BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Good news is that after advertising my RT for about a month it is SOLD
The BAD news is that my bike sold
For those of you that know me I'm sure you understand that selling the bike only happened after a long and difficult process leading to that decision. At the ripe old age of 80 and after over 55 years of continuous motorcycle ownership, roughly 500,000 miles on two wheels and visiting 49 states my age related issues ultimately dictated that for my own preservation is was time to hang up the helmet. The legs and knees just were no longer capable of safely handling the weight of the RT and backing up while seated was a painful exercise.
My experiences and memories have been incredible and having been a member of this Forum since 1990 when the K1200LT was introduced the folks that I have meet over the years, many of whom have become good friends are priceless. I have not ruled out the possibility of another bike in my future, perhaps a scooter or maybe another sidecar rig, but I plan to take some time and allow the withdrawal symptoms to subside.
So, I plan to hang around these parts for now and if all is well, hopefully make it to one of the future Iron Horse gatherings in the comfort of my 335I convertible.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Sorry for your loss, but at the not so rip old age of 74, I'm dealing with less and less time on the bike due to some health issues - I get what you're dealing with. I'm now down to two RT's, well, one and a half because my boy took my 07 to his house after a ride and I haven't seen it since.

Stick around here and let us know what you decided on.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Have never met you Lynn but you sound like a good guy. Sorry about all those years piling up on you. One thing I find surprising is how many guys choose to give up riding for age-related issues when those issues would NOT stop them from riding a sidecar rig. Go to a typical sidecar rally and you'll be wondering how many retirement homes are missing some guests!

I have three sidecar rigs and I love them all. Click on my avatar then click on "media" to see pics of my K1200LT rig. A possibility for you? Just food for thought.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LT rig looks great. Although I am familure with the LT, owned two of them totalling about 180,000 miles and am unfortunately aware of the rear drive issues with them. I would worry about the additional stress with the sidecar. I am however familiar with sidecars and that's why they're included in my possible biking future. My first one was a Goldwing Champion car combination. Put many miles on that one with the wife in the chair and pulling a cargo trailer full of camping gear. My second one was a K100/EML sidecar. I picked that up after the wife quit riding with me hoping to get her back to riding. That didn't work so I sold it after about a year. Now very sorry I didn't keep it. That combination was the best handling rig that I ever rode. My over all experience includes working as Rider Coach in the Florida rider training and licensing program. That included a three wheel program that taught trikes and sidecar training. Only time will tell what my future holds.

·
Registered
2019 BMW R1250RT
79 Posts
Lynn,
Sorry for your "Bad" News.... At the ripe old age of 78, I am feeling just like you... I have been riding for 62 years, have rode to 49 states, most of them several times.. After owning six BMW's and many other Brands over the years, my legs also are no longer capable of safely handling the weight of two wheels...my confidence has diminished considerably .. I recently sold my 2019 R1250RT, and have decided to move to three wheels, a trike.. I continue to be a MOA member and hopefully will still be accepted as a member at their Weekend Getaways... Remember the saying "You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding"..... While on my way to a Weekend Getaway in Arkansas this last year, at a gas stop, I met a man from Fargo, ND riding two wheels, he was 94 !!!!! Another mentor.... Take care, stay healthy !!!!!!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Tip of my hat to you sir! I haven't been without a bike (dirt mostly) since 1968 and at the age of 64 anticipate many more years of riding but one never knows I guess. I'd say those of us that have embraced our passion for 2 (or 3) wheels this long are truly blessed. I don't envy the call, but admire you for making it. All my best wishes for what the future holds regarding riding again or not.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I too have never had the pleasure of meeting but have read many of your posts from this site. The depressing part of aging in general is the loss of ability to do things we truly love. Now and then I’ll think of when it’ll be my time to say “I just can’t do this anymore” and it makes me feel a bit down. Hopefully I will have a few years to go before I have to hang up my spurs also. But look at the bright side, you were born at the right time and got to fully enjoy the gasoline sucking, exhaust belching, piston engine powered vehicles of yesterday and today. Things that many future generations will probably be denied.

Ahhh, to roll on the throttle and hear that exhaust sing or feel those ponies trying to get out from under you as one accelerates out of a turn. The wind on your face or the beautiful sights and smells on the road will never be forgotten. Even if you never get back in the saddle, you’ve experienced so much in a lifetime, so much change and advancing technology. Some of the changes may have been bad but most of it good and rewarding. I wonder in a hundred years from now if people will view our behavior as adventure seeking cowboys of our era or untethered wild animals! Either way they’ll never know what they missed! At least we got to live it and I for one will be glad to have been a part of those great times.

Reactions: biker01red

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I too have never had the pleasure of meeting but have read many of your posts from this site. The depressing part of aging in general is the loss of ability to do things we truly love. Now and then I’ll think of when it’ll be my time to say “I just can’t do this anymore” and it makes me feel a bit down. Hopefully I will have a few years to go before I have to hang up my spurs also. But look at the bright side, you were born at the right time and got to fully enjoy the gasoline sucking, exhaust belching, piston engine powered vehicles of yesterday and today. Things that many future generations will probably be denied.

Ahhh, to roll on the throttle and hear that exhaust sing or feel those ponies trying to get out from under you as one accelerates out of a turn. The wind on your face or the beautiful sights and smells on the road will never be forgotten. Even if you never get back in the saddle, you’ve experienced so much in a lifetime, so much change and advancing technology. Some of the changes may have been bad but most of it good and rewarding. I wonder in a hundred years from now if people will view our behavior as adventure seeking cowboys of our era or untethered wild animals! Either way they’ll never know what they missed! At least we got to live it and I for one will be glad to have been a part of those great times.
WOW! Your poetic description of riding makes me want to run out this afternoon and buy another bike! Of course that ain't gona happen But, thank you and the others that have offer your well wishes and understanding.

Reactions: hschisler
1 - 8 of 8 Posts