BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased this Kuryakyn rack last week before riding down to the Panama City Beach Thunder Rally. It worked out great!!! It only took about an hour to install. Having a second set of hands worked well!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Purchased this Kuryakyn rack last week before riding down to the Panama City Beach Thunder Rally. It worked out great!!! It only took about an hour to install. Having a second set of hands worked well!!!
Blasphemy! Honda parts on a GTL?? :dance: :D

Looks good. You might want to get RocketMoto washers to increase the "footprint". There have been some reports of the Top Case cracking with narrow rack washers. See attached.

Attachments

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Blasphemy! Honda parts on a GTL?? :dance: :D

Looks good. You might want to get RocketMoto washers to increase the "footprint". There have been some reports of the Top Case cracking with narrow rack washers. See attached.
Plus 1

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
With the rear legs at an angle and not resting squarely I think it looks - well - out of place.

Those rear legs are going to punch a hole or crack the case the first time you put a heavy load on it - and hit a rough stretch of road. You're focusing 90% of the load on two spots the size of a pinhead.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I agree with Ron. You're going to punch holes in the case unless you machine some spacers to flatten out the footprint. Sacrificing a good polypropelene cutting board comes to mind.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
With the rear legs at an angle and not resting squarely I think it looks - well - out of place.

Those rear legs are going to punch a hole or crack the case the first time you put a heavy load on it - and hit a rough stretch of road. You're focusing 90% of the load on two spots the size of a pinhead.
Uhhhh... Ron, you did forget to compliment the professional installation and appearance of the Wunderlich Rack with RocketMoto washers on my GTL..... :rolleyes:

Oh wait... Not a ghetto mod!! LOL

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Uhhhh... Ron, you did forget to compliment the professional installation and appearance of the Wunderlich Rack with RocketMoto washers on my GTL..... :rolleyes:

Oh wait... Not a ghetto mod!! LOL
They looks mahvelous dahling! :D

I learned that lesson on a Harley rack I installed on my ghetto BMW trailer. Without even having ANY weight on it I started to get hairline cracks in the plastic. Placing some aluminum angle underneath along with steel and neoprene fender washers mitigated the problem.

That might be a possible solution for the OP. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the input fellas. Points all well taken. I have already ordered the Rocket Moto kit.

I guess I was lucky to ride 900+ miles this past week with the wife having about 10lbs on that rack. I won't use it again until I get the Moto kit installed.

I looked at the Wunderlich rack and just didn't like the "tubing" look. I think I will set this rack up in a mill and mill the two rear feet "square" to the surface of the case, that should do the trick.

Thanks again,

Brian

BTW, thanks for the pics Ron!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts