy, his bike, etc., and relatively few shots of the of the road. And for obvious reasons. Often, on some of the most beautiful roads, there is either no possible way to pull over, or you'd be stopping every 10 miles! The Needles highway through the Black Hills is a great example that immediately comes to mind. Try to describe the breathtaking beauty of that road with no photos.

After a bit of research, I purchased a GoPRo HD Motorsport Hero camera. http://www.goprocamera.com/

This tiny camera takes true HD video and 5 megapixel stills with three modes, single shot, triplets, or automatic shots in 2, 5, 10, 30, or 60 sec intervals. You can also shoot either 127 or 170 degree wide angle video that looks awesome! It also shoot in either 30 and 60 fps. Check out their web site; if you are unfamiliar with the camera, the quality of the video will blow you away.

The GoPRo comes with a number of mounting options, I also purchased the suction mount and tripod mount. The suction mount is professional grade and really sticks! I mounted mine on my 2010 RT on the left handle bar using a RAM mounting system. I had to reduce the width of the aluminum bar mount on the grinding wheel to get it to fit, but it works great and with a 6" adapter you can get a great view of the road.

I took a test video yesterday and posted it. I'm new to video editing, in fact I used Youtube and my iMovie instruction manual! I'm am pretty pleased with the first attempt at shooting and editing and can see how this could become addictive!

Lawrence

Thanks for posting. I am in the market for a pre-owned R1200RT and watching your video reminds me of the test ride, sound, and feel of the R1200RT I test rode at the local dealerships--wow i can't wait to get my own RT one of these days.

DC

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DC,

You're going to love it when you get it! It's a real "bike lovers" bike! You are so connected to the bike and the road. I flirt with "second" bikes all the time but when I think about that I always end up with... "why bother?"

Good luck in your pursuit!

Lawrence

·
Registered
543 Posts
Lawrence_D said:

Lawrence
Your video looks great.
I'm amazed at the quality. It's a deceiving little camera. It feels so cheap when you take it out of the housing but it works great.
I attached mine to the back of a friend's bike to capture me riding but I didn't secure it properly. The camera fell off at speed. The housing exploded into a bunch of pieces but the camera is still intact and works fine. I need to buy a new housing though.
doh!!!
Ellie

1 - 20 of 61 Posts