BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After dropping the bike three times in a day (low speed/no speed) with the SO on the pillion, I have o persuade her to get back on the bike. (I've described my learning experiences earlier elsewhere on this forum).

The current issue in the debate is this: do Gold Wing riders have the same problem? (Neighbors have a GW and that SO is a happy camper).

I teach medieval literature, and so my Google technique may be deficient, since a quill pen doesn't always get me what I need. But I haven't found a Gold Wing site like the BMW sites I read daily (K11og, K-bikes and this one).

Has anyone seen comments from Gold Wing riders on low speed riding techniques/challenges? If so, please provide a link so that I can help her rationalize the problem...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Why dontcha run over to the Honda dealer and ride one? They probably have a used one over there with a few scratches on it that you can drop a time or two. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
My 03 wing was much less top heavy feeling with a passenger than my LT. Other things about it made me sell it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Big_E said:
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/index.php

...if you're dropping the L.T. you will drop the wing.
That's just not true.

As someone who owns both, I can you tell you my Wing has never taken a nap. My LT has "slept" a number of times.

Is the Wing "drop proof"? Of course not - no bike is. But it's CG is much lower.

Does that make the Wing a better bike? Also, of course not. They are just simply, different.

·
Registered
401 Posts
no comparison

Wing=ugly
LT=aerodynamically beautiful

:stir:

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Try taking the Experienced Rider Course offered by an MFS school in your area or seek out and sign up for an alternative course that teaches slow ride techniques. Even if you ultimately switch to a GW the experience will give you new confidence and improve your skill level.

As far as LT vs GW, if your going to do most of your riding on city streets, parking lots, and super slab then the GW is a fine bike. On the other hand, if you desire to go play in Hill Country or head north to the mountains then the Lt is a far better mount. Yes the GW is somewhat easier to handle during slow speed maneuvering but with a little effort and practice the LT can compete equally well in that area. I put about 250,000 miles on a total of three GW's prior to getting my 1st Lt in 1999. I now have an '05 Lt and have a combined mileage of 240,000 on the Beemers and never looked back.

What ever you decide, ride safe and keep the chrome side up!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
My advice is to practice on the LT more. I've been fortunate so far. Had a few close calls when I first got it. But none yet with the wife on board that really scared me. It's no the bike, really. It responds to your imputs, which cause it to fall over if they aren't correct for that bike. Yes it is different from other bikes, but all bikes require a learning curve. I read your other thread. My suggestion would be more practice time one up, before selling the LT or changing to a Wing. the wing is just as heavy and sounds like you need more practice. Just my opinion. Maybe run that LT thru an advanced course as you did the 11.

Tell the wife you need more practice and don't stirke out on a 2 up trip until you are very confident in your own ability to handle the LT or any other bike alone.

I can't stress enough how important regular PRACTICE is for motorcyclists. that means going out and finding a place to start/stop a lot. Or make U turns or whatever. Pick one skill and work on it for a month. Really concentrate on that skill every time you ride. Ride often. I have ridden 6K miles since I got mine, in a year. On a bike that had barely more than that in it's first three years with prev owner. He said he wasn't really comfortable with the LT. Gee, wonder why?

I ride nowhere near as much as many on this board. If you don't/can't give it the time to get better, it never gets better. IMO, a Wing is going to be just as likely to go down.

just my thoughts on this, brought on by a rash of stories on here and seeing riders with poor skills (not that you have poor skills) on the road of late.

Randy

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
bibleman said:
That's just not true.

As someone who owns both, I can you tell you my Wing has never taken a nap. My LT has "slept" a number of times.

Is the Wing "drop proof"? Of course not - no bike is. But it's CG is much lower.

Does that make the Wing a better bike? Also, of course not. They are just simply, different.

I had one the same color as yours & now have a LT the same coloras yours. The wing was less top heavy, true but, the only time I could tell is if I was standing still & leaning it over. It made no difference to me when riding. With any bike, you lean it over to far when not moving, it doesn't matter how big & strong you are, it's going down.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Big_E said:
I had one the same color as yours & now have a LT the same coloras yours. The wing was less top heavy, true but, the only time I could tell is if I was standing still & leaning it over. It made no difference to me when riding. With any bike, you lean it over to far when not moving, it doesn't matter how big & strong you are, it's going down.
You are correct that if you use bad technique, any bike will go down.

However, all else being equal, in slow and no speed situations (which was the issue the original poster was asking about), the Wing is more forgiving. I have had to stop unexpectedly with the bars turned on both bikes. With the Wing, no drama. With the LT, either a close call or a bike nap.

Now obviously, we all know that best technique is for you to always have the bars straight when stopping, but sometimes circumstances dictate otherwise.

Above 5 mph, it doesn't matter anymore. The LT sheds it's slow speed difficulties and is a dream ride.

Regards,

Joe

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wing vs LT

I had a wing back in the 80's and then got away from riding. Bought a 07 LT this year and have put 8,000 miles on in about 6 months including a trip to Canada. The LT is top heavy. I've found that you need to plan your turns so that you can keep a little momentum going so that the bike does not heel over when turning slow. I have had to stop quickly w/ the front tire turned. You have to get a foot down and start to get the bike upright early on or you have to take the weight on your leg. As to two up riding I have done a few trips w/ a partner and found the LT to be a great two up bike but still subject to the low speed concerns. I agree with a previous post, you need to practice slow speed turning in a parking lot by yourself before riding with a passenger. All bikes have their quirks, the LTs are no different in that respect but I have found the bike to be a real kick in the pants on scenic roads with a turn or two and it seems to just love to cruise at 80-90.

·
Registered
495 Posts
You must be vertically challanged. I put a lot of miles on a GL1500, and Valk w/o a problem - I still have a Valk (much to the frustration of my SO). When the new GL1800 came out, my dealer (who knows me very well) asked me to come in and put a couple of hundred miles on one. I could not do it. It felt like I was riding a mini-bike - perched on top. No leg room, towering over the windshield, pushed too far forward, etc.. To me, the GL18 is neither comfortable nor safe for/to me.

When I returned the bike with my comments, I was told that all my issues could be fixed with a new (aftermarket) seat and set of bars for only $2,800.

I don't feel that one should buy a $20K+ Touring bike and be required to add $3K before you ride off. Changing items by choice is another issue. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
16 Posts
I almost have the same thought with you. I dropped my bike in the dealer’s parking lot. I was dropped several times after that. I almost give up and try to move to different bike. But meanwhile I learned from this site to do low speed practice. – keep hand bar straight, head up and left foot touch ground. After that I never drop my bike.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had an 01 Wing and I thought it was a great bike,handled great,had power and to me it looked nice especially in the illusion blue I had.For a comparison between the Lt and the Gl1800 I can refer to a ride we did from Co. west up the coast into Canada with 2 Wings an I think it was an 01 LT. Power and torque the GL rules. Brakes even,handling slight advantage to the LT because of cornering clearence. Luggage the Wing especially if the LT has the CD player in it.Cockpit/windshield goes to the LT. Low speed handling the Wing gets the nod. Accessories/ease of hooking up mp3's etc. the Wing wins. Mileage slight advantage to the LT. 2 up the SO thinks she's more comfy in the Wing. I'm 6'2" 220lbs and I did not think the Wing was crowded especially with a good set of highway pegs..Basically it's a toss up on what you would want between the 2 bikes. It will probably come down to which one fits you the best and the one that you can handle the best. :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
A dropped Gold wing is not a very pretty sight....teddy bears scattered all over the place... :histerica

·
Registered
353 Posts
K1200LTryder said:
A dropped Gold wing is not a very pretty sight....teddy bears scattered all over the place... :histerica
:histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica

Not many LTs around here. When ever I stop when out riding someone always comes up to talk about the bike. I had a couple of Wing riders ask about getting it back up when dropped. Knock on wood it has not happened to me YET. These guys said the could not get their wings back up by themselves. I am 5'6" 220 lbs and have had some exciting monents when riding 2 up and had to stop with wheel turned. You just have to be ready at all times when moving slow. I did test ride both bikes before I bought the LT. The seat on the wing and center of gravity is a bit lower but it does go down as mentioned above. Mine you I was riding a 1984 Yamaha Venture before this so I have some experience with this type of bike at slow speeds.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a lot of friends who ride wings and I have never seen them wobble or fall. I have ridden a couple of wings, a 98 and an 04 and I could handle the 98, but the seat on the 04 was not made for a 5' 8" guy like me. I felt the handling was great on both, even at slow speeds, but the seat on the 04 made me go so far forward at stops that to touch ground I had to be too far forward to be comfortable. Someone else posted about the cost of the after market seat replacement, and I agree, shouldn't have to pay extra out the door to have a bike "fit".

The LT fits me perfect, and the only time I have a handling issue is when the passenger floorboards are down. When I am by myself without the passenger floorboards down, I usually handle this thing as if I were on my crotch rocket, but with slower take offs. Slow maneuvering is a breeze. With the passenger boards down, I am limited on where I can place my feet forward/aft of center and it really trips me up. I am getting better, but my wife may have to back to stock pegs if I can't overcome the boards.

The GL is awesome, not doubt, but it didn't fit me. The LT fits just fine and I like the added features you will have to pay extra for on the GL. My $.02

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks

The discussion was helpful.

I've been doing drills, solo, on the LT in light of the information I found scattered around this site. The bike is a keeper; my challenge is to get the SO confident enough to enjoy riding again.

I've gotten the impressionistic answer from the replies so far: this site offers good data (76% of over 300 respondents have done a no speed/low speed drop) but the same kind of hard data doesn't seem readily accessible for Gold Wing riders, though what folks have said suggests that the problem isn't as acute with that bike.

No big deal: I was simply hoping to tell the SO that this is not a problem with me or with the LT but simply with 800 lb. bikes and inexperienced riders.

But we'll do a trip on Sunday--just a four hour one--and we'll see how it works out. I was so excited when I got the bike just as I was giving up one of my two jobs (retiring from the Army Reserve) and would finally have the time to do some serious riding with her.

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Ride by yourself for a while

I'm not sure of your experience, but if you are not YET comfortable by your self, you are not ready for a passenger. You WILL get comfortable, but it takes everyone a different amount of time and miles.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts