BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everone, I ride a Suzuki 650 sport bike, but I am posting here because my dad rides a 1200 LT.

I am wondering if anyone has any good birthday gift ideas for my dad, most likely motorcycle related since I'm posting here. And add-ons that you can't do without? Along the lines of $30 and below is what I'm looking for.

I can think of about 10 small things I would like for my bike, but they are quite different.

Thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just go for a ride with your dad. Thats the best gift you can give him and it's under 30 bucks.

Ed

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Book a table some place, and ride the bikes over there and have dinner.

Just the two of you, as a grandfather, i'd like that from any of the kids.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
It's a bit more than $30, but if your father likes to do some of his own work on the bike (or wants to learn) a Clymer repair manual fits the bill. $40-$50, depending on where you buy it.

I also like the idea of a surprise ride with your Dad to some scenic place. Just sit and talk about life. I think all Dads would like that. :cool:

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Do the even make ANYTHING for the LT that is $30.00 or less :histerica
I think the ride & a lunch or dinner is a great Idea.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
katnapinn said:
Do the even make ANYTHING for the LT that is $30.00 or less :histerica
Last week I bought a caliper bolt for $1.88. I expected to pay $10.00 for it. They were so cheap I bought 3 extras just because I could. :eek:

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
hschisler said:
Last week I bought a caliper bolt for $1.88. I expected to pay $10.00 for it. They were so cheap I bought 3 extras just because I could. :eek:
Well you are right, I did get a Shift linkage ball joint for under $2.00 once. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
How about a membership in the BMW MOA? The magazine alone is worth the membership price, IMO. www.bmwmmoa.org

Or, maybe a subscription to one of the many motorcycle magazines out there.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
MOA membership is a good idea,
or you could wash and wax his bike for him.

Still time is your most precious possession,
share some of it with him!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
svinaz said:
Hello everone, I ride a Suzuki 650 sport bike, but I am posting here because my dad rides a 1200 LT.

I am wondering if anyone has any good birthday gift ideas for my dad, most likely motorcycle related since I'm posting here. And add-ons that you can't do without? Along the lines of $30 and below is what I'm looking for.

I can think of about 10 small things I would like for my bike, but they are quite different.

Thanks for the ideas!
Here's sumpthin' that is relatively inexpensive at the outset, butt could result in your dad spending more of your inheritance than you'd like!! :histerica ;)

When this thread runs it's course, ask one of the admins to send it to the wastebasket so your dad doesn't see it later - then get your dad signed up here as a member of the forums. He'll have lots of late night reading here; he'll find lots of items that he'll want to add to his LT - and we'll show him where to gett'em and how to install 'em; he can sign up for our annual CCR rally and personally thank all those people that helped him spend your inheritance!!! ;)

Of course, if you have to buy him a computer system in order to do all this, then we just blew your budget, didn't we?? ;) OK, get him signed up at the local library and he can use their computers - again within your budget!!

Butt, if you insist on spending the 30 bones or so, then take him to din-din and then tell him about us!! Then give him a hug - really; and you don't have to wait on birthdays to do that!!

And tell him Happy Birthday from all of us! :wave

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
+10 on Dicks advice.....................and another +10 on spending the time..........................you'll see a day soon when you'll wonder 'where did it all go?'

:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
svinaz said:

Thanks for the ideas!
I agree with the others, but will add grip puppies as an inexpensive add-on that is worth the $8 or whatever they cost now. The real value is if you install them for him! That is a real PITA. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
As someone who lost my Dad in 2006, I agree completely with the previous posters on spending time. I would pay anything in the world for a couple of hours with my Dad today.

Wednesday, I leave for a 5 day ride in the Texas Hill country with my son. These rides mean more to me than anything he could possibly purchase for me.

I also unequivocally agree with introducing your father to this site, if he is not already familiar. The wisdom and the willingness to openly share it is amazing here. The rapidity of assistance from members here never ceases to amaze me. Your father cannot find more information about the LT - ANYWHERE.

Sage wisdom and solid integrity, like which you will receive from Dick, for example, will serve you well on a motorcycle or equally well in day-to-day life.

Finally, if you have to buy him something, pick up some Grip Puppies, take them over to his house, put 'em on with your Dad, and go for a ride. Coffee shop, restaurant it doesn't matter where - just who!

IMHO

John

·
Registered
809 Posts
I don't know what relationship your Dad may have to the military; some retirees strap a teddy bear with their former unit's logo embroidered on it. My oldest son and his fiancee bought me a sailor bear for Christmas last year (I'm retired Navy); the bear rides good on the luggage rack. Some riders also have bells given them for good luck. They are probably available at a local bike shop; smallish, about 1" tall that hangs off the lower chassis. Some guys use it as a lean angle indicator.

But the time, ahh - that would be a great gift as well! Any good hole-in-the-wall coffee shop that's out-of-the-way for a ride together.

Enjoy the time with your Dad and tell him you love him!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone so far, I'm liking the ideas. I actually live out of state, so the ride/meal ideas are good but I won't be visiting for a few more weeks and I'm taking a plane.

I will plan on introducing my dad to this forum if he hasn't found it already, so I'm trying to be a little generic in the information I'm giving.

So far I'm leaning towards BMW MOA membership or grip puppies (are these helpful on an LT?) On my bike the shifter scuffs my shoes, and I know my dad rides his bike to work often, is this an issue on the LT? I was thinking of possibly shift covers or shoe skinz to keep the shoes scuff free.

Thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
385 Posts
svinaz said:
Thanks everyone so far, I'm liking the ideas. I actually live out of state, so the ride/meal ideas are good but I won't be visiting for a few more weeks and I'm taking a plane.

I will plan on introducing my dad to this forum if he hasn't found it already, so I'm trying to be a little generic in the information I'm giving.

So far I'm leaning towards BMW MOA membership or grip puppies (are these helpful on an LT?) On my bike the shifter scuffs my shoes, and I know my dad rides his bike to work often, is this an issue on the LT? I was thinking of possibly shift covers or shoe skinz to keep the shoes scuff free.

Thanks for the ideas!
The ground scuffs the soles of my left foot when I'm cornering. My feet usually hit before my center stand does.

1+ on the BMW MOA membership & the grip puppies. Another nice gift would be a Stebel Nautilus horn or a Beadrider

If he lives in a hot area, Under Armor Heat Gear is always a nice gift, or maybe a camelback or platypus hydration system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts