BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welll...I musta upset something. I installed a Garmin 665. Took the top Tupperware off and set aside the Stingray--but did not disconnect it. Routed the new wiring down the left hand side, re-installed all the Tippwrware.
Now here's the problem.

Taking the k1200 out for its first ride w/the new GPS, the bike now all of a sudden does this:
Runs fine at about 1100 rpm on cold start, then as it starts to warm up and the idle rpmscome come down. To about 800prm. THEN--As the engine continues to warm up, idle drops below 600 rps and starts running rough .

I can goose the throttle-- and the engine will respond. Take the bike on the road, and when I back all the way down on the throttle-- the engine will quit-- quickly-- just as if someone shut down the engine. I can restart it-- it will start right up.. And as long as I am giving it some gas, it's okay. Let it go to idle, it stops.

So--

Did I Pinch a gas line perhaps under the faring or the Singray.... Or......please weigh in Gurus. I was feeling very righteousl installing the new GPS and going thru my right of passage on first Tupperware encounter.

Feeling kinda puney right now.

I would like to have some guidance beforeI go another round of Toperware removal.
Signed,

Amateur on a steep learning curve.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Several suggestions will be forthcoming from the gurus here. In the meantime, lemme ask - did you have the battery disconnected during the GPS install? And IF you did, wuz the TPS reset procedure done?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. battery WAS disconnected.

Also-- in starting up the machine again... I noticed when I back the throttle all the way down to the "low position" -- closed throttle-- it mimics what the engine is doing... Come up just a smidge on the throttle-- and it evens out--- sooo-- maybe that's an indication of your diagnosis. I am sure there is a thread on how to do the procedure??

Thanks

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
CaptainCBL said:
Yes. battery WAS disconnected.

Also-- in starting up the machine again... I noticed when I back the throttle all the way down to the "low position" -- closed throttle-- it mimics what the engine is doing... Come up just a smidge on the throttle-- and it evens out--- sooo-- maybe that's an indication of your diagnosis. I am sure there is a thread on how to do the procedure??

Thanks
Click here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did do a reset. But it was still acting up. Pulled all the Tupperware again. Was still acting up...did a minor throttle adjustment--- and it leveled out. All is right with the world again. But not really convinced which action actually produced the fix. It is just weird that throttle adjustment would be the answer,,,when before I did the Garmin installation, there was no hint of a problem.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
594 Posts
CaptainCBL said:
I did do a reset. But it was still acting up. Pulled all the Tupperware again. Was still acting up...did a minor throttle adjustment--- and it leveled out. All is right with the world again. But not really convinced which action actually produced the fix. It is just weird that throttle adjustment would be the answer,,,when before I did the Garmin installation, there was no hint of a problem.

Thanks for the advice.
Now what do you mean by throttle adjust. Throttle / idle is built to adjust itself by a stepper motor. There should not be a need to adjust anythining either in the throttle bodies not to talk about cables - at least to get proper idle. Did you disconnect / removed anything else than TW and battery while installing the GPS?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I didn't. It was straightforward. Removed Tupperware. Installed Gps, and that was it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
What was the "minor adjustment". How did you do it and with what? As said you shouldn't touch nothing in the bodies or cables but through a separate TPS-adjusting procedure. You need a diagnostic device to do that as far as I am aware (GS911 or BMW Moditec). Only normal adjustment is to adjust the slack in the cables but that should not affect idle if done by the instructions.

Might be wrong though and maybe some of the wizards here can comment...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts