Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i really like my lt and preferred 2 up riding on my prev bikes
i got quite a shock when i had a pillion on board weighing 10 stone
i found myself cocentrating like crazy, the weight difference became apparent
especialy stuck in traffic on a steep hill going downwards
moving forward in 15 foot bursts caused lunatic weaving
i think the bars being so far back didnt help.
i noticed on the new goldwing riders seemed to move along effortless 2 up
i wonder if the bars are better kind of higher and further forward
sure would appreciate some feedback especially if any of u guys have owned a goldwing
u can prob answer my questions
cheers
robert

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Robert,

Only 10 stone ( 120 lbs ) ?. Was it the first pillion you had ever had on the back ?.

Sounds to me that either the rear shock is shot or that it wasn´t adjusted properly.

Simon

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
My ex weighs many more stones :rotf: I must have gotten used to it, never bothered me. Recently I had a passenger that is a perfect 10 (stones that is :D ) and I had to look back several times to make sure I had not lost anything. It all depends on what you are used too. :rotf: :rotf:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Low speed, high seat, wide body work and high CG. Creeping in traffic is the most difficuly mode for a LT.

A Gold Wing on the other hand is narrower at the rider's legs, lower seat, lower CG. It seems to me that creeping in traffic will be easier on a Gold Wing.

·
Registered
509 Posts
10 stone is more like 140 lbs.....so not exactly petite!!..but certainly no "wide-body" either...unless she's only 3 ft tall maybe. ;)

·
Registered
748 Posts
My wife is just that size and I have never had a problem. I hardly know she is behind me. I am also vertically challenged for the LT (5' 8" with a 30 " inseam).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ride with a friend who has a 1500 WIng....his wife is always complaining about buffeting & wind noise. He is constantly experimenting with windshield variations.
On our K1200LT (btw, I understand that "LT" means "light truck"?) my wife says that she never has a problem with buffeting or wind noise. The Vancouver BC BMW dealer told me that the LT was wind-tunnel designed for two-up riding. That said, having driven both bikes, the LT is a better highway bike, but can be a handful in city traffic (I just got used to it) The Wing seems to have a lower CG, and its low end torque makes it easy to handle in town.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
simoncharles said:
Robert,

Only 10 stone ( 120 lbs ) ?. Was it the first pillion you had ever had on the back ?.

Sounds to me that either the rear shock is shot or that it wasn´t adjusted properly.

Simon
i think this could be the problem i think when i first got the bike we tried to turn the shock
and it wouldnt move that was 2 years ago and i must have forgot about it
i will have to see a mechanic i think
cheers

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Check the setting on the rear shock and maybe pull the adjuster loose from the mounts and the banjo fitting off of the bottom and see if it needs more oil.......

My '03 was a mite sloppy until I filled the reservoir. Now lifes good even with 14 stone on the pillion.............. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Robert,
The LT has all ways been a little hard to handle when going slow, in particular the models prior to 2005. BMW changed the steering rake on the 2005 vastly changing the handling.
We owned a 2000 model and she was a real pig in city slow moving traffic, but I mastered the challenge with practice. The "Speed Limiter" (misses) was instructed to sit still when ever we were about to stop, but on the new bike none of the previous challenges.
BMW made three major changes this year. The seat was made narrower, they added a few horse power and the altered the steering rake, making for a completely different feel to the bike. I'm 61 and have arthritis quite bad, but love the bike although finding her a tab heavy.
Hope this helps in your quest. Happy motoring mate!
Regards,
Bruce
West Australia

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have a 2002 LTC.. Had the same problem at slow speeds with the same wt. When I installed the lower seat it made a huge difference,, not in as much as the ht, but the bit more narrow seat.....
Slow is still a hassle, but much better with the low seat.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Palerider said:
Check the setting on the rear shock and maybe pull the adjuster loose from the mounts and the banjo fitting off of the bottom and see if it needs more oil.......

My '03 was a mite sloppy until I filled the reservoir. Now lifes good even with 14 stone on the pillion.............. ;)
i will check that
cheers for info

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cheers guys
i sure appreciate all the help
the shock adjuster was set on high i had to take the centre screw out and use
a spanner to loosen nut i turned it to mid point
it feels very comfortable now and lower in seat if that makes sense
but the high setting was correct cos on my original post i stated i was 2up