BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry Guys

I tried searching this site to answer my questions but could not find it.

I am looking at the 2 bikes, GW or LT. I know the advanatges of Honda as having a good dealer network if I have to get things worked on. BMW there far a few. I live in the Phoenix Area and there are 2 BMW dealerships in a 25 mile radius. Honda has 5 or 6.

I am hearing of drive train issues on the BMW. Is this really a common occurance ? With GW, I never hear of failures, that could be because I have not researched enough. For those who have ride or have ride both, could I get some input on Cons and Pros.

Thank you

Marty Galison :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the link

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've ridden both but have never owned a Goldwing.

One point in favor of the LT that is becoming more and more relevant is better gas mileage. LT riders regularly report average mileage in the high 40s.

It used to be that the BMW braking and suspension were far beyond the Wing but when Honda began offering ABS (in 2001?), that closed the gap on the braking. The BMW telelever front suspension beats a conventional fork hands down. There is no comparison in full-out emergency braking to a telelever (or duolever) equipped BMW.

My two cents.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Take the Wing on a long demo ride over some bad streets/roads. It rides like a truck! Also gets much worse gas mileage, in my Experience 5-10 mpg worse. In fairness, I liked the clutch and transmission much better. Also, I'd hate to give up my power windsheild.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi Marty,
I havn't owned a modern era wing, (my last one was an 83 which I liked very much,) but I ride with a guy regularly who owns one. When out on long rides, we swap bikes once in a while so we can each see how the other half lives.

My thoughts on the wing are it seems less nimble at speed, but the power and torque are good. It is smooth as a sewing machine for sure. I don't have near the confidence in the twisties as I do on my LT. It feels lower and long to me. I wouldn't hesitate to own one (if there were no LT!)

His take on the LT is that it is more of a handful at parking lot speed but overall, he likes the handling quite well. He is impressed greatly with the adjustable windshield. He also was disappointed that the LT got more looks at rest stops than his wing did as they sat side by side. (One of my HD buddies was really miffed that the LT drew a small crowd when his new Night Train was parked right beside it!)

I live in phx area too, and have had good luck so far with Victory BMW in Chandler.

My LT miles have been relatively trouble free. (Had a criuse control issue that now seems to be fixed.)

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
nelson61 said:
If your over 50 ..grey hair and a gut...gold wing.:p
Hey, 2 out of 3 and no way I'd get a GW (well, very little gut, more than I'd like though :p), and I have test ridden one (GW) once. It was nice if all you do is super-slabbing.... but I wasn't quite so comfortable in the twisty bits.
Nice seat though compared to std BMW (an RM fixed that for me).

I think it was the sight of a GW parked on it's side down a sleep slope (not long after my test ride) that really put me off though, thinking how the hell they'd get it back on the road!:histerica Point being I think the beemer would've handled the corner better!

·
Registered
321 Posts
How tall are you? If you are very tall you won't fit on a wing. I tried one of the new ones. My knees hit the fairing. I was told that for another $3,000 I might be able to get it comfortable..
I also 2nd the age comment above.
They are soooooo different. The BMW comes with more strings.. Like more mechanical issues, higher maint costs, but it's well worth the cost.
If all you want to do is ride the Interstate in comfort, and not worry about mechanical issues etc. Go w/ the Wing..
Just my $.02 (about what it's worth.)
Jeff

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
nelson61 said:
Woah, woah, woah... What's wrong with 50???

·
Registered
370 Posts
GW or LT...

LT = :D :bike:

GW = :mad: :deadhorse

LT = US - HERE - THIS FORUM ! :dance:

....and then....

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
One of the reasons I chose the LT over the wing was that when I test rode the wing through Tucson towards the interstate, it roasted my left foot.

Plus, the wing dealers were wing-dings compared to the local BMW dealer.

One WIng dealer actually wanted me to negotiate a purchase price for a wing before I could test ride one.

The best test ride I got of a wing was a used one that someone traded in on a new one.

Bob

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been reading this site for a while and ride a gl1800. I've always thought the LT is the best looking touring bike on the market. But I have to take exception to a couple of things said here.

How tall are you? If you are very tall you won't fit on a wing. I tried one of the new ones. My knees hit the fairing. I was told that for another $3,000 I might be able to get it comfortable...
Only a small exception taken here. You can make the 1800 fit a long legged guy for under $2000. I "wrote the book" on that. But like someone else said, the wing "rides like a truck." That is absolutely true...with a stock suspension. Spend another $2600 on a Traxxion suspension system and the truck becomes a Corvette. Since I've never ridden an LT, I can't make a comparison. [Anyone want to give me the opportunity?] I sat on one at a dealership and knew that I'd have to spend money for a new seat, highway pegs and handlebar risers, if they make them for the LT.

If all you want to do is ride the Interstate in comfort, and not worry about mechanical issues etc. Go w/ the Wing..
Just my $.02 (about what it's worth.)
I hate the superslabs and rarely ride them. I prefer the twisties of the N. GA mountains. Now, I've never ridden with any LT riders and would enjoy doing so in order to find out whether or not I can keep up with them. I suspect that I could with most. [Anyone willing to disabuse me of this notion? Winner buys lunch?] When you put me in my place, [as would happen if you're really good,] I'll set you up to ride with Yellow Wolf. [See below.]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

·
Registered
371 Posts
nelson61 said:
Damn! Guess I better put the LT for sale. And the old lady. Because she'll go with the LT for sure.
That is if YOU'RE correct. :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
hallzee said:
Woah, woah, woah... What's wrong with 50???
Nothing if you are a tree :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've watched the Yellow Wolf video before. (I went the Gap last spring.) It is a pretty remarkable video. If I remember correctly there is a lot of metal on pavement sound during the video.
I'm sure the Wing is a great bike. It was not for me. I really felt cramped on it. (I am 6'5")
It was also a very warm day when I did my test ride. Every time I put my feet out on the "very nice" highway foot rests, my legs were toasted..
The LT is just a different animal, they are very hard to compare.
I was able to go on a long test ride on the LT. A nice twisty 2 lane road along the Mississippi river in Southern MO. The LT just "felt" so much better to me. I also had previously thought the elec windshield was a gimmick. It took about 2 miles in town, then out on the road to realize it is a great asset.
I do wish the mechanical issues were the same.. I do not do my own work, but am fortunate to have two guys who are Master BMW mechanics, and worked at St Louis BMW for years, set up down the street from me running a small bike shop. :)

Jeff

·
Registered
26 Posts
justlookin said:
I've watched the Yellow Wolf video before. (I went the Gap last spring.) It is a pretty remarkable video. If I remember correctly there is a lot of metal on pavement sound during the video.
I'm sure the Wing is a great bike. It was not for me. I really felt cramped on it. (I am 6'5")
It was also a very warm day when I did my test ride. Every time I put my feet out on the "very nice" highway foot rests, my legs were toasted..
The LT is just a different animal, they are very hard to compare.
I was able to go on a long test ride on the LT. A nice twisty 2 lane road along the Mississippi river in Southern MO. The LT just "felt" so much better to me. I also had previously thought the elec windshield was a gimmick. It took about 2 miles in town, then out on the road to realize it is a great asset.
I do wish the mechanical issues were the same.. I do not do my own work, but am fortunate to have two guys who are Master BMW mechanics, and worked at St Louis BMW for years, set up down the street from me running a small bike shop. :)

Jeff
Yeah. The peg dragging was on the second bike. YW doesn't drag. In the video he was riding a stock suspension as well. He switched over to Traxxion later on and decreased his time on the Dragon by a minute.

It's funny how different people feel on different machines. I'm only 6'2" with a 32 1/2" inseam and didn't even want to take the dealer up on the offer to test ride the LT because I was so cramped. Of course, I was cramped on the 1800 as well, but fixed that. Toward the end of the link below is a picture of a 6'5" rider on his modified wing. But each to his own. Whatever gives a good ride is the ride to take.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=160917#160917

The adjustable windshield is cool. You can get an aftermarket one for the 1800 but it's not the same as having it from the get-go. Honda has the problem of trying to satisfy all of us old farts by keeping it as low in price as possible and still trying to get the young guys to ride as well.

I've already got one offer from a rider in Illinois to come on down. Any others? :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
H*LY CR*P Batman - those were some ugly a*s seats...:histerica

·
Registered
26 Posts
steamboatjohn said:
H*LY CR*P Batman - those were some ugly a*s seats...:histerica
:histerica They are. Butt [sic] I can't see 'em when I'm riding. They're made specifically for fat old men who are too old and stiff and don't want to get off until they run out of gas. [Of course, most of us never run out of "gas"...if you catch my drift...and if you do...you won't like it. :) ]

·
Registered
271 Posts
Both great bikes, just tailored a bit different. Find the best fit for you.

Personally, I would buy a Goldwing in a heartbeat...I just happened to buy an LT in a half-heartbeat :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts