BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Good Price for a 2005 K1200LT

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  NORSHUD 
#1 ·
What would a good buy be for a 2005 K1200LT with 23K miles on it? What prices have some of you seen for this year bike. I am trying to get a good value to pay. Seller is at 10K on the price. I always try to buy items at a bargain price. I did see a bike listed in CA with 19K miles on it for $9k. Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
I think $10K sounds like a fairly reasonable price for a bike that has maintenance records and things like a fresh battery and tires at that mileage. You might be able to chisel him down a bit so that your total price would be $10K if fully you need to invest in any of those things. I probably would not pay more than $10K between my purchase price and investments for an '05.

About a year ago I reluctantly passed up on an '05 that the seller would have let go for $8k, it was pristine and had ~35K miles on it, I have kicked myself ever since :crybaby: I really wish I would have jumped on it because I haven't seen anything that cheap since, stupid, stupid stupid...

#3 ·
Payed last Year in September 11,5 k for my 05 with 18k mi on the clock.
But must say in top condition including all the things you buy on top as, Cover, Charger, Light Covers, new Tires, Helmet looks, Cup Holder and more.
I know I could have try to get it more down but I think you should be fair, if it is worth it you can pay it.

Manfred

#4 ·
All things being equal, big ticket options could move the price 1 or 2K easily. I'm thinking primarily of navigation and communication.

#5 ·
I gave $8K last year for mine with 15,000 miles it. I thought that was a bargain. 10K is probably book for it. You might talk him down a little........... :D

#6 ·
I paid $10,300 for my '05 in September 2011, and that was buying from a BMW dealer. It had 26K miles on it and was well equipped, had good tires and was spotless. I was satisfied to pay what was a few hundred bucks below NADA value at the time. That isn't the best deal I ever heard of, but my conscience was clear.

Based on that experience, I would expect to pay less now, one year later.

#7 ·
NORSHUD said:
I always try to buy items at a bargain price.
We all probably try to do just that, and it is easy getting carried away in trying to negotiate the very best price and in that process perhaps taking advantage of a seller that is selling because of personal hardship or some other predicament. I have bought several motorcycles and other vehicles from private buyers, but I've also sold most of those over the years and then had to deal with people that were opportunistic in trying to capitalize on my situation. I fully understand the principle of willing-buyer-willing-seller, but rather than looking for that bargain price, we should start out by considering a fair price. Treat the seller fairly and he will be much more amicable in negotiating a fair deal. Remember the old saying "do unto others ....." because the day will come when you would want to sell that motorcycle.

I hope you find your LT and that you and the seller are left feeling satisfied.

#8 ·
Getting it's full service & issues history would be very valuable, including "self service" and that of prior owner(s) if any. If this is not available, it's risk you take that care wasn't given.
I just (7/2012) paid $7300 for a 2002 with 17k miles with complete 2 owner records - probably fair market. Knowing it's service history is a real plus! If options/accessories are included, some are very worthwhile and expensive if you were to buy them (e.g. Seat, shocks). Compare owners height with yours if any adjustments were made to seat height. Happy riding!

#9 ·
I visited Euro Cycles of Tampa Bay today, they are a forum sponsor, and a pleasant ride from my house. They had a very nice 2005 which was pretty near spotless for under ten grand. It should be on their website inventory list if you are curious...
I have no affiliation with them, but my friend has bought a couple of bikes from them.
I hope you find the bike you're looking for. Happy hunting.

Perry

#10 ·
Thanks everyone, I have been out all day looking at bikes. I am choosing between 3. New or used GL1800, K1200LT (mainly the one I referenced) and a new Kawasaki Voyager. I have always rode bikes with a foot forward position like cruisers. The last 1.5 years has been on a 2009 Suzuki Burgman Executive which I plan to keep for commuting. I have sat on the GL and K bikes and the leg position, I think, will give me problems. My legs cramp in this position even though I am only 47 years old (rode hard and put up wet, I guess). I am kind of leaning toward the Voyager. Nice bike and value for what you get for $14.8 new out the door with a 3 year warranty. I have followed this forum for years learning all I could about the K1200lt but I really don't want to make a $10 grand mistake. I plan on keeping this bike for a long while. I am looking for 2 up comfort for my wife. We have done 300+ day rides on the Burgman and it carries my 200 plus her 155 pound weight just fine and is fun in the twisties. The suspension is hard on you for that ride and the seat is and I would like a radio for road trips. I still long for a K1200 and I even have not let the "trio" scare me off (final drive, ABS computer or clutch) even though the bike I am looking at just had a clutch replaced from a leaking seal at only 22K miles. The owner I have had emails with really seams like a straight up guy but he has been out of town for me to even sit on the bike. I hate to ask a Kawasaki Voyager question on a K1200 site but do any of you know of a reason to stay away from that bike other than it being a cruiser/tourer based bike? Again a K1200 won't do me any good if my legs won't let me ride it. Thanks again everyone and ride safe.

#11 ·
NORSHUD said:
Thanks everyone, I have been out all day looking at bikes. I am choosing between 3. New or used GL1800, K1200LT (mainly the one I referenced) and a new Kawasaki Voyager. I have always rode bikes with a foot forward position like cruisers. The last 1.5 years has been on a 2009 Suzuki Burgman Executive which I plan to keep for commuting. I have sat on the GL and K bikes and the leg position, I think, will give me problems. My legs cramp in this position even though I am only 47 years old (rode hard and put up wet, I guess). I am kind of leaning toward the Voyager. Nice bike and value for what you get for $14.8 new out the door with a 3 year warranty. I have followed this forum for years learning all I could about the K1200lt but I really don't want to make a $10 grand mistake. I plan on keeping this bike for a long while. I am looking for 2 up comfort for my wife. We have done 300+ day rides on the Burgman and it carries my 200 plus her 155 pound weight just fine and is fun in the twisties. The suspension is hard on you for that ride and the seat is and I would like a radio for road trips. I still long for a K1200 and I even have not let the "trio" scare me off (final drive, ABS computer or clutch) even though the bike I am looking at just had a clutch replaced from a leaking seal at only 22K miles. The owner I have had emails with really seams like a straight up guy but he has been out of town for me to even sit on the bike. I hate to ask a Kawasaki Voyager question on a K1200 site but do any of you know of a reason to stay away from that bike other than it being a cruiser/tourer based bike? Again a K1200 won't do me any good if my legs won't let me ride it. Thanks again everyone and ride safe.
The best place to ask Voyager questions is probably here: http://www.amervoyassoc.org/forum/

Unfortunately, you have to be an AVA member to see the full list of forums. Since I dropped my membership after selling my Voyager XII, I no longer have access to the brand-specific forums.

The three bikes you mention are rather different. I would suggest you spend some time thinking about what you really want before deciding.

If you want a cushy Cadillac, then the Wing is probably your choice.

If you want performance and technology with a good dose of luxury (BMW 7 series, Mercedes, etc.), then the LT is your choice.

If you want appearance and nostalgia, then the Vulcan Voyager is your choice.

I left the Kawasaki fold as I wanted a bike with modern technology, smooth and quiet engine, more performance than my Voyager, etc. The "new" Vulcan Voyager is a cruiser with bags and trunk and just isn't my cup of tea. If I wanted a piece of motorcycle history, I'd buy the real thing (H-D) and not a copy.

While I was still an AVA member and still hoping that Kawasaki would come out with a true successor to the Voyager XII, possibly based on the Concours 14 drive train, most of the reports from those moving from the XII to the VV commented on these shortcomings:

1. More heat from the engine
2. More noise
3. Less comfort for the passenger (comments that the trunk vibrated against the pillion's back)
4. Much poorer fuel economy (48 MPG on the 1200 down to 40 on the 1700)
5. Whine from the belt drive
6. Engine that stalled for no apparent reason at stop lights. I believe they had a TSB or maybe even a recall on this that required a mod to the ECU, but I saw reports that even the modded bikes often still stalled.

This information is a few years old now, so maybe these issues have been addressed. I do recall reading that a heat shield kit had been installed on later models and was available for sale for earlier models.

I would suggest checking out the AVA web site and making a post or two and see if one of the current VV owners will respond. I also recall seeing a road test not too long ago on the VV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.