BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't figured out what besides actually reading a post might cause all of the posts to lose the bold format and go to an "all read" status. Frequently everything in the forum or forums will suddenly change status and I'm lost in trying to press the "last unread" button and zipping to the bottom of the thread.

I'm usually using linear mode.

At first I thought it was related to chasing a link but it happened this morning while I was trying to catch up on the weekend's happening. It makes it frustrating enough that I'm ready to just blow off keeping track of most of the stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've tried using the unread posts links but it lists everything without regard for the thread or the forum. I'd like to go to a forum, read the threads one at a time from oldest to newest, and keep everything unread until I read it or mark it read. Unfortunately it seems the system has a timer or other device that automatically makes the entire forum read and I can't figure out how to work around it.

·
Registered
977 Posts
ED - FWIW I've also been experiencing the same problem and like to read through the forum in the same manner as you - one section at a time, new posts I'm interested in, etc.

A little frustrating when I KNOW there were 30+ unread posts and now they've all been marked as "read."

I try not to use the "back" button and use the "folder" navigation at the top of the screen... Didn't seem to have an effect on when this occurs.

EDIT: On further investigation - looks like posts older than my "you were here last" time automatically get marked as "read," even through I didn't actually read them.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Gino said:
ED - FWIW I've also been experiencing the same problem and like to read through the forum in the same manner as you - one section at a time, new posts I'm interested in, etc.

A little frustrating when I KNOW there were 30+ unread posts and now they've all been marked as "read."

I try not to use the "back" button and use the "folder" navigation at the top of the screen... Didn't seem to have an effect on when this occurs.

EDIT: On further investigation - looks like posts older than my "you were here last" time automatically get marked as "read," even through I didn't actually read them.
Update: As suspected - if you browse to the site, read one post anywhere (as I do with the RSS feed on my Yahoo home page) then close the browser, ALL posts are automagically marked as read, since the "You last visited" time has now been updated.

So looks like the board marks "new" posts based on when you were last on the board for any reason, not if you actually read the forum... (???)

Admins...????

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Edgar,

If you as a Mighty Moderator can't figure it out, we're all in trouble. I likewise would like unread posts to remain marked unread until I actually read them. I can't seem to keep track of what's what either. My whiny $.02 worth....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts