BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just hit 600 miles, happily heading over to South Sound BMW in Seattle area to get my run in oil change in cold 28 degree weather this morning....almost there (within 1 mile), pull up to a stop light (1st in line) and some moron who stopped in the middle of the intersection decides he better not go through, wips it into reverse and proceeds to back into me at a decent rate of speed....WTF...it was the preverbal slow motion event I couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing and couldn't get to the horn or move fast enough to get out of his way. The Right side mirror of my bike went through his rear window on his 2003 VW GTI and knocked my bike over on the left side. Lots of scratches on the right side and when I fell over on the left side got some scratches on the case and broke my BMW hard plastic valve cover but no scratches on the cover so it worked! The right side does have most of the damaged and some pushed in covers, valve cover scratches etc., I was able to ride it the rest of the way to the BMW dealer and his ever so quick estimate was 3-4K worth of damage assuming no frame damage which I am worried about but it did seem to ride ok at the low speed I rode it in to the dealer at.

The police ticketed the guy and he does have insurance, I just received a small contusion above my Alpinestar boot halfway up my shin but it's ok.

Any advice dealing with this guys insurance or any advice period when dealing with a situation like this?

FYI, even though both mirrors made contact (1 with his car and the other the ground) neither mirror popped off although the right housing was loose.

Dave

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sorry to hear that. My bike's got nearly 400 miles but I think I'll do the oil change to avoid getting hit!

Sounds like you've got it under control. If your local laws allow, make a claim for your injury. It ought to buy a farkle or two. I'm sure the dealer will take good care of it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
So sorry, so sorry. I don't know about insurance companies except most will try and get you to bend over--hope you work with the good kind.
The good thing is you'll be OK to ride again, and so will the bike. Hang in there and take care of yourself!!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Dave, sorry for your new baby getting worked over. Best is you are okay. The mirrors on the newer RT's do not pop off any more, they are bolted to a little sub frame that is bolted to the tubular framework of the headlight works. That frame may be bent. What a deal. I just installed a real horn (not the pancake buzzer in current new RT's) just for such foolishness. I was backed into at a gas station years ago. The biggest hassle is the time involved with out a bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Might be a "Total". Go for a new bike if possible and certainly ask if the title will be "marked" after repairs. Value of a bike with a "marked" title is terrible and we see lots of classifieds that claim minor repairs ended up with a marked title. If possible get a new bike and for that you give up pain and suffering claim. Sorry it happened and great that you are OK!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Sorry to hear this Dave, I can imagine how you must feel. I don't know what the insurance may do, but hold out for the most you can get. Make sure the dealer does an in depth inspection and a good estimate. Best wishes.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sorry to hear of the wreck. At least your OK and the bike was ridable.
Get your dealer to fit a nice loud horn while the repairs are being done, then get used to using it so it's automatic to you in case something similar happens again.

Another tip is park up at an angle aiming for the escape route. I must admit I do this with an eye on the rear view mirrors as when stationary this is where the most danger usually is, from the rear. Yours is the 1st instance I've heard of a car reversing at speed at a junction and hitting the bike.
Hope you get the bike back soon.
\v/

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
As Boatzo said, get a good and complete assessment of ALL the damage. A lot of damage not readily apparent is found once the plastic comes off. I would guess both the front and rear subframes will be tweaked and need replacement. Be sure the damage estimate includes new replacement of your riding gear as well. (sometimes you'll get it sometimes you won't- I would bet in this instance you will)

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
How you kept your equanimity, I have no idea. :kaboom:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Dave, sorry to hear about your accident. I had almost the exact same thing happen
to me last year at an intersection, except it was a nice clear day. By the way,
I was clearly in view of the guys side mirror ( I always stay in side mirror view of
the car/truck ahead of me at stop lights). The guy said "I probably saw you but
I wasn't looking for a motorcycle in my mirror".....duh

I hope this is useful information. It was fairly easy for me to deal with his insurance
due to the fact as in your situation, the guy who hit me got ticketed so there
was no arguement from his insurer about paying.....although while the police were
onscene and interviewing us the guy asked the police if there was any way he
could do community service or take classes so he could avoid recieving "points"
on his drivers lisence. I couldn't believe he was asking that with me standing
a foot away. I couldn't resist speaking up and saying "you just admitted backing
up in an intersection and hitting a motorcycle you admit you saw and you're trying
to get out of restriction points on your license.....shame on you." The police
officer agreed and added a second charge of reckless operation to the first charge
of failure to yield right-of-way.

Here's what may be useful. If you were hurt get a lawyer....that is the only
way you'll have an advocate other than an insurance adjuster who is not and
cannot be your advocate. Second is talk to your dealer/mechanic and
ask them to disassemble and inspect any and every part/system of your
bike that could have possibly been damaged or affected by the accident.
Make sure to emphasize that time and labor charges for taking every extra
precaution is not an issue and that if they have any doubts about any
non visible associated damage like wheels being bent, frame, tires, bearings
etc etc, to include replacement of those parts in their estimate.

Make contact with the other guys insurance company immediately
and demand a rental car for the duration of repairs...Make contact
with a single adjuster or claim handler so you can deal with one person only.
I quickly discovered that "car insurance companies" were not very knowledgeable
concerning motorcycle repairs and brands/parts and just how long repairs
could take. I had to remind them several times that I couldn't just take my
motorcycle to any autobody repair shop, and that unlike a car, parts had to
come from the manufacturer and the work had to be done by a certified mechanic.
Also emphasize to them that the components and systems on a mortorcycle are
much more fragile and critical to an operators safety than typical body damage
to a car would be. If you can get them to understand this and commit to working
with your dealer and paying for all the extra disassembly and inspection necessary
to insure complete and safe repair it will make things much easier for you and your
dealer.

If you are at all concerned about the future safety of the machine press the insurance
company for replacement rather than repair. When they consider the time
it will take to dissassemble, inspect, order parts, and reassemble the bike, along
with paying you for a loaner car for 8 to 10 weeks they will quickly consider
replacing your bike.

I hope this helps and good luck. ......Jon

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Well, now you can stop worrying about when and how you're going to put the first scratch on it! :D

When dealing with the insurance company, they will either automatically want to make everything right (some companies have found that they actually save money doing that), or they will try to low-ball you.

If the latter, just keep asking them "How much do you think I'm supposed to pay for the privilege of having your client back into me?"

·
Registered
95 Posts
If your bike gets marked as "salvage title" your bike will be worth much less. I hope that doesn't happen. Like another member noted, getting it 'totaled' could be the best thing. You get a new bike, and no salvage title.

There are just too many idiots driving on the roads today!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for all the suggestions etc., I have no injuries and all my gear is fine. My insurance company (Progressive) called me after I filed the original report with them and a claims rep is going to call me back on Monday. They said I can file the claim through them and the will pay for the repairs and get their money back from the cagers insurance company...I may go that route. Thanks for all the warnings about a marked title etc.

I'll let everyone know how this turns out.

Dave

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Sorry to hear of your accident but happy that you were not injured. Don't be too quick to settle with the insurance company and remember, an insurance adjuster is not your ally... even the one from Progressive. Also, if the extent of the repairs requires a 'salvage' designation on your registration, then you have lost value that is in addition to the repair costs of restoring the bike. Best wishes for a quick return to long rides on your RT.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry to hear about your incident.

One more thing to pass on. Considering the newness of your bike and the obvious change in the value of it, tell your insurance adjustor that you want to file a claim (and use these exact words) for "diminished value." Your bike will go from being a untouched brand new bike to a repaired one that had significant collision damage. In the real world this means your bike is worth less because of the incident. I have seen many clients benefit from this when they have gotten their vehicles repaired at our body shop.

Since you are going through your insurance company for the repairs (and more than likely it's in your policy that diminished value is not paid), also write a letter to the cager's insurance company. They will tell you that diminished value is not covered in the policy, but remember, you did not purchase a policy with the cager's company...you are a claimant who is not bound to the diminished value clause.

This happened to me years ago, when a teenage girl rear ended me and caused frame damage to my brand new Explorer. We got a diminished value adjustment for about $6,000 which I feel accurately represented the drop in value since I now had a "framer."

Hope this helps

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I got the estimate back from South Sound BMW (A great Bunch of guys over there by the way)......A whopping $11,431.68 with tax and labor to repair it! Need a new frame, complete exhaust system including stainless muffler, 2 new case lids, fairing bracket and many other plastic parts, mirrors etc.

You may think this would be a total with the frame damage but my Insurance guy and the BMW Service guys said the repair costs would have to be closer to the value of the bike and in this case it's about half the value so it appears it will be repaired with all new parts (Including the frame which is about $1850 in parts and another $750 to install). I do trust the BMW guys to put it back together correctly and obviously I still will have almost 3 years of warranty left.

As far as a marked title my Insurance guys says that only happens when a bike gets totaled and my title will not be marked. He did say he can't do anything about any car fax repercussions but I could prove to anyone I was selling it to it was repaired with all new parts which is true.

This all sucks but what else can I do?

Dave

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't know about the laws in your state, but California law requires a claimant (as opposed to insured) is entitled to a rental vehicle similar to the vehicle that got damaged while the vehicle is being repaired up to the limits of the policy no matter how long it takes.

My guess is this motorcycle will take a long while to get repaired. If the adjustor takes into account that their insurance company will have to pay for a couple of months of a motorcycle rental (after all that's what you were riding), it might be enough in his/her eyes to send your bike to motorcycle heaven (or off to a chop shop to get "fixed" and appear for sale on Craigslist in a few weeks, but that's another story).

There is no hard and fast rule, but if you bring up the issue of the rental, it certainly could tip the scales in your favor, and you can just get a new bike and quickly put this behind you.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
624 Posts
man I hate that happened for you. I was rear ended, girl had Progressive and they sent a motorbike guy out to my place and wrote me a check on the spot for more than the repair estimate. I feel fortunate compared to your delima. I can not believe how fragile these things are.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, almost a month to the day I have my bike back :dance: South Sound BMW did a great job as I have a basically new bike with new front and rear frames and lots of other plastic parts, complete new exhaust/header etc. Rode it home in the rain :mad: but hey this is Seattle, deal with it! Runs great and all in all a happy ending (Of course I immediately spit shined her when it was back in my garage)

Dave

1 - 20 of 24 Posts