BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Washington State Patrol has dumped BMW RT-P for the Honda ST1300. With limited repair facilities, excessive expenses related to their use, BMW's are gone and the Honda is in. I could see this coming and have to agree with them. It is only a tool for those folks and economy is important. I think the 4 cylinder engine smoothness is part of it also. If you ever looked at the price list for various authority parts you would have a heart attack.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
They did the same here in Myrtle Beach a couple of years ago and the officers say they miss the BMW brakes but love the Honda's power band.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The only shock to me is that they didn't go with the Connie. ;)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Isaaquah did the same thing.

I believe the main reason at least in Issaquah's case is the dry clutch.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Too fugly

messenger13_ver2 said:

·
Registered
635 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:

I have heard some police agencies shying away from the Connie, because of heat issues (for the rider from the engine) and lower fuel mpg than other choices.

·
Registered
327 Posts
They have just dumped them here in my part of OZ too.
They have gone with the FJR and Im told they will be putting on some ST1300's as well.
Issues for them was relaibility and servicing and also the dry clutch.
The cooling system was also a problem for being able to leave the engine running to keep charging while the lights and radio's were in action at the scene of an incident.
We only have one dealer in a city of around 2 million people and the agreement with BMW included them having to have them serviced by the dealer even though the police have their own workshops and mechanics.
Given the distances that they travel daily servicing needs were frequent and they generally need 3 weeks notice at a minimum at this dealer. By then the police were on their way to the next service.
All of the cops that Ive spoken to had said "if they had only given us K Bikes"
Too late!

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
Too many shady characters have been seen on the new Connie. Most PDs don't want the negative publicity associated with those guys. :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
hschisler said:
Too many shady characters have been seen on the new Connie. Most PDs don't want the negative publicity associated with those guys. :D
Guilty as charged, officer. Here, take mine for a ride... :bike:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Strange

Here in UK, the opposite is happening. The ST1300 is being dumped in favour of the RT's. Because of the dangerous weave in the ST1300 in high speeds.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know, I have heard about that weave also. This will be interesting. Especially if there is an incident.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
King County went with the ST1300 over a year ago and the motor officers tell me that they throw off a lot of heat to the rider and are heavier than the RT-P's were. Most like the power and smoothness but miss the braking of the RT-P.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In my part of Oregon, all of the PDs used to ride the KZ1000P. Then, the State Police went with the RTP, as soon as they came out. Everybody else was still on the Kawasaki. Then, Harley-Davidson came up with that sweetheart lease/service deal that none of the bean counters in the city and county departments could refuse, so they all switched to the FXRP (except for the State Police). Then, Harley changed the lease deal, Kawasaki announced that they were dropping the KZ1000P and all the risk managers overruled the bean counters, citing the safety of ABS on the BMW.
Now, everybody is on the RTP.
For now.
There's a similar story regarding Smith and Wesson, Sig and Glock that almost plays out the same way. Apparently cops are a fickle bunch when it comes to their equipment.

Having the best tool for the job is important, especially when your life depends on it. If there's a better bike for the job, I think they deserve it.

"John Wintergreen: I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you there ain't nothing in the world I hate worse than that elephant under my ass." --from Electra Glide in Blue 1973

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Gizmo1137 said:
I have heard some police agencies shying away from the Connie, because of heat issues (for the rider from the engine) and lower fuel mpg than other choices.
The 2010 model solved the heat issues. Mine is cool as a cucumber. And the C14 gets about the same mileage as the RT and ST, if not better. Unlike BMW and Honda, Kawasaki tends to listen to its customer base. :)

hschisler said:
Now that's a statement that's tough to argue against. ;) :cool: :bike:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
As far as everything I'm hearing from the guys in harness, in the Western states it's a two-dog fight between the RTP and the Kawasaki (HD is an also-ran). Neither motor has a clear advantage overall, but Kaw seriously shot themselves in the foot by getting out of the copcycle business in 2005.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
The 2010 model solved the heat issues. Mine is cool as a cucumber. And the C14 gets about the same mileage as the RT and ST, if not better. Unlike BMW and Honda, Kawasaki tends to listen to its customer base. :)

Now that's a statement that's tough to argue against. ;) :cool: :bike:
As far as Kawasaki listening to it's base, I have to disagree, having owned 4 of them, the last a 2007 Nomad. A lot of us at the KawaNOW group were surprised with the Voyager as Kawasaki sure didn't ask or listen to us before or after it came out. It's a HD ripoff...And they surely didn't fix cam chain extenders and clutch spring issues on the 1500/1600...I didn't get the C14 because the ergos were too compact. With risers and footpeg lowers it is about what the RT is stock, which for me, had to be changed. Otherwise it's a nice bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts