BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the site and BMW's.

Going to look at a ride this weekend its a 2001 ltc with 14,000miles. Any imput of what to look/listen for would be great. Realy dont want to buy another persons headaches. Trying to make a preinspection checklist so i dont buy it get it home and say DAMM :mad: why didnt i see that!!!!!!

Thanks again

John

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Chect the service records. Check for leaks between the engine and driveshaft (under). Try to move the rear wheel side to side, should be no play. Check to see if the 12K service was done. Make sure the clutch doesn't slip. Give it a good test drive. Make sure the ABS works. Good luck.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Do as mentioned above and enjoy the ride.
Also see if there is any waranty left on the ridde

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike is a 01 so i dont expect it to be flawless mainly woried about the major things. 13.5 is low milage just kinda wondering why? I do plan on changing all fluids at day one.

John

·
Registered
938 Posts
Pull the boot back at the swingarm and check for leaks or a small o-ring type seal I found in mine. Seller might have cleaned up oil around boot but if you look inside after the test ride you should see some oil if it is leaking.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Any 01 with only that many miles is usually not because of trouble, it's just someone always has an excuse to not ride. If he liked to ride & had a bike that gave him alot of trouble he would have gotten rid of it years ago. There's plenty brad new 6 year old bike in garages, mostly Harleys though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Things to check.

In additon to checking the service records;
Check the throttle cables make sure you do not have excessive slack. There is an "05" upgrade that reduces the twist to full throttle and increases cable life. Excessive twist and cable breakage is common on pre 05 LT's.

Test cruise control, radio, cd, trip computer, all lights, heated grips & seats.
Make sure the trunk latch is not broken and that the gas lid latches. Make sure you get the security system remote, cd player, all manuals, spare key, tool kit, the rubber ball on the end of the center stand, antenna, BMW flashlight that goes in the dash box and ask for all the luggage. Looking at the dealer invoice will help you determine what came with the bike when it was purchased.

If there are no service records you will need at minimum to;

Change all fluids, engine, transmission, final drive, clutch & brake
Inspect & Lubricate the shift linkage
Change the brake pads
Test the battery
Flush and replace the anti freeze
I would also change the plugs while you're at it

Good luck!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Its feels big at 1st

Unless you have rode a big bike before its size may surprise you on the 1st
ride. But believe me it gets better every ride and if you buy, you will soon
love this bike and so will your so. I've had my 00 for a little over a year 14k
miles and no problems at all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the info,
I'm 6'4" 250lbs don't think the weight will be too much of a problem with some practice.

I 'm sure i will be meeting some of you in person soon. :bmw:

John

·
Registered
118 Posts
Handling the LT

I'm about the same size, I've only come close to dropping it once and that was starting from a stop and attempting to turn at the same time with my wife and a full luggage load including luggage on the trunk rack. Just make sure you always start the bike going straight with the front wheel straight and you'll be good to go.

You may want to consider keeping the seat hight on low until you get used to moving the bike around in parking situations and start up situations. It is a very top heavy bike most owners have tipped it over once. Once you get rolling the bike performs more like a sport touring bike.

Your a big guy and the bikes suspension is designed for a 175lb rider if you find the center and side stand are touching down on corners you may need to consider upgrading the suspension. I put a set of Ohlins on my LT and I'm very impressed with the improvement. There are other alternative suspensions, just do a search on shocks or suspension on this site.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Go on a diet.

Almost every bike made is designed with a suspension to accomidate a 185 lbs rider. Yes they add something for luggage and passenger but if your not 185 lbs (and I have not been since Jr High) once you put your 110 lb wife (no comment) and your 50 lbs of luggage (in your two up dreams) your over the top.

For you guys who weigh 175lbs or less with your 110lbs or less wife and your 50lbs or less of two up luggage you're good to go!

My wife may not be the problem but I've got to drive and she has her baggage!

If you never go over the speed limit,just stick to the highways and never ride canyon or mountian roads you can ignore all this information unless you weigh 400lbs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what your really saying is.................. "Eat salad and rice cakes" or get suspension upgrade because the wife weighs a bit more than 110lbs (zip it) and there WILL be luggage.

John

·
Registered
118 Posts
Suspension Upgrades

What I'm really saying is that, I've never had a motorcycle that didn't benefit from a set of Ohlins with just me riding.
Add the wife and her luggage and add the fact that she deserves nothing but the best that I can afford and presto you have a new set of shocks on the way! It's not just a farkle it's a "SAFETY ITEM".
The fact that a properly sprung bike allows me to corner faster is simply a biproduct. Beside if I leave a trail of sparks through every pass in the Sierras who is going to put out all the fires?

·
Registered
713 Posts
tik tak I'm 6'4" and 260 and the LT doesn't even know I'm there......

If the 01 has the rear suspension adjustment under the seat then tune the bike to you........
Your 250 ain't hurting a thing..............Pete

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not sure if the 01 has this feature. I hope so i thought all LT came with the adjustment under the seat? I guess i will find out Monday.

Thanks for all the info

John

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
TikTak said:
I'm not sure if the 01 has this feature. I hope so i thought all LT came with the adjustment under the seat? I guess i will find out Monday.

Thanks for all the info

John
I am 6'2" and have a +36" inseam. I also pass the 200# and my wife is XXX # also. Uhh...lets just say she is petite challenged. We have not had a problem with the stock shocks. I did add some oil to them to beef them up and it's all good now. Two up and with a bit of gear and we are packing close to 500 pounds.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm hooked on the LT so if i need to up-grade then so be it. I have read all the pros and cons here and to me the Pros out weigh the cons (plus I'm hooked on its lines).

John

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok test ride complete

OK well were do i start? 2001 LT 13,500miles

Bike looks spotless. seems to run good.Smooth ride smooth shifts

Things i noticed that I'm unsure about.

Motor seemed loud/clunky but smooth (have not heard many BMW's maybe normal)

ABS lights on at stand still then go out.

Slight noise when clutch is pulled in and out.

No record of 6000 or 12000 service but the first 2 stamped.

No BMW Flashlight :rotf:

Any imput would be great.

Thanks again

John

·
Registered
339 Posts
TikTak said:
OK well were do i start? 2001 LT 13,500miles

Bike looks spotless. seems to run good.Smooth ride smooth shifts

Things i noticed that I'm unsure about.

Motor seemed loud/clunky but smooth (have not heard many BMW's maybe normal)

ABS lights on at stand still then go out.

Slight noise when clutch is pulled in and out.

No record of 6000 or 12000 service but the first 2 stamped.

No BMW Flashlight :rotf:

Any imput would be great.

Thanks again

John

Dont know abot loud and clunky, but the engine does make noises that others dont, and you will come to love them noises.

ABS flashing at a standstill when you first start the bike is normal, as long as they go out after the first 3 feet or so. During that few few feet, you can hear and feel the ABS "hitting" your calipers, it just a cycling phase to test the system. It will not happen again until after you shut the bike down and restart it, if it happens at every stop and go situation, there is a problem.

Slight noise when clutch pulled in and out can be the transmission freewheeling in neutral, and a good clunk when popped into gear is normal

The stamped record is pretty good on the service part, just look for leaks and discolored fluids ( telltale sign off improper maintainence)

Buy a Mini Mag or an LED flashlight. LOL

Sounds like a good bike, if the price is right....GO FOR IT !

:bmw: :dance: :bmw:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts