BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really P.O'd about the fuel connectors failure. I filed a complaint with NHTSA as well as others have. When the connector fails (even though it has never been touched in any maintenance procedure) and spews raw gasoline for ten ten feet if the tupperware is off, that is a big frigging issue. I haven't heard squat about it since.

Reid

·
Registered
681 Posts
Here is my 2¢. RANT! :soapbox:
Regardless of the severity of the problem or how many thousands of owners call about any certain issue it is the first time they ever heard of it. Even if you called BMW everyday at the same time and spoke to the same person, you are treated as its the first time they heard of it and you never called before regardless of documentation and your need for blood pressure meds.
Dont get me wrong, I love their products... when they work. I HATE their arrogance and bewilderment when they dont! :mad:
Thank God above they dont make Titanics. Could you imagine how many lives would be lost and how many boats would be stacked up on the bottom of the Atlantic? They would set sail and as soon as it was in international water it would head straight for the bottom! Then in their arrogance they would claim "Impossible! That ship was designed to never sink or have failure in its components! We are not responsible! It must be that the operator used the wrong water to float it in! Our pride swollen engineers only design flawless products that work and component failure is an utter and absolute impossibility! Besides, this is the first time we ever heard of such a ridiculous claim! If you have a problem take it back to the dealer!!".

We all truly feel your pain!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Geez!

BTW you forgot to say "rant off" :yeah:

Loren

14wntr said:
Here is my 2¢. RANT! :soapbox:
Regardless of the severity of the problem or how many thousands of owners call about any certain issue it is the first time they ever heard of it. Even if you called BMW everyday at the same time and spoke to the same person, you are treated as its the first time they heard of it and you never called before regardless of documentation and your need for blood pressure meds.
Dont get me wrong, I love their products... when they work. I HATE their arrogance and bewilderment when they dont! :mad:
Thank God above they dont make Titanics. Could you imagine how many lives would be lost and how many boats would be stacked up on the bottom of the Atlantic? They would set sail and as soon as it was in international water it would head straight for the bottom! Then in their arrogance they would claim "Impossible! That ship was designed to never sink or have failure in its components! We are not responsible! It must be that the operator used the wrong water to float it in! Our pride swollen engineers only design flawless products that work and component failure is an utter and absolute impossibility! Besides, this is the first time we ever heard of such a ridiculous claim! If you have a problem take it back to the dealer!!".

We all truly feel your pain!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,061 Posts
Reid said:
(even though it has never been touched in any maintenance procedure)
Reid
So you are saying that your fuel tank has never been off the bike and the QD's have never been undone? You must have less than 12K on the bike.

Improper removal (not pulling straight out when disconnecting, hard to do due to hose length) is what stresses the male fitting causing it to eventually fail.

·
Premium Member
7,837 Posts
Reid said:
I'm really P.O'd about the fuel connectors failure. I filed a complaint with NHTSA as well as others have. When the connector fails (even though it has never been touched in any maintenance procedure) and spews raw gasoline for ten ten feet if the tupperware is off, that is a big frigging issue. I haven't heard squat about it since.

Reid
I agree that BMW was simply negligent in using plastic fittings to handle gasoline. However, this stupidity is well documented on this site so I replaced mine early on with the very nice units from RPW. It was an easy fix and I have no worries now.

Yes, one should not have to make upgrades such as this on a $20K bike. However, as was said many years ago, it is usually better to light a candle rather than curse the darkness! Just don't light the candle near a BMW with plastic fuel line fittings! :kaboom:

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,068 Posts
Reid said:

Reid
Mine broke the second week I owned my LT on my way home from my first trip. It drained the tank & I got lucky in that I coasted to a gas station. I filled it up & rode to a auto parts store where I figured out what had happened & spliced it together with a 5/16 fuel filter. I lost maybe two hours & just chalked it up to a learning experience. It didn't bother me one bit. It's just part of normal transportation problems. Maybe you should ride a horse. But then again I'm sure some can find something to complain about them too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.